Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
waterboy Seattle

Prostar fuel sensor

I have a 97' Prostar 190. I think my fuel sensor is bad, it was sticking last year and this year it simply reads empty when the tank is full.

The dealer wants close to 300 bills (including parts) to change it out. Is it something that's reasonable for me to do? I'm reasonably mechanical.

Any tips?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft S & S 351 w/powerslot
Mine was very easy to change out but my boat is an 85 model. Unless they have made some huge changes it shouldn't be too difficult. You can get the parts pretty reasonable from www.skidim.com. I changed mine out in about an hour.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
DIM didn't have the sending unit for my boat when I got it swapepd last year. From MC, it ran about $75. If you're mechanical, it's probably something you can do. From what I've read, your old unit might be salvageable.

Welcome.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
I just did this two weeks ago on my '94 Prostar 190. It's pretty easy. You have to undo the brackets to the fuel tank and just slide it out. Throw away the old sender. I tried all the repair ideas, and they worked pretty well, but I ended up having to pull my tank three times before I finally just did it right and bought the new solid state sender from my dealer for $62. The only problem I had was with the old and new wiring harnesses not quite working together. I solved it by splicing the new sender to the old wiring harness.

Check out this thread for JimN's instructions on how to calibrate. It works perfectly. I couldn't be happier

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ht=fuel+sender

Kyle
Old 05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
waterboy Seattle

Cool Thanks for the help.

I think I'll give it a try. I'll have to go take a closer look at it. I thought my tank went below the floor so it wouldn't slide out, but I did not look at it that carefully.

Oh, and the tank is pretty full so I'll just have to ski all the gas off, darn.