Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Well I'm on my second bag of lump charcoal. I had Carla pick up the plate setter and the turkey stand this week.
I went out and bought a 20 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and empty the charcoal bags into it (waterproof, and it will hold exactly two bags) and a galvanized horse feed scoop for getting the charcoal into the egg.

Little family reunion this weekend - my sister brought an 8 lb tenderloin from Kansas City. Cooked indirect with the plate setter, temp at 400 degrees with a wirless thermometer probe in the thickest part. I pulled the meat off when the temp hit 137. Ten minutes' rest brought the internal temp up to 144 - perfect. While the meat was "resting", I grilled up some onion/cherry tomatos/red peppers, all tossed in olive oil with basil and garlic and I threw in some pepperoni slices - brushed with some garlic/lemon butter every now and then - grilled in one of those pans with a bunch of holes in it.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I went out and bought a 20 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can and empty the charcoal bags into it (waterproof, and it will hold exactly two bags) and a galvanized horse feed scoop for getting the charcoal into the egg.

Little family reunion this weekend - my sister brought an 8 lb tenderloin from Kansas City. Cooked indirect with the plate setter, temp at 400 degrees with a wirless thermometer probe in the thickest part. I pulled the meat off when the temp hit 137. Ten minutes' rest brought the internal temp up to 144 - perfect. While the meat was "resting", I grilled up some onion/cherry tomatos/red peppers, all tossed in olive oil with basil and garlic and I threw in some pepperoni slices - brushed with some garlic/lemon butter every now and then - grilled in one of those pans with a bunch of holes in it.

sounds good!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Dog just bought one! Too bad I can't use it till I GET BACK FROM sTURGIS!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo137
Question for you guys regarding steaks. It's tough to find USDA Prime unless I go to the Chicago meat markets. Anyone ever order steaks from a place that offers prime and if so, were they good? I'm not crazy about frozen but might give it a try. Sorry bout the jack but I see that a few of you mentioned steaks.

try lobels of ny they cut your meat after you order it.Ship it unfrozen next day air on ice packs. Their meat is fantastic but very pricey. Try the hanger steak good price and a fantastic cut of meat.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:45 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Fellow Egg Owners,

I am doing a turkey tomorrow for a work function. It is a warm up for Thanksgiving. I have yet to do one yet. I have the vertical turkey roaster and the plate setter for indirect heat. I plan on smoking. I have some hickory chunks. My pals at the Outdoor Kitchen Store suggested I use 4 chunks. Apparently, you can oversmoke a turkey.

So, has anyone done one? Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 PM
MC Platinum

http://www.kickassbbq.com/

Good recipes.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Fellow Egg Owners,

I am doing a turkey tomorrow for a work function. It is a warm up for Thanksgiving. I have yet to do one yet. I have the vertical turkey roaster and the plate setter for indirect heat. I plan on smoking. I have some hickory chunks. My pals at the Outdoor Kitchen Store suggested I use 4 chunks. Apparently, you can oversmoke a turkey.

Damn, now that I got one, my wife tells me she doesn't like meat thats been smoked! What a bummer!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I

Last edited by Hoosier Bob; 11-17-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog
Damn, now that I got one, my wife tells me she doesn't like meat thats been smoked! What a bummer!
Have you done a pizza yet? Or filets? Boston Butts are good as well!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Fellow Egg Owners,

Brian,

I would go buy a 5 gallon bucket from a donut shop or McDonalds (Frosting or Pickles) and clean it really good.

You're going to brine the Turkey.

You'll need some Kosher Salt, Two Gallons of Apple Cider (not juice) what ever other kinds of spices or herbs you want

- boil some water and disolve 1 1/2 cups of Kosher Salt
-- add this to about one gallon of cold water, you can add ice to
cool the water off

- once the water is cooled off (room temp at least) add the two
gallons of apple cider to the gallon of saltwater (it also helps if you
have the cider cold from the fridge)

- add your spices, to the mixture, we also slice up a couple of granny
smith apples for the soup

- wash your turkey and remove all the bags (don't forget the neck)

- once the turkey has been washed carefully set it in the bucket and
let it fill with the soup, once it's filled then move it around to ensure
the spices get mixed up with the bird in the bucket

- put the lid on the bucket and move some of the beer out of your
garage fridge and put the turkey in the fridge for at least 12 hours

- after the turkey has set over night take it out and rinse off the
outside and inside very well.

Your Turkey is ready to cook

I've tried the vertical metal setter, the ceramic vertical setter that actually holds liquid to help "steam" the bird from the inside and used the V-rack

I've had the best results with the V-Rack sitting over a drip pan that was resting on the plate setter.

Take your grill off, put the plate setter on the fire ring upside down then put the grill on the legs of the plate setter, V-rack on the grill

Be careful that you don't get too big of a turkey or you'll need to adjust the depth of your dome thermometer so it' doesn't poke the turkey.

As far as wood, for Turkey any kind of fruit wood will be best. Cherry or Apple would be prefered, I don't know how close the Orange orchard are to you but if you can get Orange wood, I'd substitute the apple slices for orange slices and use orange wood.

As far as over smoking, keep in mind that the meat will only absorb the smoke up to a certain temp. Once the meat gets to around 100 degrees it's not going in any further than it has. The outside of the meat will continue to absorb it and that's where the bitterness comes from.

You can just rinse a turkey and cook it and it will be better than any oven cooked turkey you've ever eaten.

Brine it and people will be talking about you all year long, asking if you're doing the turkey next year.

Trust the force Luke....

Last edited by Farmer Ted; 11-16-2006 at 07:32 PM.