Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
I would skip that part...
Just torque reasonably so to not break the bolt.
Quite possible the worst advise I have ever seen here. We're talking about the fuel cell here.

That is the last thing I would recommend on something so critical as the fuel pump housing bolts.

As posted, there is a guy that was missing two bolts for what ever reason, too loose, too tight, whatever. Now his boat is burned up.

A torque wrench is extremely cheap insurance when compared to the possibilities of what could happen.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushyCreekXS View Post
Also, I guess I need to buy a torque wrench of some sort to be able to tighten the 12 bolts back correctly....
Yes you should. You could probably borrow an inch foot lb wrench from any of the local auto parts stores.

NOTE: the 12 bolts that mount the pump to the tank should be torque to 49 inch pounds (thanks JimN for the info).
Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
thanks for the torque specs. i'll check mine asap.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
thanks for the torque specs. i'll check mine asap.
Thank JimN for looking it up in his service manual and the OP for posting it. Great info for everyone.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Quite possible the worst advise I have ever seen here. We're talking about the fuel cell here.

That is the last thing I would recommend on something so critical as the fuel pump housing bolts.

As posted, there is a guy that was missing two bolts for what ever reason, too loose, too tight, whatever. Now his boat is burned up.

A torque wrench is extremely cheap insurance when compared to the possibilities of what could happen.
Your opinion.
Maybe if you re not use to working with tools.I ve been fixing things forever and restore pinballs machines for a hobby.I know when tight.
But ,yes for peace of mind go ahead and buy one and torque to specs.
Don t know how many peoples have done the fuel pump job with one but it s not a must IMHO if you know how to work.

Missing bolts and torquing are 2 different things.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

I've been working on cars, motorcycles, and just about anything else you can think of for 35 years, but I still do not have a torque calibrated arm. With your time under a wrench you might get away with it and some people on here I'm sure have as well. But why risk such a catastrophic failure?

Over torque bolts = stripped threads broken bolts, under torque bolts = too loose both of which can lead to missing bolts. The user with the missing bolts and fire could very well have both those bolts in the bilge. Who knows?

Sure there are lots of things I just tighten down to what feels good to me, but in this case, fuel cells, I wouldn't trust myself nor would I recommend it to someone else.

So, teaching best practices is probably the best policy here. If someone decides they want to use that calibrated arm then so be it.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
I've been working on cars, motorcycles, and just about anything else you can think of for 35 years, but I still do not have a torque calibrated arm. With your time under a wrench you might get away with it and some people on here I'm sure have as well. But why risk such a catastrophic failure?

Over torque bolts = stripped threads broken bolts, under torque bolts = too loose both of which can lead to missing bolts. The user with the missing bolts and fire could very well have both those bolts in the bilge. Who knows?

Sure there are lots of things I just tighten down to what feels good to me, but in this case, fuel cells, I wouldn't trust myself nor would I recommend it to someone else.

So, teaching best practices is probably the best policy here. If someone decides they want to use that calibrated arm then so be it.
Agree.I shouldn t have recommend that.What is fine for me maybe not for someone else.
Shipping would kill me or i d send you this one.
It s a Mastercraft!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Fuel Pump 101

Another workable option....for fuel pump and raw water pump cover bolts

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grad...iko+inch+pound
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC 2006 XSTAR, MCX VRS 350HP
Quote:
Yes you should. You could probably borrow an inch foot lb wrench from any of the local auto parts stores.

NOTE: the 12 bolts that mount the pump to the tank should be torque to 49 inch pounds (thanks JimN for the info).
Guys, I have everything I need except a torque wrench. I planned to drive down in the morning and get the job done. Problem I have is I looked everywhere and only found 2 torque wrenches locally that go down low enough for the spec. Which, by the way, is 49 in-lbs in this reference and 45 in-lbs in boofer's, not sure which is correct. Of the two I found, the Craftsman was 25-250 in-lb which I liked, but it is huge...so long that it may not be usable in the space. The other was a husky at Home Depot and was a better size, but only went 40-200 for range and it makes me suspicious that it would be accurate at that close to its low end range? Sure hate stressing on this. Any ideas?

Thx.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Of the two I found, the Craftsman was 25-250 in-lb which I liked, but it is huge...so long that it may not be usable in the space

You sure that wasn't a ft/lb model? They are usually only 12" long