Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-17-2006, 12:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I built mine, but kind of winged it based loosely on the plans on nakedwhiz.com. The usefulness of those plans was significantlly impaired by the lack of any kind of dimensions IMHO and the fact that I didn't have the Egg here when I built it (I ordered from a dealer 90 miles south of here for $579 - it took a week, but was more than $100 cheaper than the local dealer).
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I'm going to hook her up tonight.

So, will you finish out there at Barksdale?

No the job at Greenville is active duty, I'll finish out there and then stay as a civilian either with DCMA or L3
Old 06-17-2006, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I built mine, but kind of winged it based loosely on the plans on nakedwhiz.com. The usefulness of those plans was significantlly impaired by the lack of any kind of dimensions IMHO and the fact that I didn't have the Egg here when I built it (I ordered from a dealer 90 miles south of here for $579 - it took a week, but was more than $100 cheaper than the local dealer).

I guess they don't have territory restrictions like someone.....
Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Not to threadjack but I did pull the trigger on a Big Green Egg. I debated gas vs charcoal, but the ease of gas just didn't outweigh charcoal flavor for us. As it turns out, the Egg is a great compromise. The thing is easy to start with just one paraffin block and is ready to cook in 10 minutes - no chimneys, no electric starters necessary. The ash is neglible, so cleanup is just not big deal. It grills and bakes (pizzas are big around here, and one of my biggest scores has been meatloaf with some vidalia onions chopped in and a handful of mesquite chips on the coals). One of the best aspects is that there are no hot spots - every place on the grill cooks the same. I built the cart out of cedar - the pneumatic tires give it all-terrain capability .

We've been dedicated charcoal grillers since I was a kid - Omaha steaks way before there WAS an Omaha Steaks.... I felt like going with gas would have been turning my back on my heritage. This type of grill has been an eye-opener for me, and a real advancement in the art IMHO.

It looks like your bands are not installed correctly. The handle should be over to the right about 3 or 4 inches (directly in line with the bottom opening)

the lower band has a pin that mates up with an indentation on the bottom portion of the egg. Be sure that these are lined up or eventually the bottom band will slip and cause the lid to fall.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Not to threadjack but I did pull the trigger on a Big Green Egg. I debated gas vs charcoal, but the ease of gas just didn't outweigh charcoal flavor for us. As it turns out, the Egg is a great compromise. The thing is easy to start with just one paraffin block and is ready to cook in 10 minutes - no chimneys, no electric starters necessary. The ash is neglible, so cleanup is just not big deal. It grills and bakes (pizzas are big around here, and one of my biggest scores has been meatloaf with some vidalia onions chopped in and a handful of mesquite chips on the coals). One of the best aspects is that there are no hot spots - every place on the grill cooks the same. I built the cart out of cedar - the pneumatic tires give it all-terrain capability .

We've been dedicated charcoal grillers since I was a kid - Omaha steaks way before there WAS an Omaha Steaks.... I felt like going with gas would have been turning my back on my heritage. This type of grill has been an eye-opener for me, and a real advancement in the art IMHO.

Is that lunch?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Is that lunch?

not unless he's making Souvflaki.....

don't forget the tzatziki!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted
No the job at Greenville is active duty, I'll finish out there and then stay as a civilian either with DCMA or L3
That sounds good Tim. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it.

Hey man tell me about making pizza. Do you make your own dough or what?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted
It looks like your bands are not installed correctly. The handle should be over to the right about 3 or 4 inches (directly in line with the bottom opening)

the lower band has a pin that mates up with an indentation on the bottom portion of the egg. Be sure that these are lined up or eventually the bottom band will slip and cause the lid to fall.
I knew that a true Egger would spot that .

I assembled it, but I did that offset on purpose to give better access to the bottom damper. I saw the indent in the bottom half of the egg, but there were no pins on the band to match it that I saw (and I did look). These bands and the lift mechanism are the spring-loaded version rather than the older lift/lock style. I'll have to go recheck that assembly again, though.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Man you guys are killing me with this thread about all the good eats off your Egg.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 06-17-2006, 12:35 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I knew that a true Egger would spot that .

I assembled it, but I did that offset on purpose to give better access to the bottom damper. I saw the indent in the bottom half of the egg, but there were no pins on the band to match it that I saw (and I did look). These bands and the lift mechanism are the spring-loaded version rather than the older lift/lock style. I'll have to go recheck that assembly again, though.

I have the old style bands that need to be unlocked before lowering the lid (old school) the new bands are pretty sweet.

Just watch that the bottom bands don't slip!