Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-01-2005, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 2003, X2, MCX
Trailer Jerks after Braking

It feels like my 03í X2 trailer braking system has too much play in it. After I come to a stop then start out again I feel a strong jerk from the coupler. I looked closely at the underside of the coupler. If I push and pull on the coupler I see about 1/2 inch of travel before any contact is made with the spring plate. Is this normal? If so, Iíll adjust my driving style to minimize the occurrence, but if there is something wrong I would like to fix it.

I had my local MC dealer look at it at the end of last season; they of course said everything was fine. I donít have much good to say about those guys, but that is a whole other story. The other thing that appears strange is the wear that is occurring to the coupler just above the ball. Seems like an unusual place to wear.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Mine does the same thing. I always thought it had some thing to do with the disc brakes.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I'm not an expert, or am even giving an educated opinion here. But - I'm with you - it doesn't sound right. You would think there wouldnt' be any play in there at all. I'd be tempted to remove most of the play & see what happens.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

bleed the brakes and check the resoivor for fluid level.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
If bleeding the brakes doesn't do it, I understand that the spring that pushes the tongue back into place may be getting weak. At least thats what was explained to me about my 11 yr old trailer. Kind of disappointing if it's happening on an '03....... even more disappointing that the dealer can't find the problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 04, X10, 350MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatwake
It feels like my 03í X2 trailer braking system has too much play in it. After I come to a stop then start out again I feel a strong jerk from the coupler. I looked closely at the underside of the coupler. If I push and pull on the coupler I see about 1/2 inch of travel before any contact is made with the spring plate. Is this normal? If so, Iíll adjust my driving style to minimize the occurrence, but if there is something wrong I would like to fix it.

I had my local MC dealer look at it at the end of last season; they of course said everything was fine. I donít have much good to say about those guys, but that is a whole other story. The other thing that appears strange is the wear that is occurring to the coupler just above the ball. Seems like an unusual place to wear.

I have an 04 x10 and it does the same. How about braking with the boat off the trailer? Do you get the hop, skip and jump with the trailer as you slow down. Drives me nuts!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:56 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
mine does it too.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I had the same problem on my '02 trailer when my trailer is empty - no boat on it. Is the hitch level to the trailer or slightly higher? My tow vehicle - a Toyota Sienna has a very low hitch and the trailer is of course not level, but going slightly down hill - thus every time it's not loaded with the boat and I hit a bump or pothole the brakes come on and jerlk the trailer. It may be a matter of raising you hitch.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 2003, X2, MCX
I've only pulled the trailer a couple hunderd yards without the boat on it. It didn't seem to bounce around any, but this was hardly a reasonable test. I do pull at a pretty flat height (top of ball 19+ inches). I can't help but suspect the damper may be bad on the coupler. However, listening to everyone on the board it makes me wonder if this is not normal behavior (If it is normal, their design stinks). Otherwise, there are alot of us that have bad dampers. Maybe Titan will offer us a GROUP BUY.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 210VRS, Tower, MCX
Based on your photographs and my very recent experience at the dealer, there is nothing visably wrong.

However, you should check the dampner. Remove the rear pin that holds the dampner in place. With the pin removed the rear dampner attach point will drop down. Grab the dampner and cycle it fully closed and fully open. If at any point there is not lots of resistance then the dampner is bad and should be replaced.

Mine had a dead spot when it was being pulled. So when I went to hit the brakes I got too much uncontrolled collapse and then the truck and the trailer do the "herky jerky" dance.

New dampner is in and we are going out tomorrow. More to follow.

Cheers,
J.R.

Last edited by jrbrown; 05-22-2005 at 06:48 PM.