Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-Star PWT 2009 & ProStar 190 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsprostar View Post
How did you ever cross reference that pump!?
Hmmmm... I went into a car accessories shop in SalÚ, Italy (I stay here usually in summer) and tried to find a similar fuel pump in their cataloque.

Quote:
WHat is the GPH? or LPH?
Honestly: I don't know. But I can't feel a difference in operating, performance or consumption. And last not least: my V8 doesn't sound like a Fiat

Last edited by PeterN; 08-22-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X2 & lewis,supreme,285,indmar
GPH = gallons per hour
LPH = litres per hour

it is a very important thing for a engine as starving it of fuel by way of pressure or flow will cause detonation and ultimately engine failure.
Be very careful PeterN.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Also, a high pressure pump won't necessarily push high volume and vise-versa.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1/10th share in 2005 X2 and 2008 190
Angry

Thank you for taking on the mantel of 'MC fuel pumps ain't great', ours ran out of warantee a while ago and now is an expensive habit.

This is highly interesting seeing as our 2005 X2 averages 400 - 600 hours before burning out another fuel pump because apparently some of our less attentive club drivers are 'naughty' and let the fuel level drop below 1/4 tank..............

If that were really true of "fuel pumps'' my 400 000 mile Volvo estate would have had a lot of fuel pumps as I do not fill up until almost empty.

If someone really gets to the bottom of this, I would love to know so that we can re-enter the discussion with Mastercraft Great Britain without having to use rude words.
As a Process Engineer in the oil industry that designs the plants that provide the gas/petrol/lpg that runs our boats, being fobbed off "you do not know what you are talking about" is irksome.

I am not posting this in a derogatroy manner - but as a statement of fact that I as a dedicate multi-mastercraft owner believe the firm should be taking in hand and resolving to ensure its status as number one.

Last edited by woody; 08-22-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: see last paragraph
Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1/10th share in 2005 X2 and 2008 190
LPH versus GHP, err there's around 4.54 litres per gallon, erm if that's an imperaial gallon, but as we're an american site it's around 3.5 litres per american gallon I think.

Reason for the difference in between imperail and american gallons is something to do with a tea party in boston perhaps....maybe my elders and betters can correct me.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 PM
MC Master Poster

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."
Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-Star PWT 2009 & ProStar 190 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister_designs View Post
GPH = gallons per hour
LPH = litres per hour

it is a very important thing for a engine as starving it of fuel by way of pressure or flow will cause detonation and ultimately engine failure.
Be very careful PeterN.

Hmmmm??? If the pressure is right, in corollary the flow must be right as well. I checked the pressure on this little valve and it had constantly between 3.8 and 3.9 bar (55 PSI) - no matter what rpm or load.

I'll try to find out the flow rate of the MEAT & DORIA pump. What are the GPH/LPH specs for the L-18 ?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 MCX
Well, I haven't had the time to return to the Federated shop since I got busy with work and "think" I might of fractured a few ribs wakeboarding 3 weeks ago (yeah, it still hurts).

I forgot to ask this guy at Federated about the small disk at the bottom of the module. Does anyone know why it is there? The flow of gas into the bottom portion of the module was definitely restricted by this disk. The module had to be submersed deeper in gas before gas would flow into the area that supplies the pump.

Despite being sidetracked, I will do my best to get us some good information and maybe a fix.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
MC Master Poster

It shouldn't restrict- it's like a check valve that lifts when gas flows into the pump and drops down when the gas tries to flow out again.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Woody- "Apologies any accidental use of sarcasm, cynicism or confusion."

Oy! What's that supposed to mean?