Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-01-2005, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 98 Prostar 190
Question on the LT-1

Ok, Here is my issue. My cover needs to be replaced, but I don't want to do it till the end of the summer I don't want it to bake all summer. However it leaks a bit, so I am getting small amounts of water in the boat when it rains. The plug is pulled, but it still accumulates a little if it rains hard. Three times after a hard rain, when I put it in the water, it would start right up if I gave it some extra gas, but wouldn't go down to idle speeds so I could put it in gear. After 10 to 20 mins of running it about 1200 rpm, it will go down to the idle rpms, and then I am good to go with no more issues. And if it doesn't rain, I don't have this problem the next time.

So I am guessing I am getting some sort of condensation in a sensor or something, it acts like it is starved for air when I try to idle down and dies until after the time mentioned above. Is this something I can fix, besides getting the new cover and keeping all water out?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
My TBI does the same thing when it's cold. I usually let it warm up a couple minutes, then shut it off & back on again. That usually takes care of it.

In my case - I've learned (from this board) that it's the IAC valve. Not sure if you have that or not.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
MC Master Poster

The idle speed may be due to a sticky IAC valve. If you think it could be an accumulation of moisture, get a can of air(made for blowing dust out of electronics and computer keyboards and blow it onto the comnnectors for any sensors on the motor. If it immediately clears up, the weatherproof seal may be flakey. If you have a chronic moisture problem, you will have problems. Get the cover and make sure it has vents in it so it can breathe.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '95 MasterCraft Maristar 225_VRS 5.7 TBI
Lightbulb

My MC has a problem with the idle sticking in cold weather but as stated before just let it warm and then turn it off. It should start back with no problem. Where is this mystery valve though I would like to try and spray it out as suggested....
Old 05-02-2005, 06:09 PM
MC Master Poster

The IAC is mounted in the throttle body and has a four wire harness. Don't use a really strong solvent type of cleaner on this. There are some plastic parts and they could melt.

For anyone with idle and bogging issues- I know I have beaten this to death but make sure the flame arrestor is cleaned regularly. If there's a bunch of gunk on this, you can be sure the throttle plate and anything near it has this stuff on it, too.