Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I'm overdosing on red meat these days...I have a buddy that's moving here from upstate New York. He had a couple of head of cattle that they raised on their hobby farm, and before he left they butchered and aged them. He arrived here the other day with two chest freezers full of meat. He and his family are staying here waiting for their house to be done - my days now revolve around thawing, marinating and cooking. What a blast!...but I think I've gained 5 lbs.

Tonight was fajitas. Marinated and grilled up the delmonicos we thawed but couldn't eat yesterday - sliced thin. Double-handful of mesquite chips soaked in Jack Daniels on the coals. Vidalia onions sliced, red/green and a few jalapeno peppers and cherry tomatoes, sauteed in butter/lime juice/southwestern seasoning with a touch of brown sugar in an aluminum pan on the Egg. Tortillas moistened and tossed on the grill for a minute or so + cheese/rice/guacamole, sour cream and salsa...oh..and a few Coronas....

Carumba!

Try some Mesquite lump, it pops and crackles when you get it going (500+) especially when you open the lid

chips won't do much good when grilling, they'll just burn and make your fire hotter get chunks as they won't burn as quickly as chips
Old 06-19-2006, 08:31 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
That sounds awesome!

I torched my first attempt at pizza. I think my problem was putting my pizza stone to close to the heat. I intially put it right on the metal grilling rack and baked the pizza at 500 degrees for 7 minutes and it burnt the bottom. After my wife gave me a hard time I regrouped. I placed a brick between the grilling rack and pizza stone and cooked the pizza for about 5.5 minutes. It was really good.

get a plate setter or three fire bricks (be sure you get fire bricks, regular ones will explode or crack if exposed to direct heat like that)

the plate setter is awesome, you place it with the legs pointing down for pizza

legs pointing up with the grill on it for indirect cooking (ribs, brisket, chicken)
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
I've been reading all this....Farmer Ted, you amaze me with your recipes!!! My husband can't even open a package of cheese.
Y'all have got me wanting one of these egg deals. So what do I do with my old grill? It's also about 110 degrees outside right now. I don't want to go out there. Any chance of using this indoors???
Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted
get a plate setter or three fire bricks (be sure you get fire bricks, regular ones will explode or crack if exposed to direct heat like that)

the plate setter is awesome, you place it with the legs pointing down for pizza

legs pointing up with the grill on it for indirect cooking (ribs, brisket, chicken)
The plate setter is a very important accessory to have (awesome for indirect cooking with legs pointing up, and a great place to put the drip pan). Even with the plate setter, it's still smart to cook pizza on a pizza stone laid on the plate setter to prevent burning the crust, I'm told. I haven't cooked a pizza yet, but the plate setter goes on with the legs down, and no grill, lay the pizza stone on top of the plate setter.

I've also come to rely on the grill-grabbing tool a lot (grill gripper).
Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebroad
I've been reading all this....Farmer Ted, you amaze me with your recipes!!! My husband can't even open a package of cheese.
Y'all have got me wanting one of these egg deals. So what do I do with my old grill? It's also about 110 degrees outside right now. I don't want to go out there. Any chance of using this indoors???
Can't use it indoors, but the outside of the egg doesn't get nearly as hot as a metal grill.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Thanks for the tips. I'll get one.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
MC Platinum

Tim/Mac,

Apparently I need some accessories to go with the grill. What do you guys recommend. Obviously I need the plate setter. Do I need a drip pan, etc. What do you guys think.

Thanks,
B
Old 06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Tim/Mac,

Apparently I need some accessories to go with the grill. What do you guys recommend. Obviously I need the plate setter. Do I need a drip pan, etc. What do you guys think.

Thanks,
B

Bri,

Let me go out and take some pictures of what I have and how I use it.
Other than a plate setter, get some racks to cook stuff on. That's all I have.

I'll post some photos in a bit!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
MC Platinum

Thanks Brotha.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM
MC Maniac

Here's what I cook with

Plate Setter right side up with BGE Pizza Stone for cooking pizza/bread
Don't use a Pampered Chef or any other 1/4" Pizza stone as they will break. I've had this combo for over 7 years and there's not a single crack in either one. I exploded a Pampered Chef stone after 3 cooks, got smart and got the BGE stone

Plate Setter upside down (will rest on fire ring) with grill on legs for indirect grilling

This is a Weber Rib Rack, I bent down the last peice so I could cook beans at the same time as I did ribs.

4-5 hours at as close to 200 you can keep the Egg.

Last edited by Farmer Ted; 06-19-2006 at 08:51 PM.