Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X-Star 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mastercraft View Post
I have read all the info on this subject..very good info!! my question is I have a 2007 x-15, and I am having a lot of trouble getting my engine to start. I have replaced the fuel pump with a airtech as suggested on 1 of the forums. The boat started but not without the aid of a spray of easy start to the carb. So I went to a boat dealership and asked the mechanic for his thoughts what could be the problem and he told me the fuel pump..so I bought a pump from him that he said he has used in a few mastercrafts and never had a prob. Well needless to say I have so I am back to square 1..this is what happens when you spray the easy start into carb it fires up and runs no probs, leave it for an hour and it will not start with out the aid of the spray...any ideas on what the prob could be would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Sounds to me like your check valve may not be holding the pressure once you stop running. I would get a fuel pressure gauge (around 35 bucks). You can get at local auto parts or Amazon. Check your pressure it should be 50 to 60 psi I believe. It connects to the shrader valve on the fuel rail. Real easy to do.
I would recommend doing some diagnostics rather than just replacing stuff.
Also you can leave it hooked up and see what pressure does at different rpms before starting after starting etc

Gauge from amazon
Actron CP7818 Fuel Pressure Tester Kit
http://amzn.com/B0006V2BI2
Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 AM
MC Master Poster

I would also try this sequence to start- Key On, pause for about 5 seconds, Crank- if it start easier, the pressure build-up during the priming cycle indicates that the pressure dropped off.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, X9, 2002, LTR330
I have had the following problem:

From full tank of fuel to half tank of fuel runs great no problems, under half a tank gets a feeling of fuel surge or something, wont rev to 4500RPM @ WOT etc

With what I have read I think I'm headed in the right direction to replace the fuel pump.

Anyone know what fuel pump is required for a 2002 209/X9 with the LTR 330 motor, it has the return line as well.

MC advise a fuel pump pressure of 35-45PSI at the rail but don't advise what pressure the pump is capable of.

Have seen all the pumps suggested on here to make pump pressure at 90 - 100 PSI

This seem pretty high, I have also seen posts about pumps that produce 60 PSI which seem more correct

Any help would be good
Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The pressure in the fuel rails is regulated by the fuel line pressure regulator. Hence the pumps for the cross-reference.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Prostar TT 197 w/ LY6
I replaced mine when having similar issues. I have the part number of it, but don't know that this would help you because of different model and year. However...if you expose the top of your current pump, it should have a model number displayed on the top of it.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burto View Post
I have had the following problem:

From full tank of fuel to half tank of fuel runs great no problems, under half a tank gets a feeling of fuel surge or something, wont rev to 4500RPM @ WOT etc

With what I have read I think I'm headed in the right direction to replace the fuel pump.

Anyone know what fuel pump is required for a 2002 209/X9 with the LTR 330 motor, it has the return line as well.

MC advise a fuel pump pressure of 35-45PSI at the rail but don't advise what pressure the pump is capable of.

Have seen all the pumps suggested on here to make pump pressure at 90 - 100 PSI

This seem pretty high, I have also seen posts about pumps that produce 60 PSI which seem more correct

Any help would be good
Did you check the fuel pressure? If not, do it.

It doesn't need to be able to produce 90-100 psi. If they spec 30-45, that's all you need. It's not just pressure that determines how much/well the fuel is delivered, it's also the pulse width. Using a higher pressure pump without changing the pulse width is screwing with the delivery and it will not work.

Good performance at half-full sounds more like a bad filter, to me.

If you want to know which pump it needs, look on the one that's in the tank. If you decide to use something else, I would advise you not to expect it to be "like new". Changing the pump specs makes it do things differently from the original design.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Yep, when was the last time you changed your filter?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, X9, 2002, LTR330
Just had the boat imported Gents from the US, so i will start with that and see how we go next time out.

Thanks again for the help.

Will let you know how we go with a new filter
Old 04-24-2014, 04:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Tournament Team Prostar 197
Fuel pump 101

Boofer, thanks for your excellent FP101 thread, and all you other guys who weighed in! I had the same problem: no start after a winter’s storage, no fuel pump sound when key was turned, & no fuel pressure at the Schroeder valve, so I suspected the pump. Replaced fuel pump, problem fixed. Mine is a 2004 TT 197 / MCX 350hp
Some observations:
1. MC dealer wanted $700 + shipping for the whole enchilada.
2. Installed NAPA #P74118 pump ($82), which turned out to be another Carter pump. Sorry, I didn’t write down the number (family anxious to get on the lake). The failed one was a Carter 3016B
3. Bought 1’ of submersible fuel line NAPA #H315, which met the J30R10 spec. ($25 !!!!!). It is 1/4” ID, but can be pushed onto the 5/16” barb on the pump with a little effort. I cut it down to the original 8” length to fit. Gates Rubber item, it is quite flexible.
4. Found Oetiker clamps at Grainger, but all they will sell you is a bag of 100. Wurth Industries has them also. I found some at my motorcycle shop (1 cold beer).
5. Bought the 6-piece fuel line removal tool NAPA #W83148 ($1.99) to keep in the boat toolbox.
6. When tightening the 12 pump-to-tank bolts, I don’t have an inch-pound torque wrench, so I tightened them until the rubber bolt gasket squashed down slightly.

Thanks again, Guys!! This is a fantastic site.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Great feedback!!

Some one should start an online google doc with year, make, model, motor, post change PSI at the fuel rail, and the part number used to replace the pump.