Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190, 1996 . std 350
Raw water pump vibration

Hello,
My wife and I just bought our first Mastercraft, a 1996 Pro Star 190 with a std 350. I have a few questions that I hope you may be able to help answer. The first one is the Raw water pump vibrates a lot, especially at idle. If you rev the motor up, it smoothes out, Is this right? It also leaks water out the back of the pump, but I think I replace the seal and fix that problem.
2nd question is on the strut. I have a vibration in rev and if you turn the boat to the right under power. I do have freeplay if I move the shaft back and forth, so I think the bushing needs replaced. I don't think the shaft is bent, but how do you check for alignment once I replace the strut bushing (or is it a bearing?)
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3
Hello,
My wife and I just bought our first Mastercraft, a 1996 Pro Star 190 with a std 350. I have a few questions that I hope you may be able to help answer. The first one is the Raw water pump vibrates a lot, especially at idle. If you rev the motor up, it smoothes out, Is this right? It also leaks water out the back of the pump, but I think I replace the seal and fix that problem.
2nd question is on the strut. I have a vibration in rev and if you turn the boat to the right under power. I do have freeplay if I move the shaft back and forth, so I think the bushing needs replaced. I don't think the shaft is bent, but how do you check for alignment once I replace the strut bushing (or is it a bearing?)
not sure this will help, but be sure all bolts are secure. i noticed my belt was vibrating excessively and loose. turned out to be the alternator bolt was loose and hence belt also. sounds like more than this simple fix, however.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
I would get a new impellor for inside of the water pump, it could be dry roted. I'm not sure what the proboem is on you second question, you might have a bent prop. Does it vibrate at higher speeds at all?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Discussing how to do prop shaft allignment might be a bit much for a discussion group. Once it's all pointed out, it's fairly easy. Adjustments are made at the motor mounts. And alignment is measured with a feeler guage at the coupler between the trans & the output shaft.
Thats probably not nearly descriptive enough so maybe someone will have a drawing or something about it.
Sounds like your on the right track though. Vibration can easily be a minor alignment problem or a ding in the prop.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190, 1996 . std 350
Thanks for the advice. I have replaced the impellor, but that didn't help the vibration on the water pump. I think I will take the pump off and make sure it was installed on the harmonic balancer correctly. Should the impellor housing vibrate(shake) when idling ?
As far as the vibration from the prop, I do not get vibration until about 3000 rpm or when the boat is turned hard to the right under power or when in reverse.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Your water leaking out the back is just a bearing that needs to be replaced. Do a search and you'll be able to figure it out I think. If by chance you need a new raw water pump I have one here for the right price.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
It does sound like your strut bushings are worn & need replaced. It's not terribly hard, just a pain in the arse to get the first one out.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Thumbs up

Hey JB3,

My raw water pump also "wobbles" a bit - I've taken it off a couple times only to have it do the same thing - at speed, its OK....

The bearing inside the strut is called a cutlass bearing - its actually just a hard rubber collar with slots allowing water to flow thru with a bronze-brass outer shell - it should fit fairly snuggly around the shaft...there's prolly a written procedure here on the boards somewhere on "how to" - I've done a bunch but on sailboats after removing the shaft so I'll let one of these ski boat guys take the lead...

You'll need to get the alignment procedure clear in your mind - you actually align the motor to the shaft, not vise-versa...in fact, it may be wise to have someone do it while you watch, then you'll be able to from there on out...

Oh, congrats on the new boat

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 1989 w/ Chevy Big Block 454
Send a message via AIM to Ski-A-Rees
The best thing I ever bought for my boat was a brand new water pump. Then you have an extra one for parts or you can fix it as a back up.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
My distinct memory of my housing vibrating so much was a precursor to a bearing failure.

I remember this since it was vibrating much more than usual, and was something that I had not seen before. Before I knew it, bearing pcs in the bilge. The outboard bearing gave out.

There was always some small vibration in the housing at idle. But nothing like just before the bearing came apart.

The fact that the seal was leaking may or may not have something to do with it. I believe the bearings are stainless and sealed, so a small amount of water infiltration should not cause failure.