5 Dead at least 8 Injured at Ft. Lauderdale Airport

Gunman Kills at least 5 people in Ft. Lauderdale Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/06...e-airport.html

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Angry

Let me guess, his name is probably mohammed abdulla amir islamabad...

prayers sent to those affected
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Let me guess, his name is probably mohammed abdulla amir islamabad...

prayers sent to those affected
The suspect in custody was identified as Esteban Santiago.

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Prayers, DEFINITELY! Situational Awareness, ABSOLUTELY!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Scary, these tragic incidents are happening far too often.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 AM

Boat: 06 X30
How does this information not get back to the Army, or did it?

Quote:
Piro described a bizarre encounter the bureau had with Santiago just months before the shooting. Santiago voluntarily walked inside an FBI office in last November, Piro said. Santiago clearly indicated at the time that he was not intent on hurting anyone, Piro said, but what another federal official called incoherent and erratic statements led agents to ask local police to take him for a mental health evaluation.

Federal law enforcement officials said that Santiago had told the FBI that the CIA was forcing him to watch Islamic State propaganda videos to control his mind. After interviewing Santiago’s relatives and conducting other reviews and checking with other agencies, the bureau closed its assessment of him.
The dude has obviously gone nuts.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
General discharge from the Alaska National Guard for "substandard" performance. Says he "heard voices".

The thing the strikes me is the media hysteria over the fact that this happened at an airport, and they seem to want to pin it on TSA, despite the fact that Baggage Claim is a public area subject to state law, not Federal regulations. The focus on a gun checked in baggage is misplaced, as is the fact that it happened at an airport. He could have easily just driven to Florida to murder people, or...once at the airport, he could have retrieved his bags, driven to the nearest mall and opened fire.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 G23 H6
Just shows that ZERO progress has been made in mental health reform in this country. Of course, one shouldn't generalize from one event but the statistics don't lie and I personally see it every day. Our mental health infrastructure in this country is a joke.

So sad and my heart goes out to the victims and their families.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
General discharge from the Alaska National Guard for "substandard" performance. Says he "heard voices".

The thing the strikes me is the media hysteria over the fact that this happened at an airport, and they seem to want to pin it on TSA, despite the fact that Baggage Claim is a public area subject to state law, not Federal regulations. The focus on a gun checked in baggage is misplaced, as is the fact that it happened at an airport. He could have easily just driven to Florida to murder people, or...once at the airport, he could have retrieved his bags, driven to the nearest mall and opened fire.
I agree. It did not happen on a plane so it could of happened any where. This dude was out of his mind. Well, clearly the Army knew about him going sour so they did what I would have done and separated him from the service.

Now the questions go deeper. If the guy was discharged from the Army for a mental condition that should have been in any federal database. How does the FBI not see it and conclude that it's a pattern of behavior that really needs treatment? I guess we should also ask the Army why didn't he get more treatment, or did he?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
The larger question is "how do you keep crazy people from having guns?" And that question is divided between a) keeping crazy people from buying guns vs b) keeping crazy people from possessing guns that they already own. In this guy's case, he already owned that pistol. When he was deemed "mentally unfit", how do they come get that gun? Somebody would have had to report mental unfitness, they would have needed to know that he owned a gun, and they would have had to know to come get it.

Just a weird scenario. The gun he used was an 8 round semiautomatic pistol designed for concealed carry....not exactly what one would consider to be the weapon of choice for mass murder. He could just as easily have brought an AK47 or AR15. It just doesn't seem likely that he got on the plane with the goal of killing people in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Just speculating. I wonder what the voices in his head were saying to him while he was on that flight. I wonder when they convinced him that he needed to kill people as soon as he got off that plane.