Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
All pictures have the plate setter upside down with the legs pointing up and the grill on the legs. This will give you the best indirect cooking method similar to roasting. You can also smoke stuff with this set up.

V-rack upside down for ribs or whatever else you can get on there

V-rack right side up for Turkey's/large chickens/prime rib/pork tenderloins

Things for cooking chickes (never been used)

Last edited by Farmer Ted; 06-19-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
MC Maniac

Purchased in Jan 1998, It's been to Las Vegas, England, Germany, Minnesota, Iowa, and Louisiana.

The felt seal has been replaced twice (needs it now) and I've gone through two fire boxes (they tend to crack, but will be replaced free of charge by BGE)

Big chicken setter, been used a couple of times. Too small for a Turkey

All the goods, the only thing I didn't include was the small grid on the left, we bought it to do shrimp but went out and got a 18" wire basket (Weber) for shrimp

Last edited by Farmer Ted; 06-19-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Wow! Tim you have all the toys. Do I need a drip pan? Do you ever do roasts, etc? Also, how do you light your charcoal: electric starter or the fire starter sticks?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Wow! Tim you have all the toys. Do I need a drip pan? Do you ever do roasts, etc? Also, how do you light your charcoal: electric starter or the fire starter sticks?

Thanks Dude!

I like to eat!

The cheapest way to light the fire is get one of those fake logs and just knock a small peice of it off and use it to get the fire started.

Place the small peice under some lump and arrange lump over the flame so it will burn.

Some guys us a MAPP torch but I don't have one so I don't use one.

I've had flames shooting out of the top 3 feet and the thermometer rolled past 750 all the way back around to 400 (good way to crack your firebox) to cook some 2" filets.

If you do crack your firebox, you'll hear it pop if you happen to be outside. No big deal, still works as advertised but it will need to be replaced eventually.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:38 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Tim/Mac,

Apparently I need some accessories to go with the grill. What do you guys recommend. Obviously I need the plate setter. Do I need a drip pan, etc. What do you guys think.

Thanks,
B
I just get those aluminum foil disposable pans at the grocery store..

Key accessories IMHO - plate setter, Grill Gripper, digital meat thermometer, V-rack, vertical roaster, a vegetable cooker, and a pizza stone. The ash tool is useful - I use it to stir the old charcoal before lighting to get the ash out of the firebox. If you get too much, it tends to plug the little holes and impairs draw making temp control harder than it needs to be. I do try to be cautious about getting too much charcoal in there (about 1 inch over the side holes of the firebox).

I light with one or two of those paraffin blocks that Weber sells. They light easily even in the wind.

Last edited by bigmac; 06-20-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
MC Maniac

Bri,

If you want to use a drip pan, go to the BX and get one of those $3 square cake pans that are about 2" deep.

They work well
Old 06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
MC Platinum

Thanks guys.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Wife's out of town - I cooked a frozen pizza on the BGE just for the experimental heck of it. It actually turned out very well.

I started with a Tombstone pepperoni, added some onions, peppers, cheese (romano) and a lot more pepperoni. I heated the grill up to 450 F. with the plate-setter legs down, grill on top of that followed by a Pampered Chef pizza stone. I preheated the pizza stone for about 10 minutes with the grill at 450, threw some corn meal on the stone (keeps it from sticking, I'm told) then put the pizza on. The crust came out perfect, the toppings were nicely browned, and it had a nice, subtle brick-oven taste.

I'm not normally a Tombstone fan - it was an impulse purchase when I got gas at the convenience store. Just wanted to make that clear...

edit: I'm told that one has to be careful about what pizza stone to buy. Reportedly, the Pampered Chef stones crack in the BGE almost universally. Mine didn't this time, but I did order the BGE 14" pizza stone for the future.

Last edited by bigmac; 06-24-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:12 AM
MC Platinum

Thanks for the tip Mac on the stone.

I did some bacon wrapped filets last night and they were awesome! They were resteraunt quality. That BGE is awesome!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Brian

I tried your grilling technique, got the grill up to 550 degrees and then dropped 2 Omaha Steaks (Sirloins) on there and grilled both sides about 1 1/2 minutes. The steaks looked great from the outside but the flavor was not so hot (no flavor) Meat temp when eaten was 155 degrees. What did I do wrong??

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)