Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Grover777's Avatar
Grover777 Grover777 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2001 PS 209
Location: Midwest
Posts: 355
Fog EFI Engine?

Hi:

Do I need to fog an efi engine? If so, what is the proper procedure?
I have a 2001 PS 209 with the 330hp LTR engine.

Thanks!
__________________
2001 Prostar 209
1959 Glaspar Trident
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
These threads may help, http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...+EFI&sa=Search
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 AM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover777 View Post
Hi:

Do I need to fog an efi engine? If so, what is the proper procedure?
I have a 2001 PS 209 with the 330hp LTR engine.

Thanks!
Yes, you do. Carburetor vs EFI makes no difference relative to the need to fog the engine before layup.

Pull your spark arrestor and with the engine running, spray fogging oil into the intake. The engine will bog and white smoke will come out the exhaust. I do this as the very last step in the winterizing process, and after several cycles of spray-bog-spray-bog, I spray into the intake until the engine actually dies.

Don't trust that the little red straw on the fogging oil can won't come loose and shoot into your engine.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 AM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Yes, you do. Carburetor vs EFI makes no difference relative to the need to fog the engine before layup.

Pull your spark arrestor and with the engine running, spray fogging oil into the intake. The engine will bog and white smoke will come out the exhaust. I do this as the very last step in the winterizing process, and after several cycles of spray-bog-spray-bog, I spray into the intake until the engine actually dies.

Don't trust that the little red straw on the fogging oil can won't come loose and shoot into your engine.
I don't know if the LTR is a "dry intake," but if it is, from what I've read about my non-indmar engine, you may not want to fog it at the intake. Rather, you would fog the cylinders (remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into the chamber) and then turn the engine over a few turns by hand. Again, this may be a PCM specific instruction, but it may be worth investigating further before you fog the intake on your engine.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-19-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Grover777's Avatar
Grover777 Grover777 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2001 PS 209
Location: Midwest
Posts: 355
Thanks! I will dig more and see what it takes for the LTR. I did the TMC Google search and did not find much for LTR.
__________________
2001 Prostar 209
1959 Glaspar Trident
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2008, 12:34 PM
OhioX14's Avatar
OhioX14 OhioX14 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Boat: Mastercraft, X14, 2008, MCX
Location: Ohio
Posts: 301
On newer engines there seems to be increasing reasons NOT to fog through the intake. On my MCX Indmar specifically warns against it as it can get into the catalytic converters and cause damage. There's also the EFI dry intake concerns and my dealer has warned me about that.

I'm a firm believer in changing the oil during winterization and really don't see the need to change it again in the spring. However, if you fog each cylinder and that stuff makes it's way into the oil pan I would feel compelled to change the oil again. Therefore, why bother? I never fogged my GT40 prior to purchasing my first Mastercraft, I know quite a few people who don't fog, and I don't plan on doing next year when I start winterizing my own boat again. There seems to be more reasons against it than there are for it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 AM
wpauling's Avatar
wpauling wpauling is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: X-Star, 08
Location: ice and snow
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioX14 View Post
On newer engines there seems to be increasing reasons NOT to fog through the intake. On my MCX Indmar specifically warns against it as it can get into the catalytic converters and cause damage. There's also the EFI dry intake concerns and my dealer has warned me about that.


My dealer gave me the same warning/concerns when we talked winterization on my MCX Indmar engine.
__________________
08 X-Star

A boat load of friends and miles of glass sure play havoc on the summer honey do lists.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
Location: Southeast
Posts: 349
I have to ask this?? My Master Craft dealer leaves the spark arrestor on, starts engine and sprays fogging oil through the arrestor.. Is this cool??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I have to ask this?? My Master Craft dealer leaves the spark arrestor on, starts engine and sprays fogging oil through the arrestor.. Is this cool??
Sounds like a little lazyness and if there is any dust, trash on the flame arrestor it could be dissolved during fogging and pulled into the intake.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I have to ask this?? My Master Craft dealer leaves the spark arrestor on, starts engine and sprays fogging oil through the arrestor.. Is this cool??
I don't think so, but the magnitude of its badness depends on the material of the spark arrestor. If it's a metal element, probably not too bad. If it's a K&N paper element, it's very bad.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.