Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Over the last 15 years, I've spent at least a couple of weeks every year in Haiti. The best roads in that country are worse than those speed bump test roads. Since most of the vehicles used down there are donations from the US, I've seen a wide variety of American trucks and SUV's. Let me just observe that in the hospital and town where I work there (Pignon), they won't even accept a donation of any American-made vehicles anymore. The suspensions of Jeeps, GM's and Fords simply do not hold up. They really prize Toyotas because the engines tend to be more reliable, but they are pretty expensive so we usually end up with Mitsubishi trucks. They are by far more reliable than any US-made vehicle they've ever used down there.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Over the last 15 years, I've spent at least a couple of weeks every year in Haiti. The best roads in that country are worse than those speed bump test roads. Since most of the vehicles used down there are donations from the US, I've seen a wide variety of American trucks and SUV's. Let me just observe that in the hospital and town where I work there (Pignon), they won't even accept a donation of any American-made vehicles anymore. The suspensions of Jeeps, GM's and Fords simply do not hold up. They really prize Toyotas because the engines tend to be more reliable, but they are pretty expensive so we usually end up with Mitsubishi trucks. They are by far more reliable than any US-made vehicle they've ever used down there.
Interesting...I dont really have a pony in the race on this one, but I like a parametric study as much as the next geek. These data say nothing about how the suspensions compare for non-extreme conditions (US roads). This just says that when certain components are pushed in magnitude and/or frequency, the Mitsus and Yotas hold up better.?.? It is conceivable that in a different environment, other components may or may not be running near their design thresholds. Am I reading you?

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak View Post
Interesting...I dont really have a pony in the race on this one, but I like a parametric study as much as the next geek. These data say nothing about how the suspensions compare for non-extreme conditions (US roads). This just says that when certain components are pushed in magnitude and/or frequency, the Mitsus and Yotas hold up better.?.? It is conceivable that in a different environment, other components may or may not be running near their design thresholds. Am I reading you?
I don't have a pony either. I drive a GM, but the central highland region of Haiti is littered with dead GM trucks and frames. Ford is not better, nor is Jeep.

Otherwise, yes. The suspensions of a Mitsubishi/Toyota probably won't last any longer on American roads (during a typical American vehicle lifespan) than a GM/Ford, but I can guarantee you that those vehicles are worlds apart in terms of durability in the third world. I suspect therefore that the concept of durability testing at the Michigan proving grounds is pretty pointless. Especially for the typical American who won't come even close to pushing their vehicle beyond its design specs.

Last edited by bigmac; 12-15-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 40th anniversary prostar 197
Picked Up My New 4x4 Reg Cab Short Box Tundra Last Monday,,,,,,,,,i've Had 8 Trucks In The Last 18 Yrs And This Is The Hottest Truck I've Driven By Far,,,,,,,,the Six Speed Is Impressive And With The Trd Perf Pack I'm At 400 Hp,,,,,,,,20 Mpg,,,,,,they're Building A Great Truck,,,,,,,,,did I Say It Has A 6 Speed,,,,,,can't Way To Hook Up The 88 Prostar
Ps But At 5 Below And 20 Below Wind Chill It'll Be Awhile
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
I am going to buy a year old and with about 10-20k miles... about 1/2 the price of brand new!

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.