Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X7
Zero Off now standard on 09 Mastercraft

I have just found out from my dealer that Zero Off will be standard on all 09 Mastercrafts. I got onto the Zero Off site and found the below information on their Q&A page

"In May of 2008 AquaStar, Inc./EControls, Inc. & Perfect Pass signed an agreement that states;

* 1) Perfect Pass will not offer drive by wire systems to boat OEM's beginning 2009 boat model year.
* 2) Perfect Pass will not offer retrofit systems for 2009 model year for drive by wire applications.
* 3) Perfect Pass is licensed to sell Star Gazer to its existing customer base until the beginning of 2009 boat model year.
* 4) Zero Off will not retrofit mechanically/servo driven applications."

Does any one know what is exactly going on?
This seems to me Perfect Pass are going out of business.
Can anyone elaborate.

The Zero Off site has very little information on the differences between their "3 Event" system and their "Wake" system.

What system should I use: We predominantly barefoot and social slalom and do a small amount of wake boarding. The three event seems a little overkill but does the wake version accommodate the higher speeds?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205
thats pretty rough news for perfect pass... I cant see why they would agree to stop selling systems for current motors. Practically everything is heading to drive by wire. Maybe perfect pass will be buying them out? I cant imagine zero off has brought in enough capital to fight perfect pass off.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
This all took place a few months back. Patent issues and agreements and a sale of a division of the company. We discussed this a ton back then. Search Zero Off for more.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RTP-1
Send a message via AIM to Lennyp04
I saw that too. I'm dumb so tell me...if I have an 07 I won't be able to get perfect pass after 09 but still have time to get it now?

2007 MasterCraft X-1, RTP-1, Ballast, MC Cruise, swivel board racks, Glacier White and Midnight Black
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
thats pretty rough news for perfect pass... I cant see why they would agree to stop selling systems for current motors. Practically everything is heading to drive by wire. Maybe perfect pass will be buying them out? I cant imagine zero off has brought in enough capital to fight perfect pass off.
Just OEM applications for Indmar and PCM the way I understand it. There's a huge I/O market out there to which this agreement does not apply in that case. Perfect Pass also has exclusive license to ZO's GPS technology as well as exclusive access to every ski boat produced before 2005 for the next eight years at least. So in this economy, with gas prices where they are, if you're a skier and with a pre 2005 boat, you would have to be or be pulling some fairly high up competitive skiers to buy a new boat just so you could have the same brand speed control they're using in the tournaments. That's not to say they're not people out there doing this. I know for a fact that there are. But with that GPS tech license, PP can potentially emulate ZO for wired throttle boats in SG and already have a system that doesn't run off the paddle wheel.

I don't believe they'll be going out of business.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyp04 View Post
I saw that too. I'm dumb so tell me...if I have an 07 I won't be able to get perfect pass after 09 but still have time to get it now?
I haven't seen anything that says you will not be able to get Perfect Pass for your 07 after 09. Everything I've read indicated that the agreement only applies to 09 and newer boats. That third sentence above says up through boat model year. So nothing changes for 08 and older boats come 2009.

Last edited by east tx skier; 07-10-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
Not exactly accurate...not all 2009's. All MasterCraft "X" boats (except X7 I think) will have Perfect Pass for 2009. If you order a MariStar or ProStar then you'll be stuck with Zero-off.

Les Grossman
Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMC View Post
Not exactly accurate...not all 2009's. All MasterCraft "X" boats (except X7 I think) will have Perfect Pass for 2009. If you order a MariStar or ProStar then you'll be stuck with Zero-off.
I like how you put it with your saying "you'll be stuck with Zero-Off"...

from what I'm hearing the Pro skiers are adjusting to the new system but still doesn't sound like Zero-Off is stepping up their support for any issues with the system. I hope Perfect Pass can figure something out to get their systems back in the boats.

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I had the chance to ski Zero Off this past weekend. One set behind it on B setting. Skied within 1 ball of a PB. The pull is definitely different than Gazer but I had no complaints.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3skier View Post
I like how you put it with your saying "you'll be stuck with Zero-Off"...

from what I'm hearing the Pro skiers are adjusting to the new system but still doesn't sound like Zero-Off is stepping up their support for any issues with the system. I hope Perfect Pass can figure something out to get their systems back in the boats.
Stuck is right...the word bad doesnt even come close to covering it when describing their customer service.

Les Grossman