Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I've have two BGEs, a large and a small. We have had the large for about 6 years and it lives outside. Half of its life was in Florida and the rest in Maryland. Aside from the gasket, I've never replaced a single piece.

Last edited by BriEOD; 06-18-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-15, 2009, MCX
Thanks I have been reading about the Rutland gasket conversion. I have also been reading that some people on the BGE forum run gasketless... i am not so sure i would want to do this.

Yeah the cart is more utility over looks.. i guess i would rather let the food do the talking, but the scorch marks from the house fire sure make it interesting haha
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
I put a new Rutland gasket on last week following the directions on the NakedWhiz web site. Fairly easy job...

We have family visiting this week and I smoked a brisket on the egg yesterday. Excellent! After chucking my half bag of Green Egg lump, I used the Royal Oak lump from WalMart. Worked great and only costs half as much.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Does anyone have or know someone that gets a good price on these grills?
Seems like Canadian dealer prices are set by BGE, as pricing is the same everywhere you look.

They also void the lifetime warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer. Lifetime warranty is also void if you buy in the US and bring it to Canada.

Although, I heard (unconfirmed) that Costco in Edmonton had them a while back...
Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I have seen lightly used large BGE's with accessories for around $500 on CL.

If I was in the market, I would strongly consider this option. Almost 1/2 price for something that doesn't wear and will last (just about) forever.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFX-15 View Post
I have also been reading that some people on the BGE forum run gasketless... i am not so sure i would want to do this.
The problem with not having a gasket is holding low temperatures for long periods of time. For instance, it would be very difficult to maintain a static temperature for an overnight Boston Butt cooking session. If you are never going to cook at less than 300 degrees, it would probably be fairly transparent not having a gasket(s).
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
MC Platinum

Our neighborhood Fall Festival is today. We do two whole hogs in a cinderblock pit, and I do the beef in the Egg. I looked back through this thread and saw that I documented this annual event in 2009 during my first shot at this chore. In an effort to update my notes, I'm capturing my efforts today in this thread again.

This is a 30lb top round that we got straight from the butcher. I rubbed it in olive oil and McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning. I prepped the Egg for an indirect cook and inserted a drip pan that I filled with beer. I inserted a handful of hickory chips. I'm cooking at 325 degrees and shooting for an internal temperature of 130 degrees. I think this will take about 4 hours.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
okra

New favorite grilled vegetable. A little olive oil salt and pepper and cook until they have a good char. I've converted okra haters with this. Give it shot
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
I went old school last night for the Rangers games! Grilled burgers, brats, chicken, and hot dogs! So easy and so good! Game sucked big ones!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
my favorite rub.... I use it for a lot of different things too

Quote:
Details

"One Taste Will Hook You!" Head Country Championship Seasoning is used by some of the greatest cooks on the circuit. A staple for brisket, pork butt and ribs, Head Country is a sweet/hot rub with smoke flavors. If you are looking for a BBQ rub that already has a little smoke added, this is the rub for you. This BBQ rub comes Big Poppa approved. They don’t call it a “championship” seasoning for nothing. Try it on your brisket tonight! As always, Big Poppa Smokers has the lowest prices on Head Country Championship Seasoning — guaranteed! Head Country's secret blend of herbs and spices has captured state, regional, national, and world bar-b-q grand championship crowns all across North America. This versatile seasoning and BBQ Rub is the perfect compliment for beef, poultry, pork, or fish. Use as a dry marinade, or sprinkle liberally on meats before cooking. Also excellent in vegetable dishes and casseroles! Ingredients: Salt, Dehydrated Vegetables (Garlic, Onion, Red Bell Pepper), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Paprika, Spices, Natural Smoke Flavor, No more than 2% Silicon Dioxide to prevent caking. No Glutens.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine