Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
when we used a 2044 ... we got 60 psi at the rail ... probably due to the regulator ... our first 2044 lost pressure when the pump shut off ... the 2nd pump we tried help pressure better.

I suspect that the internal hose connections are very important, as is how well the pump is mated to the bottom area where it sits .... if that connection is tighter it may prevent "leak down" I don't know for sure .... but it feels that way to me ... I also believe that the 2044 has an internal check valve? (I have not ever torn a 2044 apart) so I don't know what role that would have after the power is stopped in holding pressure.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
Just had my 2006 X2 MCX engine die as I was coasting into the lift last Friday. It wouldn't fire back up, so swam her in and the weekend was shot. She had died 2x before a couple weeks back; once at idle, the other at about 5 mph, but both times she fired right back up. Then we went several hours without issue.

Here are the facts I've gathered up:
- Don't hear the same high pitched wine I've been used to after a key turn, but I do "feel" movement in the regulator upon key turn and during attempts to start
- Hit the shrader (sp?) value and nothing but a small puff of air came out.
- Took off the air filter, gently pushed open the flap and sprayed in carb cleaner in for a couple seconds and she fired right up for a second, thus I knew it wasn't an ignition issue but a fuel issue

Based the above I'm assuming its the pump. Then I called the local dealer to find out it $5-600 for the part alone and they "hope" for stock in 2-3 weeks! Not cool.

So after trying to put together my plan B, I have the following questions after reading several forum threads:
1. I found a Carter CBG 98-002-3 and 71-342S on eBay for $270, but I'd have to have it shipped and it is sold as. Concerned I get a lemon and don't want to wait, thoughts?
2. I see several part #s used on the MCX, like the cost, and the fact that I can get it now, which one do I need?
  • a. E2044
  • b. E2065
  • (the above 2 are from autozone, what is the difference, both are rated with a max 90-100 psi, isn't that too high?)
  • c. Napa P74118 (60 PSI)
  • d. AC Delco EP 356
3. Do I need to replace the big gasket?
4. Filter as well?

PS. Why is the air filter SO hard to take off, there has to be an easier way?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195, LTR 330 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleE View Post
Just had my 2006 X2 MCX engine die as I was coasting into the lift last Friday. It wouldn't fire back up, so swam her in and the weekend was shot. She had died 2x before a couple weeks back; once at idle, the other at about 5 mph, but both times she fired right back up. Then we went several hours without issue.

Here are the facts I've gathered up:
- Don't hear the same high pitched wine I've been used to after a key turn, but I do "feel" movement in the regulator upon key turn and during attempts to start
- Hit the shrader (sp?) value and nothing but a small puff of air came out.
- Took off the air filter, gently pushed open the flap and sprayed in carb cleaner in for a couple seconds and she fired right up for a second, thus I knew it wasn't an ignition issue but a fuel issue

Based the above I'm assuming its the pump. Then I called the local dealer to find out it $5-600 for the part alone and they "hope" for stock in 2-3 weeks! Not cool.

So after trying to put together my plan B, I have the following questions after reading several forum threads:
1. I found a Carter CBG 98-002-3 and 71-342S on eBay for $270, but I'd have to have it shipped and it is sold as. Concerned I get a lemon and don't want to wait, thoughts?
2. I see several part #s used on the MCX, like the cost, and the fact that I can get it now, which one do I need?
  • a. E2044
  • b. E2065
  • (the above 2 are from autozone, what is the difference, both are rated with a max 90-100 psi, isn't that too high?)
  • c. Napa P74118 (60 PSI)
  • d. AC Delco EP 356
3. Do I need to replace the big gasket?
4. Filter as well?

PS. Why is the air filter SO hard to take off, there has to be an easier way?
Have you tried wiggling the connector to the fuel pump? I had the same issue and it was one of the wires to the fuel pump connector. I have a 2000 prostar 195 and the wires to the fuel pump are cramped in the back of the boat. I found that one of the wires had broken inside its jacket because of the bend in the wire and the years of it bending from driving the boat thru choppy water.
I did buy a back up fuel pump to rebuild it if the pump craps out. So far so good.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I used the Delco for my 07 RTP. Should be the sane one for your MCX. I've read that the NAPA is just as good and you should be able to get it locally within a day.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I used the Delco for my 07 RTP. Should be the sane one for your MCX. I've read that the NAPA is just as good and you should be able to get it locally within a day.
do you know which model you used? I have a complete fuel pump assy with of course the dead pump and would like to rebuild to have a back up for when the newer one my mc dealer installed fails!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
I did pull the connector and reinstalled it twice, just to make sure. But because I'm getting some vibration when the key is turned I'm thinking all electrical is good?

