Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD View Post
Shep, where are the pics? I'll be doing a large tenderloin this weekend for our family Christmas party. Love my Egg!
Sorry, no pics. The pork loin roast turned out great too. I was afraid it would be a little dry since it was such a lean cut of meat. The meat turned out surprisingly moist, tender, and smoky. I even overcooked it slightly -- recipe said to pull it off at 145 deg, but I didn't get to it until it reached 155. It only took about 2 1/2 hours to cook at 225-250 deg. I used apple chunks instead of mesquite - not sure if it matters really.

I've been eating sliced pork BBQ sandwiches for lunch every day this week .

Next up: The wife wants to do a rib roast for Christmas. Not sure yet, but I'll probably cook it on the Egg.

Brian, are you doing a pork tenderloin or beef? Let us know how it turned out, and how you cooked it.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket Mac. I do need to replace mine, so I'll try that one.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Sorry, no pics. The pork loin roast turned out great too. I was afraid it would be a little dry since it was such a lean cut of meat. The meat turned out surprisingly moist, tender, and smoky. I even overcooked it slightly -- recipe said to pull it off at 145 deg, but I didn't get to it until it reached 155. It only took about 2 1/2 hours to cook at 225-250 deg. I used apple chunks instead of mesquite - not sure if it matters really.

I've been eating sliced pork BBQ sandwiches for lunch every day this week .

Next up: The wife wants to do a rib roast for Christmas. Not sure yet, but I'll probably cook it on the Egg.

Brian, are you doing a pork tenderloin or beef? Let us know how it turned out, and how you cooked it.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket Mac. I do need to replace mine, so I'll try that one.
FWIW, I've cooked a lot of beef tenderloin on the BGE. I always use a rub of some kind, wrap in plastic 24 hours. Let it get to room temperature for two hours or so before cooking. I cook at 300-325 degrees over soaked Applewood or Jack Daniels wood chips with temp probes in both the main part of the tenderloin and the narrow part and take it off at 130-135 degrees. I let it rest under foil for about 20 minutes. Temp will keep going about an additional 5 degrees. IMHO, tenderloin is most tender and flavorful at medium rare rather than medium.

I cook a lot of pork tenderloin too. Similar drill. Meat thermometers are key to roasts of any kind IMHO. I use a dual probe iGrill. It sends the temp data to my iPad or iPhone. Very convenient. I just picked up a new version iGrill. Now I can have two probes in the meat and one for grill temp.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Question... do the new BGE still come with the gasket that needs to be replaced with the Rutland gasket?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
I don't know about the new BGEs but you don't need to replace the original gasket with a Rutland. I put a Rutland on after my original gasket wore out, but after a few years the Rutland came loose. Not blaming the gasket, it was an adhesion problem, though I'm pretty sure I cleaned the surfaces good before I glued it down. I replaced the Rutland a few months ago with the Nomx gasket Bigmac recommended (see post #890). It was real easy to put on -- self stick -- and it appears to be holding up good.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I don't know about the new BGEs but you don't need to replace the original gasket with a Rutland. I put a Rutland on after my original gasket wore out, but after a few years the Rutland came loose. Not blaming the gasket, it was an adhesion problem, though I'm pretty sure I cleaned the surfaces good before I glued it down. I replaced the Rutland a few months ago with the Nomx gasket Bigmac recommended (see post #890). It was real easy to put on -- self stick -- and it appears to be holding up good.
Thanks Jim!!