Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #491  
Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,648
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I never would have thought these regulators had automotive applications! Need to find one that has the 60 psi rating.

As far as the splicing goes its not a "big" issue so long as you do a good job. I had to change out the pump in my Suburban with one that needed a different connector. It's crimped and solder and then heat shrink on it. Gas doesn't conduct electricity. If you think about it there are exposed connections on the top of the pump itself.
bwd 23087 is 50 psi - in the same configuration Tim?
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:20 PM
whiskeyriver's Avatar
whiskeyriver whiskeyriver is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Location: Florida
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I never would have thought these regulators had automotive applications! Need to find one that has the 60 psi rating.

As far as the splicing goes its not a "big" issue so long as you do a good job. I had to change out the pump in my Suburban with one that needed a different connector. It's crimped and solder and then heat shrink on it. Gas doesn't conduct electricity. If you think about it there are exposed connections on the top of the pump itself.
I sent you a pm
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:43 PM
whiskeyriver's Avatar
whiskeyriver whiskeyriver is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Location: Florida
Posts: 92
I installed the 40psi regulator from advance and koeo the fuel pressure locked up at 41psi. I was excited...... then I started the engine. Fuel pressure was all over the place, needle bouncing violently from 38-50psi. and the engine was loping. Due to the fact that I have had previous bad experiences with the lesser expensive parts store chains, I decided to order one from my local dodge dealership. Installed it today and pressure is a rock solid 40psi at idle and only deviates about three pounds when you bury the throttle and quickly recovers to 40psi. Engine idles slick as glass and performs beautifully at all rpms.
The regulator from dodge was $102.00
Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,648
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyriver View Post
I installed the 40psi regulator from advance and koeo the fuel pressure locked up at 41psi. I was excited...... then I started the engine. Fuel pressure was all over the place, needle bouncing violently from 38-50psi. and the engine was loping. Due to the fact that I have had previous bad experiences with the lesser expensive parts store chains, I decided to order one from my local dodge dealership. Installed it today and pressure is a rock solid 40psi at idle and only deviates about three pounds when you bury the throttle and quickly recovers to 40psi. Engine idles slick as glass and performs beautifully at all rpms.
The regulator from dodge was $102.00
Thanks to all.
awesome... $102 - I call that a cheap repair... YES!!!
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
bwd 23087 is 50 psi - in the same configuration Tim?
The MCXs need between 58 and 62 psi. Well, that's what the Indmar fuel chart shows so I think 50 would probably create a lean condition.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 PM
jeepjake's Avatar
jeepjake jeepjake is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: '99 sportstar
Location: midwest
Posts: 7
I need some help, some of you may have seen my other post about my 99 sportstar with the MX Plus 310hp dieing. I have it determined it only happens around a half tank of fuel so I'm leaning towards the fuel filter. Now the problem is I just got back from the dealer and to avoid to much of a rant they told me they can't help. Where do I find a fuel filter? Also if i need a pump has anyone found a replacement? Here is a picture of the top of my module. This forum has been a huge help so far so thank you to everyone.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by jeepjake; 09-03-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: remove image
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Jayhawk's Avatar
Jayhawk Jayhawk is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Boat: 2001 X-Star
Location: Kansas
Posts: 407
Not positive, but I think this is the filter: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=155101
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 AM
36Volt 36Volt is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Boat: 1988
Location: Northwest
Posts: 7
I must say, that's a super post boofer
I started few weeks ago as a tech for a MasterCraft dealership. Already seen a couple of these.

And to answer your question.. YES, that is POOR QUALITY. kinked hose, squished torn rubber mounts, kind of a mute hose replacement selection on the new one, and the missed slot for the return line is particularly disturbing.

bigmac had a fair point, GM pumps in cars and trucks don't seem go out proportionality as often as these are in the Mastercraft ones seem to be.

I hate to say it but this is related to outsourced parts. MasterCraft are definitely Hand built buy some proud American Craftsmen, from what I am seeing, The Harley Davidson of boats.
But even MasterCraft cannot excape the perils of MADE IN CHINA.
Even when MasterCraft makes the contract for a "Proprietary" type pump assembly, Federal Mogul, Carter or who ever, they just outsource it to China or the like.
If it doesn't have a GM part number on fuel pump may be GM don't have anything to do with it, might be Illmor or Mastercrafts own design.

America is in trouble when too many of small hardware items are no longer made in America and China, is the only game in town.

I am seeing way too often how magnificent machines (not just Mastercraft) are crippled by only a few parts that the only game in town for them is low quality.
This effects airplanes (which are regulated and still) I rejected tons of stuff while inspecting aircraft. For instance burning batteries on the 787, not the plane, the supplier, sure makes the plane look bad.
Had a first hand view of a Brand new 1.7 million dollar firetruck could not start the pump once hooked to the hydrant, mom and two kids perished. We where even in hot water (working for the city at that time) turns out, was a relay, made in China.

