Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
butter cutter

Fuel Pump Problems

I have read all this post and and a few others. I had my fuel pump act up this past Monday. I've got a 2005 TT 197. After reading the post I wrote down all the fuel pump part numbers and off to the parts store I went. While at the parts store looking at the fuel pumps the PSI output on all the pumps referenced in this post their output was anywhere from 80 to 95 PSI. From talking to a couple different Mastercraft mechanics they stated that this was to much pressure. I would to hear from other Mastercraft owners that have installed these pumps on their boats to see if installing a higher PSI pump has caused any other motor problems (blown o rings, put to much fuel into the cylinder and scorched the piston, etc.)? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter cutter View Post
I have read all this post and and a few others. I had my fuel pump act up this past Monday. I've got a 2005 TT 197. After reading the post I wrote down all the fuel pump part numbers and off to the parts store I went. While at the parts store looking at the fuel pumps the PSI output on all the pumps referenced in this post their output was anywhere from 80 to 95 PSI. From talking to a couple different Mastercraft mechanics they stated that this was to much pressure. I would to hear from other Mastercraft owners that have installed these pumps on their boats to see if installing a higher PSI pump has caused any other motor problems (blown o rings, put to much fuel into the cylinder and scorched the piston, etc.)? Thanks for the help!
curious what other people reply, but the role of the pressure regulator is to help conform the the pressure to something that works for the injectors/fuel rail etc.

Most fuel injection fuel pumps that are in tank (even going back to Bosch CIS) systems would create "too much" pressure which was controlled via a fuel pressure regulator.

80-95 sounds like it is within spec, but someone more knowledgeable than me may answer.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM
roybrown

Did anyone ever figure out what pump could be used to replace the bad one without buying the entire unit? My X45 went dead in the water last weekend after about 10 minutes on the water. Made for a real crappy memorial day weekend. I ordered a new pump but would like to see if I can fix the one I have so there is a spare later on down the road.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 PS 197
another issue with the fuel pump

great thread. I have had a few recurring issues with my fuel system. LQ9 engine. First a problem was the fuel pump would not go on, turned out the relay was bad, next the relays kept burning out, turned out the relay harness was bad, now i finally burned out the pump, of course on the holiday weekend, on a sunday of course. Well, a buddy of mine had a fuel pump from his 02 nautique, same as the one in the unit now. Replaced the pump only, took about 20 minutes, reused the plastic hose, i used some small plastic hose clamps. Boat ran fine for @ week or so, then the relay harness failed again. Got a paper clip to bend the tab in the harness, so that it would make good contact, and im running again.
My next task is to get a spare pump and hose, and then replace the harness plug that continually fails. Love the boat '04 197, hate the little problems that reoccur.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybrown View Post
Did anyone ever figure out what pump could be used to replace the bad one without buying the entire unit? My X45 went dead in the water last weekend after about 10 minutes on the water. Made for a real crappy memorial day weekend. I ordered a new pump but would like to see if I can fix the one I have so there is a spare later on down the road.

Any suggestions would be great.
??? Look in this thread. Several part numbers from different manufacturers.

Here a previous post, in this thread, with a part number and supplier. On sale too!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=107
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
??? Look in this thread. Several part numbers from different manufacturers.

Here a previous post, in this thread, with a part number and supplier. On sale too!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=107

Think it would work in a 06 X2?

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
From what I've read, it doesn't sound like MC has changed the in-tank module aside from the fuel line since it was introduced, so I would think it fits.

Hopefully someone knows for sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
From what I've read, it doesn't sound like MC has changed the in-tank module aside from the fuel line since it was introduced, so I would think it fits.

Hopefully someone knows for sure.
I guess for the price it's not too much of a loss if it doesn't.

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM
marvinhogan

Thanks for posting this information. I replace my fuel pump after reading this. It was easy. BTW, the Napa number is below. Aslo the fuel line disconnect tool can be purchased at Napa.

Fuel pump replacement number Napa P74118 (60 PSI) $120.

Mastercraft 2006 X30
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2006, MCX
Send a message via MSN to bran7869
I replaced my pump with the airtech pump. When I took it out, it took a few seconds for it to crank while turning it over but I thought that would be normal for the system to prime up. Once it started it ran perfectly but now when I turn the boat off the fuel system is not holding its pressure. So every time I turn the boat off then try to crank it back up it takes sometimes 4-5 min to get it to start. I never had this problem before hand. I'm assuming I have a bad check valve somewhere allowing the system to loose pressure when the key is turned off. Does anyone know if the pump itself has a check-valve in it or is it in the regulator on the module? Again, I never had this problem before I lost the fuel pump so I'm assuming maybe I got a faulty fuel pump.

2006 X-Star