MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Another one.....
Attached Images

Don't be sad when it is over, be happy that it happened
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Three standing together in this one...Looks like 2 of them are sizing eachother up and the one in the back is going to take on the winner
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
MC Devotee

I didn't even notice the spike buck the first time i looked at this one with turkeys... Do you see him?
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
yup he's pretty washed out though.

I almost went deer hunting w/ my car Friday night, seemed to be inches. Personally not much of a deer hunter though. I will occasionally take a doe on my uncle's farm, but I prefer rifles, and I live in IL, and went to school in IA, so its pretty much slugs, archery(only own target gear) or muzzle-loaders.

I go for pheasants and other small game.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu Response LX w/ LS1
JB - If you ever need a hand "thinning the herd" at your place let me know! Those are some good looking deer!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
Crap, I just had some of our trail cam pics on my computer, I don't know where they went....

No good bucks yet...
Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 mastercraft x1
the one my buddy got

he came down last year took use one hour off serius hunting but we got one it only took him about six shots and got him in the but while it was walking away there like shooting fish in a barrel up here
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
Thats pretty cool camera set up there Jbfootin, how long have you been using???
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Two friends (great guys) have adjacent farms in KY where we go every year ... several hundred prime acres. The first weekend is just us guys, and the second weekend we bring our boys. I took a doe the first weekend and let a massive buck go ... he had a broken brow tine and we were going to have 5-6 kids the next weekend

I take my son Bruce, he's ten, back to the rifle range for one more practice round with his 30-30... he shooting 1.5" groups at 50 yards. We head down to the farm and go to one of the double stands. We are hunting on a hillside, with a drainage coming in the from the left, one from the far right, and they both feed into another heading away from us on the right side .... lots of oaks and deer trails everywhere. Its a great afternoon ... mid 50s and the temperature is dropping.

We did some rattling and grunt calls, but haven't seen anything yet. We've been there for 1.5 hours now, the sun is setting, and everything feels terrific

There he is ... directly in front of us coming down the hill ... please God, let this buck take a left and walk in front of us ... he does! OK Bruce, game time ... get ready there is a deer coming. "Is it a buck or a doe" he asks ... don't worry its just a deer ... don't look at the head just look at the body and get ready for a broadside shot. The buck stops between a couple of trees 50 yards out ... ok Bruce, nice and steady, shoot when you are ready. I ease up my right hand in back of Bruce's right shoulder to help with the rifle recoil and have my binoculars in my left

BAM

I'm watching and all I see is a white dust explosion directly over the buck's head .... what the heck???? The buck is now shaking his head and Bruce is saying "I think I got him dad". Bruce shot off part of his antler (left side G3). I chamber another round for Bruce and hand him back the rifle. Now Bruce realizes its a buck and is breathing hard ... control your breathing Bruce ... deep breaths .. and he does a great job getting himself calm. The buck is now walking again and stops again trying to figure out what just happened. Get ready Bruce ... here's your shot.

BAM

This time I see he's hit hard ... the buck starts trotting off with his head down ... he's hurt. I grab the rifle and chamber another round. The buck stops after 15 yards behind a tree and I see his head bobbing ... the death dance. I'm watching intently to make sure he doesn't go anywhere but can't see him anymore ... no deer .. where did he go? I'm assuming he went down, but we have all lost a deer before, and I can still remember mine ... not a good feeling. We are both glued to our binoculars ... looking for something on the ground but it is just too think to see clearly. Bruce think he sees him on the ground but I cannot.

Bruce is keeping an eye on my watch ... ten minutes is a long time to wait for a ten year old. I tell him we are going to wait 20 not 10 minutes. Finally its time. I tell Bruce we are going to say a quick prayer and he tells me he's been praying the entire time! I let Bruce get down first and make a little noise ... nothing moves.

We walk over and there he is. Bruce's excitement is hard to capture in words ... and there are no words to describe my feeling of pride in him. Bruce now realizes it is a nice 8 pointer and is just ecstatic ... "this is the best day of my life dad" .... what a day for the two of us. His shot was right in the boiler room too.

We head back to the house to get the other guys. One y friend had shot two does ... nice 200 yard shots from his trusty 6mm, and the two 16 year olds are now heading down the ravine to retrieve a doe one of them shot and she decided to run downhill all the way to the river ... it took two strong young men over an hour to haul her out!

We go get Bruce's deer, take some pictures, hang him in the barn, and head back to the campfire to tell the stories of the night and relive memories of the past ... a terrific tradition. What a day ... the rest of the weekend was cold and wet but successful. Two of the other boys shot does ... one of which was his first deer ... great job by all
Attached Images