Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
are you using a plate setter or doing it direct?

make sure you keep the meat in the fridge until it's ready to go on the egg and keep the temp as low as you can for the first hour or two

I read on the internet that cold meat absorbs the smoke better, gotta be true it was on the net.....
Indirect sir!!!!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Indirect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Gonna do a small brisket for the 1st time on the egg tomorrow...any suggestions?
Do it indirect. Also, while others might disagree, put the meat out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before you do the low and slow.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 AM
MC Addict

So I'm heating up the BGE for steaks the other night. I let it get real hot and when I try to open it for the 1st time to throw steaks on it won't open. The gasket had melted with the lid closed. I got it open and threw the steaks on. My gasket is now toast but I'm not loosing any heat and it actually gets hotter now! Gotta love it! The guy at the shop had told me that some people actually use their's without a gasket. I will keep cooking until something changes!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
I have had my Grill Dome freeze before but never melt...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
So I'm heating up the BGE for steaks the other night. I let it get real hot and when I try to open it for the 1st time to throw steaks on it won't open. The gasket had melted with the lid closed. I got it open and threw the steaks on. My gasket is now toast but I'm not loosing any heat and it actually gets hotter now! Gotta love it! The guy at the shop had told me that some people actually use their's without a gasket. I will keep cooking until something changes!
As a seven year egger' and one who always starts the steaks at 700 degrees plus, here are a couple of thoughts. I usuall heat my egg to very high temp and then sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Take steak off to rest and get dome tempt down to 300. Finish steaks for 3-4 minutes. You need to watch the temp as it reaches 500. Carefully slightly open or burp the lid. This will protect your gasket.

You will soon replace the gasket if you do any low and slow cooks or low tempts for fish and seafood.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsn View Post
As a seven year egger' and one who always starts the steaks at 700 degrees plus, here are a couple of thoughts. I usuall heat my egg to very high temp and then sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Take steak off to rest and get dome tempt down to 300. Finish steaks for 3-4 minutes. You need to watch the temp as it reaches 500. Carefully slightly open or burp the lid. This will protect your gasket.

You will soon replace the gasket if you do any low and slow cooks or low tempts for fish and seafood.

Good luck
I always burp it...it melted with the dome closed!

Last edited by tex; 09-27-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Gasket is shot on my BGE. I can't get the temp low enough for a long slow cook. Close, but not quite low enough.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Gasket is shot on my BGE. I can't get the temp low enough for a long slow cook. Close, but not quite low enough.

Give it a month I bet you will have no issue with it being too warm.............
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
The BGE gaskets should be replaced with an aftermarket job. I've put a Rutland on my Large and Small. Read the following for some info:

An explanation: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasket/gasket.htm

Try this: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Just checking out Grills and have heard a Lot of good things about these grills , since you are using Hardwood charcoal , is it fairly quick to get a fire going and are these as good as they say they are, better than gas grills ? What size grills does everyone perfer ?