Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM
TT Newbie

Question Impeller?

Does anyone recommend using a Teflon lubricant in the impeller housing after removing the impeller for the winter or just before replacing it in the spring? I heard this protects the impeller during initial start-up in the spring. If so what product would you recommend?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
go to a scuba store and get some food grade silicone grease. cover the impeller in a thin layer of grease and put in a zip lock for the winter. In the spring put some grease on the spline and inside of the housing then put the impeller back in. I will say if you put in a new impeller every spring the chance of over heat go way down. Some people do impellers only when they go out, I don't need the risk.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:42 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
They are so inexpensive, that I see no reason not to pull them at winterization, and put a new one in come springtime. George's solution sounds like the best advice, but in a pinch, I've heard that dish soap will get it to slide in. Anyone know if there are any negative ramifications of this method, assuming you're going to run some water through it right away (so the soap's not going to be sitting there in contact with the rubber on the impeller for long).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
dish soap works great when we change ours every year. Not supposed to use it on our lake...but what they don't know won't hurt 'em right?B
Old 08-12-2004, 11:14 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
This may be turning into the binding lube question, but with that in mind, I wonder if that clear wire-pulling lubricant would be a good solution?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
X2Halr

I agree with east tx skier if your going to pull it for winter may as well replace it with a new one before hitting the water in the new season..