Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDriven View Post
Owned 209 & X9. Test drove X14 & X15. Now have an X2.

On wakes, agree for skiing X14 is better than X9 and within spitting distance of 197 - I free ski (no course on my lake), so I don't notice the difference. At 36 MPH, the ski wake behind my X2 is just fine.

On wakeboard wakes, X15 tops, followed by X2, X9, X14 & then X7.

On non-wake issues, I am not a big fan of the X14. Downside in my opinion is it's very cramped (think V-drive set up with an engine plopped in the middle) ver. I also think the X9 is more comfortable and a better everyday boat. X14 handles better than X9.

Agree with the poster who said the guy who writes the check makes the call. Test drive and ski them - I would recommend you look at the X2 as well (it's very versitile and functional and roomy) - e.
Man, thanks for the input. Your many hours in MC's make it great info. As the guy who "writes the check" and who sold a 24 foot Cobalt so I could get a MC, I fully understand the room issues related to direct drive boats. I am willing to make that adjustment.

I do have a couple more questions if you don't mind:

X-2 ski wakes vs X-14 head to head? I drove an X 2 in the winter and did not like the look of the slalom wake from inside the boat...but that's not the same as being back there.

X-14 handles better than X-9....I've never driven the 14, so I'd like that feedback too. thanx in advance....
Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2 with MCX
The X1 is strong too - also suffers from the lack of pizzaz because it's not the hot new thing, but great boat.

Former: 2006 X9; 2001 209

Home Lake: Lake Anna, VA

"I don't know, but I've been told: you never slow down, you never grow old." - Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Age: X14 has better ski wake than X2 (so does X9), but I don't think most people would notice it unless they go from one to the other right away. I have the attitude adjustment plate on my X2 which really helps. At 36 MPH with plate on 70% I can skip over the X2 wakes and barely notice them (but they are there). X2 is 96" wide, so they're pretty much the same width as X14 and X9. Not sure your skill level and if you are running a course or not. I am old but (putting modesty aside for a moment) a very good skiier, and I haven't lost any enjoyment out of skiing with the X2 wake. I ski less because there's no course on my lake and I find wakeboarding more enjoyable because I can learn new things and measure my progress (I still stink at wakeboarding - modesty back in place). The extra enjoyment I (& my family) get when IN the boat is very measureable. Better cocktail cruising. Better wake boarding and surfing wakes too.

People think the X2 is a boarding boat because it looks like the XStar. Both are pickle forks, but completely different hulls otherwise. X2 is really a cross-over boat. I would describe it as a wakeboard boat you can ski behind, whereas the X14 & X9 are ski boats you can wakeboard behind. X2 more family/cruising friendly - X14/9 for the hard core skiiers.

On handling, the 2007 X14 exceeded my 2006 X9, but frankly my 2008 X2 drives better than both even though it's a V drive. They keep improving the throttle and handling, plus I have the plate on the X2.

Think about how you will use it and where your priorities are and find the one that fits your balance. I would factor in the wife & kids, because even if you write the check, you'll hear about the comfort issues (except when you're at the end of the rope!). If you have a place on the water with a dock, you can tolerate some room and storage inconveniences, but if you are hanging out in the boat all day, that extra room and storage is a big plus. My favorite feature of the X2 is that the cooler is an Igloo you can fill with beer, water & ice at the house and store below the seat. Heck, they even throw in the cooler for no extra charge - can you believe that?!?

"I don't know, but I've been told: you never slow down, you never grow old." - Tom Petty
Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDriven View Post
Age: X14 has better ski wake than X2 (so does X9), but I don't think most people would notice it unless they go from one to the other right away. I have the attitude adjustment plate on my X2 which really helps. At 36 MPH with plate on 70% I can skip over the X2 wakes and barely notice them (but they are there).

Think about how you will use it and where your priorities are and find the one that fits your balance. I would factor in the wife & kids, because even if you write the check, you'll hear about the comfort issues (except when you're at the end of the rope!). If you have a place on the water with a dock, you can tolerate some room and storage inconveniences, but if you are hanging out in the boat all day, that extra room and storage is a big plus. My favorite feature of the X2 is that the cooler is an Igloo you can fill with beer, water & ice at the house and store below the seat. Heck, they even throw in the cooler for no extra charge - can you believe that?!?
Thanks MCDriven...couple things, we have owned a deck boat and two large sterndrive bowriders over the last ten years. Our use now involves less hours, less people and only skiing and boarding...thus the move to an inboard. There's nothing on the water as comfortable as a Cobalt 246 for all day crusing, etc...and I just sold that cuz we are beyond that stage (I too am old...)

How much difference did the plate make on your X-2?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Haven't tried it without the plate (I am too old to waste the energy it takes for a run) and really picked 70% from the driver's seat view. Seems to really help from that perspective. Also use it when I take the kids tubing so they slide over the wakes easier. Don't think it's an excessively expensive option - available after market too. I was skeptical but now would recommend it.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

By the way, I drive a sports car with no spare tire, so I understand sacrificing convenience for performance (although I was regretting the trade off the time I got a flat on Interstate 81 at 4:30 a.m. one Sunday morning!).

Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Can I get some feed back with respect to how the x-14 wake compares to the x-7. would like the x-14 for the room, but don't want to sacrifice skiability...
Thanks
Just looking over an older post of mine...,

I ended up buying a 197 cause a got a great deal on it (and love it by the way), but had a chance to ski the x14 (mid engine) and was very, very impressed!

At 22 off, I found the wake on the x14 much flatter - let's face it, the 197 has a beautiful wake, but it is a competition boat and is near perfect at higher speeds and shorter line lengths as it was designed for but for the family ski, i would recommend the x14 for the overall great skier/wakebaord/wakesurf and room.

But overall, you won't be disappointed by whatever choice is made.

Looking for a mid engined one if there's one out there reasonably priced.