Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-29-2013, 11:19 AM
MC Master Poster

I have a few questions:

-How many of you would attempt this repair on your car or truck?

-Have you thought about why these pump failures happen more often in boats than in cars/trucks, how pump failures in cars and trucks are similar and different from boat pump failures?

-Have you wondered if there's a possible cause, other than calling it a bad design, saying MC is using a bad part or that they're charging too much, so you want to replace it yourselves?

The reason I'm asking this after the pump "issue" has been on-going since they changed to the in-tank pump is that the pump in my van puked a little more than a month ago. It didn't seem to have any major hiccups, didn't become intermittent or do anything that was particularly noticeable beforehand.

However, I do know that cars/trucks have had some common causes for pump failures including running out of gas, contaminated gas and having bad terminals on the the harness at the pump.

I don't know that any bad gas was put in the tank and the plug didn't look bad when it was replaced, but I was guilty of running the tank low, which resulted in the pump eventually becoming louder. The louder it became and as the miles stacked up (it was at about 116K, so it was in the failure window), the more I expected it to fail. It didn't quit while I was driving, though. Like so many others, it worked fine and then, when I tried to start it, it didn't.

My points- don't mess with cobbling together any fittings/connections for the fuel lines. EVER! This system is higher pressure than the Coast Guard will allow hose clamps to be used.

The CG didn't even want in-tank pumps in the first place, but they still require the tank to be vented. This is a major key in this issue- if the tank was sealed, I truly doubt we would see more than a fraction of the pump failures. Is the gas different from what cars & trucks use? No, it's not. Is a boat's fuel tank vulnerable to damage from impact? Somewhat, but I haven't seen many boats that exploded because of crashing, although I'm sure it happens. If metal tanks were used and they implemented a vapor recovery system like what's used on cars/trucks, I'm pretty sure we would see far fewer fuel pump failures. Then, the biggest culprit would be the Ethanol and other crap the EPA mandates that we put up with in our gas.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 MC Prostar 190, 310 Predator Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
By "gas line", do you mean the orange one? The line itself is Teflon, with a fiberglass sleeve, stainless braid, fiberglass sleeve and another stainless braid before the orange fire-resistant jacket.
Nope - I mean the line between the pump and the regulator. I assume that it gets brittle over time and thus the reason why I had to use snips to cut the line on both ends.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWSC View Post
Nope - I mean the line between the pump and the regulator. I assume that it gets brittle over time and thus the reason why I had to use snips to cut the line on both ends.
We can thank the EPA and Ethanol for that. If it was only gasoline, this wouldn't have happened for another 5-10 years. I have a friend with a late-'70s Carver 33' (he had two, but sold one last week) and he only recently had to replace any of his fuel lines.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I've replace the intank fuel pump in my suburban. I didn't do it because it was going bad but because I needed more volume for the GMPP 383 I installed. The old 350 pump would not handle the flow rate the bigger injectors needed.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I've replace the intank fuel pump in my suburban. I didn't do it because it was going bad but because I needed more volume for the GMPP 383 I installed. The old 350 pump would not handle the flow rate the bigger injectors needed.
I probably would have changed my own if I had a lift, but....
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Decided to go ahead and change the fuel pump as insurance and to eliminate my high rpm stutter. Have ordered a Walbro GSS340 as it looks like it will fit and it is available localy for about AU$100. Will let you know if it fits and how it works. Also going to get a new in tank fuel hose and get rid of the old hard thin black plastic pipe.

PS if anyone has experience with this pump let me know before I hand over the cash tomorrow... but I am sure it will work.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Decided to go ahead and change the fuel pump as insurance and to eliminate my high rpm stutter. Have ordered a Walbro GSS340 as it looks like it will fit and it is available localy for about AU$100. Will let you know if it fits and how it works. Also going to get a new in tank fuel hose and get rid of the old hard thin black plastic pipe.

PS if anyone has experience with this pump let me know before I hand over the cash tomorrow... but I am sure it will work.
You will want to know its pressure AND flow rate. Some pumps are made to deliver a specific pressure range, some for flow rate and some can do both.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Hi Jim

Specs show pump is rated at 73 gal/ hr at 30 psi (TBI Spec is 30psi) Free flow rate is 85 gal/ hr and max operating pressure is 120psi.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: x 15
I have read all the info on this subject..very good info!! my question is I have a 2007 x-15, and I am having a lot of trouble getting my engine to start. I have replaced the fuel pump with a airtech as suggested on 1 of the forums. The boat started but not without the aid of a spray of easy start to the carb. So I went to a boat dealership and asked the mechanic for his thoughts what could be the problem and he told me the fuel pump..so I bought a pump from him that he said he has used in a few mastercrafts and never had a prob. Well needless to say I have so I am back to square 1..this is what happens when you spray the easy start into carb it fires up and runs no probs, leave it for an hour and it will not start with out the aid of the spray...any ideas on what the prob could be would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mastercraft View Post
I have read all the info on this subject..very good info!! my question is I have a 2007 x-15, and I am having a lot of trouble getting my engine to start. I have replaced the fuel pump with a airtech as suggested on 1 of the forums. The boat started but not without the aid of a spray of easy start to the carb. So I went to a boat dealership and asked the mechanic for his thoughts what could be the problem and he told me the fuel pump..so I bought a pump from him that he said he has used in a few mastercrafts and never had a prob. Well needless to say I have so I am back to square 1..this is what happens when you spray the easy start into carb it fires up and runs no probs, leave it for an hour and it will not start with out the aid of the spray...any ideas on what the prob could be would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Open the throttle and see if it starts easier. This isn't like a carbureted engine that ran out of gas and you used gas or starting fluid to get it to run just so you could fill the bowl- it doesn't matter to the pump, ECM, relays or the rest that you got it to run, it still won't get gas to the engine any better.