Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-7
Motor RPM's increase while shifting in gear

What would be the correct adjustment to keep my idle rpms to stay constant while I am shifting to forward or reverse? Everytime I slowly move the throttle from neutral to either Fwd or Rev, the throttle increases slightly before it goes into gear making it a harder shift than it should be. If I wait a moment before the final engangement takes place, the RPM's start to drop back. '02 197 X-7, 310 hp. Perfect pass installed last year, but it did it before the Perfect Pass was installed.
Paul S.. Greensboro, NC
Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
ok I am no expert but I think your's has a physical throttle cable in place and I'd bet that some adjustments at the helm would solve this issue
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey Psheehy,

The throttle/shift linkages can be kind of tedious to get the adjustment correct, it CAN be just a matter of a turn or so...when I replaced my throttle/shift, I had to completely(obviously) reset everything and it took a while to get things working as they should. Mine however does have some sort of fairly positive method of keeping the throttle against the idle stop UNTIL you have shifted....there are adjustments at either end of the cable(s)...check it out

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesgardner
Hey Psheehy,

The throttle/shift linkages can be kind of tedious to get the adjustment correct, it CAN be just a matter of a turn or so...when I replaced my throttle/shift, I had to completely(obviously) reset everything and it took a while to get things working as they should. Mine however does have some sort of fairly positive method of keeping the throttle against the idle stop UNTIL you have shifted....there are adjustments at either end of the cable(s)...check it out

Wes
What Wes said. Your problem is in the linkage.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.