I will talk to techs in Tennessee and ask about the hose kinks.
I am going to ask what is going on with these pumps, since I work there now.
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 09-20-2014, 10:43 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Volt View Post
I must say, that's a super post boofer
I started few weeks ago as a tech for a MasterCraft dealership. Already seen a couple of these.

And to answer your question.. YES, that is POOR QUALITY. kinked hose, squished torn rubber mounts, kind of a mute hose replacement selection on the new one, and the missed slot for the return line is particularly disturbing.

bigmac had a fair point, GM pumps in cars and trucks don't seem go out proportionality as often as these are in the Mastercraft ones seem to be.

I hate to say it but this is related to outsourced parts. MasterCraft are definitely Hand built buy some proud American Craftsmen, from what I am seeing, The Harley Davidson of boats.
But even MasterCraft cannot excape the perils of MADE IN CHINA.
Even when MasterCraft makes the contract for a "Proprietary" type pump assembly, Federal Mogul, Carter or who ever, they just outsource it to China or the like.
If it doesn't have a GM part number on fuel pump may be GM don't have anything to do with it, might be Illmor or Mastercrafts own design.

America is in trouble when too many of small hardware items are no longer made in America and China, is the only game in town.

I am seeing way too often how magnificent machines (not just Mastercraft) are crippled by only a few parts that the only game in town for them is low quality.
This effects airplanes (which are regulated and still) I rejected tons of stuff while inspecting aircraft. For instance burning batteries on the 787, not the plane, the supplier, sure makes the plane look bad.
Had a first hand view of a Brand new 1.7 million dollar firetruck could not start the pump once hooked to the hydrant, mom and two kids perished. We where even in hot water (working for the city at that time) turns out, was a relay, made in China.

I will talk to techs in Tennessee and ask about the hose kinks.
I am going to ask what is going on with these pumps, since I work there now.
I think, after discussing this with Mark in tech support (I don't know if he's still there), but the combination of bad inspection practices (is the kink in the hose caused by a simple bend, or is it twisted and trying to find its own position?), ethanol (not a problem in a closed system) and vented fuel tanks is at fault. If the tank wasn't vented, I don't think we would have had 1% of the problems, although adding fuel from cans that are stored poorly would still exist.

Not long after the fuel pump failures began to reach high numbers, Mark told me that the returned pumps usually worked fine by the time they arrived at MC and Delco/Delphi, etc don't credit manufacturers when working parts are returned. It ties up a lot of money and when the part manufacturer actually denies that a problem with their part exists, it's even worse. This happened when GM water circulating pumps had seals that were made to be used ONLY when coolant was in the system, not fresh water. I replaced three pumps in the ProStar that was owned my SchoolSkier and never saw ANY evidence of overheat/running dry- his boat was absolutely immaculate.
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 09-20-2014, 04:18 PM
36Volt 36Volt is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Boat: 1988
Location: Northwest
Posts: 7
ALL good points - JimN

Ultimately even if the pump(s) can come back to life during return to manufacturer, there is still that pesky time it strands people in their boats.
Not sure if they even have anything but a "assembler self inspection" rather than a "QA" testing and inspecting configuration at where ever these are ultimately assembled into the module. This is referred to as "process monitoring."

An unfortunate direction in culture to modern manufacturing, sure cheaper for them and bigger profits to them, but unfortunate for the rising numbers in end user disappointments.

So to address your comment on bad inspection practices, if the "pump" works when it is tested by the manufacturer, likely it may not be bad, or even several other individual components to the "fuel pump module" may be fine (despite process monitoring). Pumps likely are stalling out and not working for a time because they are being harshly overworked by the overall configuration of the Module, like the kinked hose, or even pump rating V.S. pressure relief set pressures may have some review.
So at what point do you think we can "improve" the "inspection practices" to intercept this dilemma? Should MasterCraft actually disassemble and reinspect every module before putting in the boat for anomalies in the module... and even fix them, Or at least dealership services could open one up and try to mitigate and kinks, (or would be kink bends after ethanols and such) , or are the end users expected to open themselves to improve their chances of not being stranded.

All I'm saying - even though there is a significant number of MasterCrafts having this issue, yet I see more of them NOT having issues. This begs me to consider that if the fuel modules work in most but not many, this is where there is an increased inspection point. Who ever is doing the last final inspection to the WHOLE MODULE - BEFORE it is shipped to be INSTALLED.

When failure issues begin to show higher to one product than others of a similar product, the manufacturer should not only make a campain (similar to a recall) but they should make the replacement module a robust "sorry everybody" visibly better unit for the manufactures OWN IMAGE to make right what MasterCraft and MasterCrafts users have to endure.

Hopefully this will at some point be resolved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.