Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Need advice on chrome wheel care for winter storage?

I bought one of the 40th Anniv 197's earlier this year along with the great looking trailer with the stainless fenders and chrome wheels. While it's a great looking package it comes with a great deal of maintenance to keep it that way. So, as winter approaches, I am looking for your thoughts as to what I can spray.coat the wheels and fenders with to keep them from possibly rusting/discoloring? The boat/trailer are stored in a dry, unheated pole barn on a cement floor and I thought of spraying them with WD-40, but I figured if there was a good product out there for such an application you guys would know.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
The fenders are Stainless Steel and the wheels are chromed aluminum. Neither should rust or corrode, but a good coat of Pledge Furniture Polish on all of it wouldn't hurt. I have a set of chromed aftermarket aluminum wheels by Eagle on my Buick and chromed steel wheels by American on the boat trailer and van and the wheel care instructions for both call for the use of Pledge Furniture Polish to keep them polished and shiny and it works and you can even use regular car wax, what ever trips your trigger.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 09-29-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
MC Devotee

Pledge...never heard that one before but I like it. MC actually replaced my wheels once as they pitted very badly (in less than 3 months) and the trailer does not sit outside. Maybe it was just a problem that occurred when they wee originally coated, who knows, but I certainly can not expect them to replace them again if the same thing happens, so I want to do all I can to preserve them.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Pledge...never heard that one before but I like it. MC actually replaced my wheels once as they pitted very badly (in less than 3 months) and the trailer does not sit outside. Maybe it was just a problem that occurred when they wee originally coated, who knows, but I certainly can not expect them to replace them again if the same thing happens, so I want to do all I can to preserve them.
Thanks for the advice.

That corrosion is possible of the wheels have been scrubbed or chipped and you are in salt water, but otherwise I can't see any reason other than a coating defect. If corrosion on chrome plated aluminum wheels is normal problem that anyone should encounter, then it would be a serious worldwide problem with all the factory and aftermarket chromed aluminum wheels that are being run this day and time.
The wheels on my Buick have been on it since 1999 and they put all kinds of salt and brine on our roads during winter storms and I've never had a problem. I do keep them clean inside and out using a bottle scrubber and your run of the mill biodegradable cleaner and soapy water and there is not a scratch on them or any scrubs or chips.
Attachment 40733

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 10-28-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
MC Devotee

Good to hear. I believe that the original set must have had something affect them during the coating process, but again, don't want to take any chances as these puppies are expensive to replace!!!
So, do you htink that a good coating of pledge will last all winter or will I need to periodically spray them.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Good to hear. I believe that the original set must have had something affect them during the coating process, but again, don't want to take any chances as these puppies are expensive to replace!!!
So, do you htink that a good coating of pledge will last all winter or will I need to periodically spray them.

Best case scenerio, would be to heavily spray on a rag and apply to real heavy and leave it that way till next spring, then buff off the excess.
I use Pledge that way on the front of the van hood, fenders, bumpers and mirrors when we travel long distances to keep the bugs from sticking, then when we get there it washes off with soap and water for the most part, polishes out when drying it off. It works super for the black fiberglass dash areas too on the boat. NASCAR teams have used Pledge, Non-Stick Cooking Spray and even Silicone over the years to prevent tire rubber and debris from sticking to the screen air inlets to make cleaning it off easier!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks.... that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
That corrosion is possible of the wheels have been scrubbed or chipped and you are in salt water, but otherwise I can't see any reason other than a coating defect. If corrosion on chrome plated aluminum wheels is normal problem that anyone should encounter, then it would be a serious worldwide problem with all the factory and aftermarket chromed aluminum wheels that are being run this day and time.
The wheels on my Buick have been on it since 1999 and they put all kinds of salt and brine on our roads during winter storms and I've never had a problem. I do keep them clean inside and out using a bottle scrubber and your run of the mill biodegradable cleaner and soapy water and there is not a scratch on them or any scrubs or chips.
Attachment 40733

Dang No1, do you have some neon lights under that car?, maybe some curbfeelers? You got her all tricked out!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 AM
MC Hero

When your a pinstriper, ya gotta represent, when ya cruise the ghetto!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
1, the buick looks almost as good as the john deere! nice rides all the way around.