Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-25-2012, 01:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X-9
After checking codes on my '02 X-9 I found that the TPS sensor was faulty. After replacing that the boat runs great! BUT I'm still having warm start issues, where I have to be at WOT to start the boat. I also had an issue of the boat running at 2500RPM for 30 seconds, then dropping to 1300RPM for a few seconds, then jumping back up to 2500, I related this problem to being at 1/4 tank and the angle of the boat being such that it would slosh the fuel away from the module and when the RPM would drop it would flatten out and refill the fuel module. I'm going to test the fuel pressure tomorrow to see what I get.

Anybody here have issues with the Carter 71-332S pump??
Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMax16 View Post
After checking codes on my '02 X-9 I found that the TPS sensor was faulty. After replacing that the boat runs great! BUT I'm still having warm start issues, where I have to be at WOT to start the boat. I also had an issue of the boat running at 2500RPM for 30 seconds, then dropping to 1300RPM for a few seconds, then jumping back up to 2500, I related this problem to being at 1/4 tank and the angle of the boat being such that it would slosh the fuel away from the module and when the RPM would drop it would flatten out and refill the fuel module. I'm going to test the fuel pressure tomorrow to see what I get.

Anybody here have issues with the Carter 71-332S pump??
If you have to be at WOT to start, it's not your pump. The ECM is programmed to not deliver any fuel at WOT while cranking and it knows the engine is cranking (as opposed to being in Run Mode) because of the RPM- <300 RPM is Crank Mode and >300 RPM is Run Mode.

The RPM issues make it seem like an IAC problem, not a sensor. If the pump is beong starved, the impeller will fail, the ECM won't raise the RPM to make it run better. What angle is the boat when this happens and why is it at an angle- when you're putting it in or taking it out of the water?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-9
Tested fuel pressure today. 40psi at the rail before start and while running.

The warm start issue I have is while lying flat in the water.

The other issue I was describing is separate from the warm start... this issue I have while the boat is in the water and running at 2500RPM and 10MPH, and the bow is way up in the air. After I topped off the tank the RPM dropping issue went away. Which is making me think I need to replace the fuel filter, because a full tank bypasses the filter?

Checked the IAC, seems to adjust fine. Tested it turning the key on, and it seems to move back and forth easily.

Last edited by JLMax16; 08-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
You may have water in your tank if the bow is up the water which is heavier than gas will move to the rear of the tank and to the pump. Try to get a fuel sample with the bow as high as you can get it maybe on the trailer with the front jacked up on a block or something. Also be sure your flame arrestor is clean.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Did anyone get a measurement on the flexi hose?

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...html/kits.html

They have 3 different lengths available.

edit

For $15 I just ordered all 3 of them.

/edit
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Did anyone get a measurement on the flexi hose?

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...html/kits.html

They have 3 different lengths available.

edit

For $15 I just ordered all 3 of them.

/edit
I had a leak where the regulator attaches to the top of the fuel pump assembly where the gasket seals it as it passes through the top plate. Since I knew my extended warranty was going to replace the whole assembly I decided to remove it and examine the components.

The fuel line in mine was 9 inches.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209
I have a 2002 Prostar 209 (509 hrs). I am having occasional engine cutouts (never stalls completely) and suspect the fuel pump after reading these forums. At the end of last season I tried to squeeze one last run in and ran out of gas. I cut the engine off immediately but suspect the damage was already done. I have ordered the Airtex E2065 and plan on doing a pre-emptive replacement in a couple of weeks.

This thread is great and I appreciate all the information here! Anything else I should be thinking about that I am not? I won't be going below 1/4 tank anymore :}
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I had a leak where the regulator attaches to the top of the fuel pump assembly where the gasket seals it as it passes through the top plate. Since I knew my extended warranty was going to replace the whole assembly I decided to remove it and examine the components.

The fuel line in mine was 9 inches.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 205V, 2000
OK, I have a 2000 -- 205V with approx. 500 hours. This past weekend I experienced the first issue with my fuel pump. This was the first outing of 2013... The boat cranked like a champ on the trailer and I had one of the guys idle around the cove while I pulled the trailer out. By the time I got back to the lake, the boat had died and would not re-cank. I pulled the boat out and on the way home I dropped it off with my mechanic. It cranked the first time for him and then died with no re-start. It would do the same after waiting several hours. He hooked the pump directly to a battery and it pumped like a champ. He made a call to Rambo in Birmingham, and talked to their guru (Les??) and he said that we would need to replace a "collar" that goes around the pump. Per Rambo this seemed to fix 95% of similar issues.

Anyone know WTH he is talking about?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 205V, 2000
bump...