Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Thoughts on new tow vehicle?

Thinking of getting a truck to tow the X-Star around and to use around the cottage for gan cans, lumber, concrete, etc..

Yet still need the class for work to go to meetings and drive clients to lunch etc.

Stumbled across this great deal... or so I think..

New list price was $60k cnd... now about half of that...

2007 Chev Silverado CrewCab LTZ
Has 17500 miles on it... was a GM Canada exec truck..

Options
LTZ package
6.0 V8 with active fuel management
HD Tow package
Leather, heated seats, 12-way power adj
Touch screen nav and rear DVD flip screen (factory installed)
Rear parking sensors
20" wheels
Sunroof
power rear glass

and all the other good stuff...

Thoughts on reliability, fuel economy, missing obvious options?

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
we have 2 gm trucks and one yukon xl in the family. they are tops on reliability and last forever. go for it!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RTP-1
Send a message via AIM to Lennyp04
If you want to match the boat. Go with black since the red metal flake of the 40th is going to be almost impossible to match where the black is not.

But My dad has a suburban and I love it

2007 MasterCraft X-1, RTP-1, Ballast, MC Cruise, swivel board racks, Glacier White and Midnight Black
Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RTP-1
Send a message via AIM to Lennyp04
If you want to match the boat. Go with black since the red metal flake of the 40th is going to be almost impossible to match where the black is not.

But My dad has a suburban and I love it

2007 MasterCraft X-1, RTP-1, Ballast, MC Cruise, swivel board racks, Glacier White and Midnight Black
Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Lenny you're stuttering again

I'm not a chevy fan but I would definetly consider that truck based on looks, nice looking truck
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I had the 6 liter in my last truck. It performed OK but it's lifetime fuel average was 14.1 according to the mileage computer. Active fuel management will likely help, depending on how you drive. It won't do a thing for towing.

IMHO, the 5.3 liter would be a better choice from a mileage standpoint. I have that engine in my current 2008 and it performs VERY well for towing, still gets about 16 mpg around town and 19-20 on the highway. The difference in performance between the 5.3 liter and the 6 liter isn't great enough.

Rear parking sensors -- marginal usefulness. I do like the heated windshield washer fluid (although it's on recall). The traction control appears to work OK, but the next snowstorm will be more informative. The truck is quiet and solid, handles well. No complaints about it at all.

Last edited by bigmac; 11-27-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I bought my first GM a few months back and have had no regrets. My situation was somewhat similar to yours in that I wanted to be able to haul yet have the ability to take clients around, etc.. I looked closely at the Avalanche, as it seemed to offer a slightly better "classy" look than your typical pick-up(just my opinion), but in the end, the overall tow rating and some of the other needs I had did not match the ability of the vehicle. I ended up going larger and simply holding on to an SUV that I was considering selling and I use it for clients.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Awesome info guys!

thanks!

I am no highway hero blasting down the road doing 90mph...

I usually lock in cruise control at 70-75mph going north every weekend...

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashydubber View Post
Awesome info guys!

thanks!

I am no highway hero blasting down the road doing 90mph...

I usually lock in cruise control at 70-75mph going north every weekend...
Yeh. You'll get pretty crappy mileage at that speed in that truck with that engine. Especially if you're towing something. Especially if you're towing an X-Star.

Active Fuel Management - get going 75 mph and you will rarely see it switch to 4 cyl mode. If you're towing something at that speed - you will NEVER see it engage.

You asked, so I'll tell you MY thoughts on a tow vehicle...go buy a used, stripped-down 1/2 ton standard-cab pickup with cloth seats and no carpeting (so-called GM "work-truck). Use that only for towing. Go buy a Honda Civic sedan (or something) for commuting and hauling clients. IMHO, using a crew-cab, 6 liter pickup for a daily driver is a HUGE waste of gasoline. That's going to be MY next move.

Last edited by bigmac; 11-27-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

I bought an 08 Denalli with the 6.0 in September. The first tank of gas it was getting better mileage (21.7 mpg at 67 mph on one 60 mile trip) than my o4 with the 5.3 (about 18.5 mpg for the same type trip). I only have 500 miles on it. Bought it for towing and taking more people on trips. That's all we use it for. We'll have six of us going out of town today so we'll put a few more miles on it. This is my fourth Yukon. I'm sold with the ride and performance. The backup camera adds a whole new dimension to trailering also. Get that if you can.