Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Ryno

Fuel gauge not working

Our fuel gauge on our '01 X-Star isn't working anymore. It reads FULL all the time.

I think it worked a few weeks ago, before we got a lot of water in the bilge (about 6-8" ), but now it's not working. I've checked all the circuits underneath the dash and they all seem to not have tripped.

Any ideas what else could be wrong?
Sending unit got water in it?
Bad ground?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 351
Send a message via AIM to Bobby
I would hate to think that a boat that new would have that problem already. In my old '82 SN the fuel guage went out but it wouldnt read anything at all and it ended up being the sending unit. In my 88 K5 Jimmy the fuel guage sometimes works and sometimes reads more than full when I know it has no more than half a tank, but its sending unit is new so it must be a bad ground (hopefully). I know I probably didn't help much but at least I provided a couple of scenarios that I've encountered.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:11 PM
TT Regular

I always check the ground first with any electrical problem. Especially if it's a problem that seems to come and go. Find the black wires and make sure they're secure. Corrosion will sometimes seperate the wire where it's crimped onto the connector. Good luck and maybe somebody else can give you more x-star specific help.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Ryno

Well my gauge started working this weekend...sort of. After halfway through the day, I got a 3/4 full reading on the gauge. But the problem is, I had less than 1/2 a tank in there. So maybe it's something wrong with the float in the tank that's giving it a full reading for quite a while.
Saturday was probably the first time we've spent 10 hours on the lake, so maybe it just hasn't gotten low enough to register anything but full????
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Fuel guage

Ok, mine does not work at all now. Stays on E.
Is this sending unit whatchamacallit difficult to change and how much do they cost?