Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 1989 w/ Chevy Big Block 454
Send a message via AIM to Ski-A-Rees
Bad Weekend!

Took her out friday night and she ran like a pro. Barefoot circles and everything. Saturday morning I put her in and she wouldn't crank to save my life. I tried dumping gas in the carborator and everything. I got mad and decided to take it back out. Well now that the boat is half way off the trailer, I attach the winch and it breaks. Things just keep getting worse by the minute. So I hate doing this but I found a telephone pole and backed the teak platform into it to push the boat on the trailer. ( Well I've done this a million times because this boat breaks down alot! ) Well I was by my self and I didn't have anyone to help me line it up straight in the middle on the platform and I broke the first board on the platform. My temper at this time is about to blow. I take it straight to the mech. because our ski team has a show sunday. Within ten minutes he found one wire in the electric ignitition that was loose. Reconnects the wire and it cranks like a car. Take it sunday morning to test drive it before the show just to make sure everything is ok. It cranked fine and drove it for about half an hour. Three hours later, it's five minutes before the show starts and it won't crank. The fuel pump is completely dead. I did get it cranked with a little cup of gas but I just couldn't imagine how much stuff when wrong this weekend. Now that I get the story out of the way, Has anyone ever replaced their old sloted teak platform with a solid teak platform. Not only would I like it because it's stronger, but I have a 454 and I though it might make a little less noise at an idle.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Dude, sorry to hear about your weekend being so bad!

Did you get to put on the ski show?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 1989 w/ Chevy Big Block 454
Send a message via AIM to Ski-A-Rees
The show went on without a glitch. Nothing fell except for ballet, and (barefoot, DuH). The rest of the day I just let it run because it was a pain to crank after it cooled down.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Well, the show must go on and it did, so you got a week to get her straightened out
Old 05-09-2005, 08:55 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-A-Rees
Took her out friday night and she ran like a pro. Barefoot circles and everything. Saturday morning I put her in and she wouldn't crank to save my life. I tried dumping gas in the carborator and everything. I got mad and decided to take it back out. Well now that the boat is half way off the trailer, I attach the winch and it breaks. Things just keep getting worse by the minute. So I hate doing this but I found a telephone pole and backed the teak platform into it to push the boat on the trailer. ( Well I've done this a million times because this boat breaks down alot! ) Well I was by my self and I didn't have anyone to help me line it up straight in the middle on the platform and I broke the first board on the platform. My temper at this time is about to blow. I take it straight to the mech. because our ski team has a show sunday. Within ten minutes he found one wire in the electric ignitition that was loose. Reconnects the wire and it cranks like a car. Take it sunday morning to test drive it before the show just to make sure everything is ok. It cranked fine and drove it for about half an hour. Three hours later, it's five minutes before the show starts and it won't crank. The fuel pump is completely dead. I did get it cranked with a little cup of gas but I just couldn't imagine how much stuff when wrong this weekend. Now that I get the story out of the way, Has anyone ever replaced their old sloted teak platform with a solid teak platform. Not only would I like it because it's stronger, but I have a 454 and I though it might make a little less noise at an idle.
wow-i thought replacing a garbage disposal and not getting on the water was bad!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
When you find out how to quiet the 454, lemme know...mine's just well, loud ALL the time.

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
There was a post of someone building a new teak platform, with no slots. I cant remember if it was on the new sight, or old. There have also been a couple on wakeworld.com

You might check ebay, and/or check with a dealer. I am sure a newer boat platform would work. My neighbor has a X-9 and his is about the same size as my 205

I too have been wanting to quiet my exhaust.I have a muffler it is about 24" in length. Skidim has a new exhast silencer, I have thoughts of adding it to the muffler I have. Also have thought about getting the longer one they have that is about 40"

It is a gamble at over $100.00 each.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Thats one of those things you want to test out and decide if you like before buying, or atleast have the option of returning it for the purchase price.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Muffler!!?+***, I ain't got no muffler(s) (at least I don't think so)...I think mine's straight pipe (actually very gently curved rubber tube) all the way back...I've seen mufflers on other boats (not necessarily MC)...but I'm relatively new to this ski boat market.

Would these fool with the back pressure/performance? Anyone else have muffler(s)?

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesgardner
Muffler!!?+***, I ain't got no muffler(s) (at least I don't think so)...I think mine's straight pipe (actually very gently curved rubber tube) all the way back...I've seen mufflers on other boats (not necessarily MC)...but I'm relatively new to this ski boat market.

Would these fool with the back pressure/performance? Anyone else have muffler(s)?

Wes
I wish they made one for wives.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :