Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 04-29-2005, 10:10 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Air Chair or Sky Ski.....difference?

About 10 years ago I tried an Air Chair borrowed from my MC dealer.
It was a blast, and now that I can afford one (used) I need to know whats better.....Air chair or Sky ski? What is the difference between them?
I'm a beginner at this, but I don't want to have to buy a second one later on when/if I get better at it.
If I can find a used one on e-bay, that may be my best bet.
(Oh, yea guess I better buy my MC first )
Old 04-29-2005, 10:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier
About 10 years ago I tried an Air Chair borrowed from my MC dealer.
It was a blast, and now that I can afford one (used) I need to know whats better.....Air chair or Sky ski? What is the difference between them?
I'm a beginner at this, but I don't want to have to buy a second one later on when/if I get better at it.
If I can find a used one on e-bay, that may be my best bet.
(Oh, yea guess I better buy my MC first )

I got the same problem! All the toys for the boat, but no boat
Old 04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
I got a Sky Ski last year and really enjoy it. You might get an answer from a real expert.....Are you out there AirJunky? If you do really get into it, you'll most likely end up upgrading. I don't think it makes much difference which you choose for the entry level. As with anything, as your skills increase, you'll want more from your equipment. If you think the basic models are pricey, check out some of the top-of-the-line stuff. You can buy a boat for less!

I think you'll have fun with any of the hydrofoils. I'd stay away from some of the older models and get one just a couple of years old if you are looking at used foils. Check out some of the hydrofoil specific sites. People that are upgrading often post their old equipment there more reasonalbly than you might find on e-bay.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
AirJunky just left my place so I am sure he will post to this later. I have ridden both the airchair and the sky ski. I prefer the Sky Ski and I think that it is easier to ride and also rides much more neutral (flies around sitting more upright than leaning back or forward on it). Sky Ski is also only using billet aluminum now so they are lighter and stronger than the old cast. The new 2 piece billet has a very high performance ride for the price. If I was in your situation I wouldn't settle for a cast foil at all, in fact I just upgraded to billet myself. Once you get on the thing it is easy to get addicted. Go to a fly-in (www.hydrofoil.org) and you can ski with riders of all abilities and there are usually pros hangin out with everyone. I also slalom ski but since I found the foil my Phantom is getting less and less miles. If you are planning on using it at all I would say spend the money for a billet Sky Ski. You won't need to upgrade for quite a while. Just my
If you have any questions you can PM me or Airjunky and we can give you any and all advice you may be looking for but be prepared to become an addict. Check out www.foilfreaks.com for more info also.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
HEhehe, thanks guys...... NJSkier, I can't say enough about SkySki as a company & their products. I've been riding SS & AC since 1993, sold my HO Mach1 slalom ski & Hyperlite Shapiro Honeycomb wakeboard to ride these things full time. There is no other experience like flight, flying over the wake without even feeling it. I warn you, if you try these things, be prepared to put a lot of hours on your boat. Now days I need a strong ski as I'm well over 200 lbs & consistantly getting 10' or 12' of air on jumps, air rolls, wake rolls, front rolls & backflips. When I crash, I crash big & can bend or break a ski. The billet aluminum foils made by SS are strong, lightweight & fly super nice.
So what to buy, huh. A used SS will cost you $500 - $1500 & probably give you the strength & support that you can ride it as a beginner & well into your intermediate level. As you get better, a Shock Tower seat or a longer billet foil will help you get more air & clean up your landings.
The Stealth AC has a beginner wing that is great for beginners, but you will want to ditch it within the first week of riding it. Jumps of any significant height are difficult with the beginner wing. The curved blades are super quick, so much so that I found them difficult to get control of when you land. A more foregiving foil (SS) will allow you to land you first inverts much sooner.
You can go with an older foil, but they are so inferior to anything made in the last 2 or 3 years that you'd be holding yourself back in developing your skills. If you can afford it, get on a 2 piece billet SS with a rock tower, price is under $1400 & it'll give you a good ride well into your intermediate & advanced skills.
And check out the Hydrofoil List , the single largest group of riders anywhere on or off the net. Lots of riders of all types there, SS, AC, sit down, stand up, behind a boat or kite. There is very likely some riders on there that are in your area who would be willing to take you out to test ride a foil before you buy.

Last edited by AirJunky; 05-01-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X-30, 2005, MCX
What ever you do, do not ride someone's LE unless you are ready to spend a lot of money. I had a 2 piece billet SS, after riding a LE, well I have one now. Just got it and love it.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 AM
MC Master Poster

This stuff sounds addicting!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Your (future) payments are going up as we speak erk!!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

I think AirJunky is making that LE jump, right Bill??!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Nope, can't do it! Gotta get a boat first, then use what I have in ski equipment for a couple years.