Just called a couple local shops and found the Airtex E2044 for $70, the Napa P74118 for $90, can't find the AC Deloco EP356 anywhere. I've found out the regulator should do just that and regulate the psi down to 60 or whatever, so I'm assuming they all would work? Knowing someone else put the Airtex E2044 in my exact 2006 MCX and I can get it tomorrow, leans me toward it.

Do I bother trying to replace the filter and gasket? I wouldn't hesitate, but they are about 1 hour drive away.

How about the clamp(s) on the hose attached to the pump, never used one like that before? Are they 1 time use? Do I need a special tool?

Anything else special I need before I head to lake to change it out?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Quote:
Do I bother trying to replace the filter and gasket? I wouldn't hesitate, but they are about 1 hour drive away.
If you have a new filter/gasket, use them, but if all you have for now is the old ones and if they're clean I would go ahead and use them.

Quote:
How about the clamp(s) on the hose attached to the pump, never used one like that before? Are they 1 time use? Do I need a special tool?

I disconnected the batteries before I messed with the pump.

Those clamps are one-time use, at least they were when I got done with them! I jammed a screwdriver into the loop to loosen it up. Be careful not to bung up the hose. Also, I would only disconnect the end connected to the pump and leave the end connected to the regulator alone. Go to the auto parts store and get a stainless hose clamp for the new pump connection.

I would also bring something like a piece of aluminum to cover the hole in the gas tank while you're working on the module..it's a big hole begging for stuff to fall in and for fumes to get out. I used a 5 gallon bucket to lift the module out of the boat. When you pull it out of the tank it will probably have a half gallon of gas in it. Putting it into the bucket allowed me to get it out of the boat without spilling gas all over the inside.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC 2006 XSTAR, MCX VRS 350HP
Quote:
I did pull the connector and reinstalled it twice, just to make sure. But because I'm getting some vibration when the key is turned I'm thinking all electrical is good?

Just called a couple local shops and found the Airtex E2044 for $70, the Napa P74118 for $90, can't find the AC Deloco EP356 anywhere. I've found out the regulator should do just that and regulate the psi down to 60 or whatever, so I'm assuming they all would work? Knowing someone else put the Airtex E2044 in my exact 2006 MCX and I can get it tomorrow, leans me toward it.

Yes, I would replace the gasket and filter. I carefully removed the clamp off the old pump an used one of the clamps that came with the new pump. Read the many posts above for details...like don't forget the disconnect tool for the fuel line.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
Replaced mine ('06 X30) with the 2044 a couple weeks ago and I am seeing the same issue with hard starting after sitting a while - don't know what the pressure is as I have not checked it, but first time off the trailer and after sitting for lunch it is hard to start. It fires right up after changing skiers.
???
Update:
I went to O'Reilly and rented a pressure gauge ($117, fully refundable if returned within 48 hrs.). Pressure at the rail is right on at 58 PSI at "key on" but then IMMEDIATELY starts dropping - fast. Only thing I can figure is a bad hose connection at either the pump or the regulator. Weird thing is that I didn't even monkey with the original clamp at the regulator and I actually installed two clamps at the pump barb because I had read where some people had trouble due to a bad connection there. Maybe I damaged the hose without noticing?
Could it be a problem with the pump? I'm assuming the pumps must have a built in "check valve" which would maintain the pressure after powering off? I have a "cadaver" hose out of a dead pump module I got from the local MC dealer but didn't use it because mine turned out to be the flexible, corrugated type already - although it is black and the "cadaver" hose is the white/clear variety I have seen in the newer modules and in this thread. Should I swap out the hose for the white/clear one? Was a reliable source ever found for the flexible, corrugated hoses? Thanks for the input.

And thanks to all those "pioneers" who have gone before to figure out all the details of this pump replacement. Had it not been for them and this thread, I would have had a spoiled five day trip to Lake Powell - camping 40 miles from the marina. Fortunately I was prepared with my pump replacement kit in the glove box! You should have seen the look on my Tige' buddy's face when I got back to camp (being towed by a Four Winns) and told him my fuel pump was shot - and even better was when I told him it was no big deal because I had a spare! "You carry a spare fuel pump?" "Of course! - Don't you?"
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-9; LQ9
There was a source for the corrugated fuel hose mentioned in another post in one of the fuel pump threads - http://autoperformanceengineering.co....html#flexhose. Here is a link to another source also. http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...Fuel-Hose.aspx