Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
tracking fins on X2

At the risk of sounding foolish, Are there tracking fins on an X2? if not why not?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
The X-2 does not have tracking fins as it has more V through the running surface than a conventional ski boat. Typically ski boats have a very flat running surface and thus needs the tracking fins for directional stability, the V in the X-2 hull does this on its own. The V allows the X-2 to have a much smoother ride in rough water, or even when driving through its own waves.

The new X-14V, which is based off of a ProStar hull does have tracking fins.

FWIW the X-2, X-15, X-30, X-35, X-45 and X-55 do not have tracking fins.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
and... yea you can really turn the x2 over a bit if you try really hard but it's pretty easy for me (a 240 lbs+ guy) to turn any boat if i try hard... i couldn't see the fins helping much just from what i've seen from my buddys SANTE 210 which has fins... i can turn his just as much as mine

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
MC Fanatic

I guess my next question would be: Then why does an x-star have tracking fins? dont the X2 and x-star adhere to the same basic hull design theory? ( just on a diffent scale)
Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
The X-2 does not have tracking fins as it has more V through the running surface than a conventional ski boat. Typically ski boats have a very flat running surface and thus needs the tracking fins for directional stability, the V in the X-2 hull does this on its own. The V allows the X-2 to have a much smoother ride in rough water, or even when driving through its own waves.

The new X-14V, which is based off of a ProStar hull does have tracking fins.

FWIW the X-2, X-15, X-30, X-35, X-45 and X-55 do not have tracking fins.
Does the 280/X-80 have tracking fins? I would be concerned about moving it around when I am going through the course.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

i would have to guess that's b/c the x2 is shorter and the "V" takes up a larger percentage of the hull... the hull on an X2 does flatten off in the stern but the ridge from the bow runs over half way length wise

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Does the 280/X-80 have tracking fins? I would be concerned about moving it around when I am going through the course.

Thanks in Advance!
i think that's why the put separate throttle controls on them... so PP can take care of you...

ps you'd be crazy to try running the slalom course behind the X-80... the tower and the ballast tanks add on too much weight... stay light and crispy w/ the 280

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett
Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeX2wake View Post
i think that's why the put separate throttle controls on them... so PP can take care of you...

ps you'd be crazy to try running the slalom course behind the X-80... the tower and the ballast tanks add on too much weight... stay light and crispy w/ the 280
Good Thinkin'
Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
The X-Star and the X-2 have radically different running surfaces. The X-Star purpose built to have the best wake in the industry and it does it through what MasterCraft calls the AP-1 Hull. This hull looks to have a fair amount of V through the hull but at a closer glance you will see that the hull is very flat from about the drivers seat back where as the X-2 doesnt flatten out until a bit behind that.

The X-2 also uses a modified step hull, this is the triangular cutout on the side of the boat. The X-Star uses a different kind of step which basically makes the running surface narrower than other MC's.

Though marketed as the Mini X-Star its more in quality of wake than how the wakes are achieved.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
The X-Star and the X-2 have radically different running surfaces. The X-Star purpose built to have the best wake in the industry and it does it through what MasterCraft calls the AP-1 Hull. This hull looks to have a fair amount of V through the hull but at a closer glance you will see that the hull is very flat from about the drivers seat back where as the X-2 doesnt flatten out until a bit behind that.

The X-2 also uses a modified step hull, this is the triangular cutout on the side of the boat. The X-Star uses a different kind of step which basically makes the running surface narrower than other MC's.

Though marketed as the Mini X-Star its more in quality of wake than how the wakes are achieved.
Good info Thanks!