Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-15, 2009, MCX
Duration

How long have you guys owned your eggs? I am thinking of taking the plunge and I am wondering how long they last or how long you have used them. Obviously its a price issue but if can expect to use it for 10 years or something then its not such a hurdle to jump.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Bought mine at the end of 09...you will never go back!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Had the first one for 3 or 4 years now, 2nd one is only a year old.

My friend has one that is at least 15 years old. His neighbors bought it, gave it to his dad, who gave it to him, he took it to Wyoming to college, brought it back to GA, now it is in DC.

There are only a few wear parts and they are replaceable. I drive by the "World Headquarters" every day- they have whatever you need.

Tex is right- BGE is where it's at!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-15, 2009, MCX
that's what I was looking to hear... 15 years haha. I really prefer to buy it once and just maintain it (Mastercraft) than have to replace it over and over...

Thanks for the replies Tex and Cruisin GA!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
humidity

Just curious. I was in the market for a big green egg and was worried about the metal (not stainless) and hot humid Florida. For that reason I went with the "Grill Dome" and its stainless hardware. Had it for 4 years and love it. Never going back to any other kind of grill. Sear at 850....slow cook @ 215......amazing. my question is does that none stainless hardware pose problems? The reason I ask is the BGE has way more accessories....
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Pretty hot and humid in GA- No problems on my buddies 15 yr old egg.

My dad's egg sits out in the weather almost all the time, he rarely uses the cover and you can't tell any detrimental effects...

I just prefer BGE because they are the original, there is lots of support/parts availability and you know you are getting a quality product from a company that will be around in 5, 10 years.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Our house is on a salt water bay, so our Egg is exposed to salt air daily. I only bought it a few months ago and no corrosion is apparent yet, but I won't be surprised if I start seeing some corrosion within the next year or so. I'm not too worried about it, though. I'm sure I can replace the parts as required and I'm also sure it will be at least a few years before I even need to worry about it. I'll let you know if I'm wrong on that one...

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
bought my BGE Lrg about a month ago... LOVE it... i've already done some really good ribs... pizza... whole chicken... chicken breasts... steaks... pork fillets... burgers... connecuh sausage... etc etc

i'm in the middle of finishing my table now... i don't think you can have one and be a bad cook on it

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFX-15 View Post
How long have you guys owned your eggs? I am thinking of taking the plunge and I am wondering how long they last or how long you have used them. Obviously its a price issue but if can expect to use it for 10 years or something then its not such a hurdle to jump.

Thanks!
I've had my egg for about 2 years and my brother has had his for about 4. Never had any problems with any corrosion or issues like that. I think that the egg will last as long as it is maintained. That being said there are certain parts that receive a good bit of wear and tear. The three primary parts being the seal which can be replaced for less than 10 dollars, the cast iron plate at the bottom of the pit that the coals sit on will need to be replaced about every 4 years or so based upon our experience, and the daisy wheel temp controller on top will rust over time. The rate at which you replace the seal will depend a lot on how often you have your egg at a temp above 500 degrees for a lengthy period of time. The longer the egg cooking at super hot temps, the faster the seals will wear. I have replaced my seal once in 2 years. My egg sits out in the weather all of the time. I made a cover for it and use it sometimes. Again, no real problems yet. Best grill ever seen. Sold my gas grill 3 weeks after buying this one and never look back for any type of cooking.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I have had mine for close to ten years. My firebox is cracked in several places and they are replacing it for free. Local dealer had everythiung on record. Just had to stopin and ask.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.