Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Maybe MC will design a Pontoon?? With a V-drive??

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTour X9 View Post
I've never been in one personally, but, my dad knew a few guys who had them and they broke down alot, and more importantly didn't ski that well. Even our dealer jokes around about the tristars.

I owned one for just one year. An '88 from '06 -'07. I also had an '89 prostar from '03 -'06. There was nothing more likely to break on the Tristar than on a prostar. And of course it didn't ski like a prostar. But it ski'd a lot better than people give it credit for.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
jsnipes,

I am just saying just because it is a bouat the you or I may not buy does not mean they are loosing their way. If they discontinue the XStar and call this new 300 a wake board boat then they are lost...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
In my opinion, MC is not losing brand identity. I can understand how some of the "loyalist" may have that opinion. Sure the SS/190 was the beginning of MC, and the orgin of MC. Honestly, and this is just my opinion.....If MC stayed "true" to the skier, MC would not be the company it is today. Innovation and out of the box thinking and what appears to be good leadership is keeping the company "alive" today. Diversity is a GOOD thing! The housing boom is over, the refinace to buy a boat days are long gone!

Next...

For those of you that do not know, about 2 years (maybe 3) Cobalt attempted to start a manufacturing facility in Vonore, in the same industrial park as MC and Sea-Ray. That facility is closed and all manufacturing is back in KS. The facility was going to build the the Cobalt Yacht line............interestingly Prostar19 made reference to Cobalt engineer's.

Sea-Ray and Brunswick are HURTING look at stock symbol BC for proof. Sea-Ray in Merrit Island where all the Sea-Ray Yachts are built recently layed off 60 more employees, mostly from engineering and admin......Talent pool looks pretty good for companies in need of expertise and fast pace the learning curve into a new market segment.

I have a Cobalt and it is on par with a MC, no doubt.....In the end its different strokes for different folks. I am not in my 20's anymore.....In my later 30's I value time on the water with my family, for us its cruising and hanging around the beaches on the intracoastal, running over to the Bahama's, shooting through the Keys or running up the St. John's to the Springs. I personally am impressed that MC is looking for my $$ (maybe I have it, maybe I don't...depends on who you ask ) In closing, be glad that MC is looking to grow into the true market segment of boating. For those of you on small lakes, private lakes the world is totally different along the coastal waters......Rare to see a MC on the Intacoastal...that can only mean growth opportunity for MC in this segment.

Back to the Cobalt, click the link for thier "yacht".....It could be me but the design features have some common areas....Would'nt be the first time......XStar and 240SD come to mind.

http://www.cobaltyachts.com/

Mod's if the link needs deleted, I understand.

Last edited by Stritt; 12-10-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Boat: X10
Ok, ok, ok. Let's address a few things -

1) Yes we are developing and will soon be producing a 300

2) These pictures were not supposed to be posted but by the time we discovered it, they were on Wakeworld and a few other sites. In fact, I think they hit those sites first. As we have experienced in the past, people who run those boards don't take down content just because we ask. So that is why you did not hear from us on these being posted here.

As for the argument, "if we didn't want them posted, we would not let people in the factory" - well that is just asinine. We don't have a secret facility to build boats somewhere. You may not know this but all our new boats are now built on the line with the people who will eventually assemble the boat for production. By involving more people earlier, we streamline the learning curve and can produce new product quicker. So this boat is no different - it is being built on the line so people can learn how to make it. Because of that, there is no way for us to avoid people seeing it. All we could do is ask that people not share the information. Most people did that - a few did not.

3) As for "has MC lost their way" comments / questions- I really do enjoy the same old questions because that gives me yet another opportunity to repeat the same old answer.

First let me remind you that our company does business as "MasterCraft Boat Company" - not MasterCraft Ski Boat Company, not MasterCraft Wakeboard Boat Company. It is MasterCraft Boat Company. That means any and all viable, reasonable markets are fair game so if the progressive and innovative management of this company sees fit to go after another segment, we will do that. Our mission statement is simple - "MasterCraft strives to deliver to every consumer the ultimate on-water experience by designing and building the world's highest quality, best performing sports luxury boats in every significant niche." But for those that like numbers here you go - the inboard industry only produces about 11,000 customers per year that buy new boats. With the exception of this year, the stern drive market produces 30,000 new boat sales a year (up to 35 footers). So is it really a mystery what we are doing here?

Second, has anyone noticed that we just released the ProStar 214V. If not, please let me share. We just developed a new ski boat! It is the only V-Drive that is certified to pull sanctioned, world record tournaments. In other words, it joins the ranks of the 197. So how have we lost our way again???

Third, we easily spend more money than any other manufacturer on product design for towboats, events and athletes. If we had lost our way, why would we resurrect the Pro Waterski Tour? Why would do the Pro Wakeboard Tour? Why have the largest roster of athletes??? Let me encourage you to step back and look. You will see we have not lost our way.

Finally, we have not lost our way - not even close. What we have done is raise the value of YOUR MC so please accept our apologies. It is not the BMW 1 class that brings value to BMW. It is the 7 series. It is not the Porsche Boxster that brings value to Porsche but the 911 Turbo that is about $160,000. But I bet you don't hear Porshce Boxster owners complaining about Porsche building a Turbo because they know that brings value and credibility to their car. We are doing the same for you by pursuing this growth model.

4) As mentioned, this boat is being built by the best talent in the industry - one of the advantages to this economy for us, even though we have experienced softened sales, is that we are able to snap up some great talent. We have done that and this boat will be the result of that investment. In fact this is the smallest boat this crew we hired has built.

5) When will it be released to the public? At the Miami Boat Show in February. But before then you will see a lot more about this guy so keep checking back at MasterCraft.com to find out how you can learn more about the MC300.

Hopefully that clears this up - if not, I am sure you will let me know in your very non-sarcastic ways. But you guys know by now, I can dish it and take it.

Jason

Last edited by TMC; 12-10-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, X2, 2004, MCX
Mc300

Nicely put Jason! Amen!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 supra 24ssv soon to be 09 X55
Nice Tmc!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Ok, ok, ok. Let's address a few things -

1) Yes we are developing and will soon be producing a 300

2) These pictures were not supposed to be posted but by the time we discovered it, they were on Wakeworld and a few other sites. In fact, I think they hit those sites first. As we have experienced in the past, people who run those boards don't take down content just because we ask. So that is why you did not hear from us on these being posted here.

As for the argument, "if we didn't want them posted, we would not let people in the factory" - well that is just asinine. We don't have a secret facility to build boats somewhere. You may not know this but all our new boats are now built on the line with the people who will eventually assemble the boat for production. By involving more people earlier, we streamline the learning curve and can produce new product quicker. So this boat is no different - it is being built on the line so people can learn how to make it. Because of that, there is no way for us to avoid people seeing it. All we could do is ask that people not share the information. Most people did that - a few did not.

3) As for "has MC lost their way" comments / questions- I really do enjoy the same old questions because that gives me yet another opportunity to repeat the same old answer.

First let me remind you that our company does business as "MasterCraft Boat Company" - not MasterCraft Ski Boat Company, not MasterCraft Wakeboard Boat Company. It is MasterCraft Boat Company. That means any and all viable, reasonable markets are fair game so if the progressive and innovative management of this company sees fit to go after another segment, we will do that. Our mission statement is simple - "MasterCraft strives to deliver to every consumer the ultimate on-water experience by designing and building the world's highest quality, best performing sports luxury boats in every significant niche." But for those that like numbers here you go - the inboard industry only produces about 11,000 customers per year that buy new boats. With the exception of this year, the stern drive market produces 30,000 new boat sales a year (up to 35 footers). So is it really a mystery what we are doing here?

Second, has anyone noticed that we just released the ProStar 214V. If not, please let me share. We just developed a new ski boat! It is the only V-Drive that is certified to pull sanctioned, world record tournaments. In other words, it joins the ranks of the 197. So how have we lost our way again???

Third, we easily spend more money than any other manufacturer on product design for towboats, events and athletes. If we had lost our way, why would we resurrect the Pro Waterski Tour? Why would do the Pro Wakeboard Tour? Why have the largest roster of athletes??? Let me encourage you to step back and look. You will see we have not lost our way.

Finally, we have not lost our way - not even close. What we have done is raise the value of YOUR MC so please accept our apologies. It is not the BMW 1 class that brings value to BMW. It is the 7 series. It is not the Porsche Boxster that brings value to Porsche but the 911 Turbo that is about $160,000. But I bet you don't hear Porshce Boxster owners complaining about Porsche building a Turbo because they know that brings value and credibility to their car. We are doing the same for you by pursuing this growth model.

4) As mentioned, this boat is being built by the best talent in the industry - one of the advantages to this economy for us, even though we have experienced softened sales, is that we are able to snap up some great talent. We have done that and this boat will be the result of that investment. In fact this is the smallest boat this crew we hired has built.

5) When will it be released to the public? At the Miami Boat Show in February. But before then you will see a lot more about this guy so keep checking back at MasterCraft.com to find out how you can learn more about the MC300.

Hopefully that clears this up - if not, I am sure you will let me know in your very non-sarcastic ways. But you guys know by now, I can dish it and take it.

Jason

Is Waketn gonna be banned? That's my only question!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Is Waketn gonna be banned? That's my only question!

NO !!!

"As for the argument, "if we didn't want them posted, we would not let people in the factory" - well that is just asinine. We don't have a secret facility to build boats somewhere. You may not know this but all our new boats are now built on the line with the people who will eventually assemble the boat for production. By involving more people earlier, we streamline the learning curve and can produce new product quicker. So this boat is no different - it is being built on the line so people can learn how to make it. Because of that, there is no way for us to avoid people seeing it. All we could do is ask that people not share the information. Most people did that - a few did not"

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Always got to be ONE bad apple in the group!