Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM
MC Master Poster

They still need fuel at the inlet. I really think this is where the problem lies here. I think the size and shape of the tank is what causes this issue. 5 gallons across 48" is not a lot of volume, when the boat is under hard acceleration goes to the wrong part of the tank. If you want a pump that's mounted over the front of the tank to pick up any fuel, accelerating and sloshing fuel to the back, plus raising the bow- not a chance in he!! of that working.

Last edited by JimN; 09-14-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
They still need fuel at the inlet. I really think this is where the problem lies here. I think the size and shape of the tank is what causes this issue. 5 gallons across 48" is not a lot of volume, when the boat is under hard acceleration goes to the wrong part of the tank. If you want a pump that's mounted over the front of the tank to pick up any fuel, accelerating and sloshing fuel to the back, plus raising the bow- not a chance in he!! of that working.
Yeah the fuel sloshing crossed my mind as well. I figured since they were able to do it in the past and supply enough fuel to a 330 HP motor, along with the fact that I have seen many cars at the track getting the nose higher than any boat at take off.

In regards to the Coast Guard thing. I find it interesting that they seem to have done a 180 on fuel pump regulations. The only info I could find was from 2002 and the fuel pumps were required to be within 12 inches of the engine http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr183.570.pdf
Old 09-14-2008, 04:39 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago190 View Post

In regards to the Coast Guard thing. I find it interesting that they seem to have done a 180 on fuel pump regulations. The only info I could find was from 2002 and the fuel pumps were required to be within 12 inches of the engine http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr183.570.pdf
I prefer to think that compliance with Coast Guard requirements is the reason MC's fuel pump arrangement is so problematic. The alternative is to believe that MasterCraft a) doesn't know it's a problem or b) knows it's a problem but figures it's cheaper to ignore it rather than redesign the system. After all...it's only on a 1 year warranty (maybe 2, according to recent rumors).
Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 PM
MC Master Poster

The fuel sloshing should only be a problem if the acceleration is sustained for longer than the reserve chamber's capacity can run the engine. As far as the pump being within 12" of the motor, that's why the old pumps were on there in the first place, because the CG apparently didn't understand how it's possible to stop the fuel flow if there's a breach in the fuel line if it's between the pump and motor.

I have an idea of how this problem could be eliminated completely, but I don't have a boat like the ones that are affected to use as a test subject. Sucks to be me, eh?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X15
Pump replaced - but the hose?

The pump replacement wasn't a problem at all, but what about the hose? I pulled the old flexible line out and replaced it with new 1/4" black tubing with stainless hose clamps, problem is - it appears to kink towards the top of it?

Can you order the flexible 1/4 to 5/16 hose that was on there - or what have others done?

current:
2006 Mastercraft X15

past:
2006 Mastercraft X-1
1986 Mastercraft Skier 19
1978 Ski Tique
1987 Mastercraft ProStar
Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
anybody know where the pictures went?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM
MC Fanatic

my fuel pump just quit.....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
anybody know where the pictures went?

I still see them but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Easy fix Neil, keep this thread bumped and ask a question if ya need some help.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks TX X-30. I guess I forgot how slow the wifi out at the vacation place really is. The pictures finally showed up.

Thanks to Boofer and others, I replaced the pump itself with a Delphi FE 0237 from NAPA ($220), and I'm back in business.

Once again, TeamTalk came through. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmercil View Post
The pump replacement wasn't a problem at all, but what about the hose? I pulled the old flexible line out and replaced it with new 1/4" black tubing with stainless hose clamps, problem is - it appears to kink towards the top of it?

Can you order the flexible 1/4 to 5/16 hose that was on there - or what have others done?
Yes, the hose is a problem. Replacing it with standard 1/4 inch fuel hose is apparently a bad idea since there isn't any 1/4 inch fuel line that is suitable for submersion in gasoline. Looks like you have to re-use the hose that's in there, like TX X-30 did.

That part (hose) isn't available from MasterCraft since their repair paradigm is to just replace the entire $441 module, hose and all. The module mfgr, (Carter) has gone to that corrugated non-kinking hose on their new pumps, but no one has been able to find a source for that.

The two mfgrs of submersible fuel line are Delphi and Gates, neither of which makes the stuff in 1/4 inch size.

Anyway, nice find on the pump - yet another replacement model to be added to the other three we know of. I note that this FE0237 pump is readily available from multiple sources, although it appears to be quite a bit more expensive than the others.

Glad you're back on the water, although you need to be careful about the longevity of the hose that you replaced. According to most sources, it will only last somewhere between a week and one year before it deteriorates and either leaks or pops off the fittings.