Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boating Laws

Well us folks here in CA got hit with 2 new boating laws this year.I just happened to read about them by chance.The state does a terrible job with letting the public know about new laws until your on the water.How hard can it be to send something out in our reg. or even on a board at the lakes.Also many of the lakes have different rules hard to keep track of.Anyway here is some new info for us CA boaters.www.dbw.ca.gov I'm sure some lakes are good about this but none I have been to lately.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2017 PS
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
is it the noise monitoring and teak surfing? neither one affects me .
Old 05-10-2005, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

RODLTG2 it does have some effect because were going to have to put a sticker on the stearn and on the dash for the gas warning.I guess if were boarded we can be fined for not displaying the sticker. I'm not sure i'm going to put the sticker on,it's just plain stupid!I guess if your on a private lake no worries.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I can't figure out how the noise law would effect anyone on this board.
The teak surfing law is ridiculous. Of all the places, California needs to thin the herd more than anyone!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2017 PS
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
i think i already have one . i moslty use on private lake , but i do like going out on public water on the weekends to have fun with friends.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

I don't think the noise level should bother anyone on the board.It might slow down the launch ramp,because they are going to test right at the ramp.So they say,We'll see.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Send a message via MSN to flyinryn Send a message via Yahoo to flyinryn
my undstanding of that law was that if you are going to sell your boat or when you buy a new boat the stickers need to be in place. Rod you should be fine, it is just the old school guys that need to worry.

Also like a stupid sticker is going to stop someone from doing something.

Look at all the stickers and lights they put in a car to wear your seat belt and there are people out there that still dont wear them.

Some dumb kid gets killed and a mother with nothing else to do on her hands all of a sudden she has a cause. peolpe need to get a life.

look how many people die in cars, but we dont stop people from driving.

i dont have anger i really dont.
i do feel a little better now.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-10
Some of the laws they have are a bit over the top in CA.

I was out with my brother last year at Folsom. First surprise was the yellow flag that a human over the age of 12(?) had to hold up in the air whenever we had someone in the water. Talk about a source of frustration. Who's got the flag? Where is it? There it is! Hold it up! Higher!

He spent 20 minutes trying to get a spring release to work on a tube for his kids. 20 minutes of swearing, yelling, etc. All for a release on a tube? You kiddin me?

Feel good legislation is one thing, following up to see if it actually helps anything is another. Could they measure it beforehand? Can they measure it now? Any benefits besides a feather in someones cap?

As for teak surfing......Isn't there a long standing law stating that all persons must be in the boat and must be seated while the boat is in motion? Thats the law in Michigan. I can't see hanging on to the swim platform begin dragged 20 - 25 MPH as being legal to begin with. Especially if you're not wearing a life vest!! AirJunky's got it right. Let it thin the herd.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
I actually like the skier down flag.... Prevents more than a few morons from coming too close to your boat when you have a skier in the water. Especially useful in the evening when the sun is in your eyes and it's hard to see a persons head bobbing above the water. At Tahoe my folks have this great flag mount that is on the gunwhale. You lift the flag up and it stays put. When you get going again, you pull a little knob and the flag goes down. Having a person hold the flag is a big pain in the arse.

I understand why they make rules... because there are lots of idiots out there that have no common sense. But you sometimes wonder if the lack of common sense has come from having so many rules... In any event it seems like they always come up with a bunch of dumb rules every year. Too bad most of them don't actually accomplish what they were meant to.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryn

Some dumb kid gets killed and a mother with nothing else to do on her hands all of a sudden she has a cause. peolpe need to get a life.
Flyinryn,
Could you please clarify what you mean by this statement? Are you talking about the teak surfing law?