Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Private Lake

I have been throwing the idea around about building a private lake. I was thinking a 10 acre lake would be sufficient. Has anyone looked into this?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
From all I hear, take what you think it's going to cost, then double it. For a ski lake, dimensions, if I remember range around 2,000--2,200 feet long and 250 feet wide. But there's a lot more to it, apparently, than just digging a hole and filling it with water, even after you get through all the red tape.

Go for it!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
I have property on a private ski lake. I will ask the guy on our lake that built it your question. Maybe I will be able to get him onto the site soon. There is no better way to ski as far as I'm concerned. I've done both and won't slalom(course)on open water anymore. I have glass all day and can ski from Feb through Nov. Betsy
Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
MC Hero

Agreed that it's the best way to go for slalom.

This is always a good place to start.

http://www.laku.com/

Check the link on how to build a ski lake.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
MC Addict

I have access to land and earth moving equipment. I was thinking around $100K. With some local friends who ski as investers, it may not be too much per person. Like I said, just a thought (or maybe it's a dream)...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:30 PM
MC Hero

Is that $100K per person? I've heard a realistic figure is around $500K by the time all is said and done. The June 2003 Water Ski Mag has a good short article about the process. It estimates that it can be done for $250K for a very well-organized project.

Read that laku article if you haven't already. It's a really good summary of all that's involved.

I'm not trying to discourage you. We all dream about it (at least I do). It might be easier, if you have access, to get a membership to a lake that's already been built. Definitely keep us posted.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 08-11-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sammy Duvall 190 - LT1
Another potential source of info is Feasby's. I too have brainstormed (dreamed) about building my own lake. I have not yet contacted Feasby's, so I can not vouch for them, but they specialize in helping you as much or as little as you need. Check it out, and PLEASE keep the site posted on you progress. I am very interested in anything you learn.

Here's the link.

http://www.feasbylakes.com
Old 08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
Ok ski buddies...try speedyfarmerterry@direcway.com He built our lake and we have had several others go up in the area recently.He should be able to give you an estimate. Our lake is by the Paradise Estates in Bakersfield. They are quite elaborate and the site for a home is 200k...not with the house. Dues are pretty high too. 500 per share owned. The owners out there have built huge hangars for their private planes next to their homes.(or should I say castles) We, on our lake are a bit more down to earth. So, I think Terry could give you a figure on either way you want to go. Betsy
Old 08-11-2004, 02:48 PM
MC Addict

Doug-
I could understand it costing that much if you had to buy the land.
I have emailed both builders. I'll post their replies.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
MC Hero

B&D, do they tax you on the water usage at your lake. I've heard some rumblings around here about something along those lines. I've seen lake lots for sale on at least one private lake in Texas for around $56K

Bcampbe7, I hope you get a good bid on it. Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. I think that price must include the lawyers. From all I've heard, there's a lot of red tape, and that these projects are long and drawn out as a result. Of course, having never done it, I don't have first hand info for you. I'd invite you to build it in east Texas!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club