Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-12-2004, 12:26 PM
jrlocas

transmission

need some help using, about a pint of transmission fluid in about a 2 hour run dip stick white foam, where am i losing it from seals,,, white foam could it be pump cavitating i am ready to pull and send out to fantastic fininsh marine transmissions for seal rework,,,, 92 prosport BW velvet drive runs fine no chatter, appears planetery gears fine, what to do here need advice thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Before sending it to them, why not call and pick their brains a bit to see if it really needs anything?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
I have a similar problem on mine (94 PS 190) and have pinpointed the problem to the fittings on the transmission that run the tranny fluid to and from the cooler. Also sometimes the vent cap on top of the tranny. If i keep the rpm's below 4000 its fine, other than that i check the level a couple times during the day to make sure i'm okay. This is just my temporary solution until the season's over. This winter i will be resealing all the fittings and replacing the tranny cooler. Good luck.

Nathan