Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 209, 2002, 330HP Indmar
Tower and rope length question..........

I just got a '02 Prostar 209 with the Zero Flex tower. This is my first experience with a tower. I went out yesterday for the first time and was getting pulled off the tower. I had a wakeboard rope that was 75' with the 5' take offs, 3 total. I tried at full length, but the wake crossing was too wide. I had them take it as far in as possible, but I still felt like the wake was too wide. I was getting pulled at about 20 mph. What is the best rope length and speed so that wake jumps don't land inside the wake? I used to be an Open class kneeboarder and was used to getting pulled at 28' off from the regular pile. Getting into wakeboarding to save my back long term. Thanks for any help you can give.

Robert
Old 05-02-2005, 11:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Rabooze, I too have a '02 209 and I agree, the wake is wide simply because of the width of the boat. I think we use a wake board rope and take off at least 3-4 sections. I just started wake boarding 2 summers ago, so I am not all that talented. I also weigh 200 lbs. plus - need a lot of pop just to get off the wake. I am interested to see what everyone else has to input. Have you tried wake surfing yet? It's a good time - see prior posts.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Ditto
The 209 has a wide wake
It took each of us some time to adjust and find our favorite speed and line length.
Big difference in wake width 19-26 mph. We board more around 24 mph.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
rabooze:
I have a 93 205 prostar. My neighbor has a 02 X9. His wake is wider than mine. When first learning to wakeboard, it helps to shorten the rope shorter than the add ons. this will mean you have to tie the rope to the tower. We tie it in a way that it is easy to undo. You want to be where the wake is smallest, but still clean with no wash( approximately 55'-60'). After you get comfortable jumping wake to wake at this distance, then move out farther. It is very important to load the line( keep it tight as you hit the wake) this will give you the ability to clear the wake. Also with the short rope you will have to cut in harder.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
I don't want to hear about wide wake, my X30 is stupid wide. As you get better, you will appreciate the wide wake as you can still land on the downside of the other wake even if you go huge. Landing in the flats hurts the knees. Start shorter then get longer as you progress. I started at 60' to learn how to get across the wake, now I ride at 70' because it is closer to the sweet spot in my wake.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 209, 2002, 330HP Indmar
Thanks for the advice. My one rope has 3 take offs at 5' each, I believe. It is a Spectra line, I believe. I also have a Black Diamond line that I think has a few more takeoffs on it, so I will try that. I can jump pretty well, but I like to be able to get a nice clean lift and land on the downside. I am riding a Liquid FOrce Omega, 139, and yesterday was my first time on it. The water was also choppy as hell so I couldn't get a smotth ride at any speed.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Barefooter4life

60' at about 22.5mph is usually pretty good. I was a tournament kneeboarder as well and that is my comfort zone. Although I liked the kneeboard rope length better at 22 off rather than 28