Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-30 5.7L MCX
Lightbulb It's Not the Fuel Pump...

I bought a 2004 X30 MCX and love it about May 15th. Coming from a 19 ft stern drive it's a dream. ~450 hours and almost perfect upholstry and fiberglass (see pic).

My wife took her to a week long girls camp and was just pulling tubers (not to be confused with potatoes), and said at one point she couldn't get the boat above 13 mph even at WOT. I had experienced it a week earlier but it was more like the throttle cable wasn't pulling. However after a few seconds the throttle would catch up and work normally without me even touching it.

All this variation led me to think, here's the fuel pump issue everyone has been so good to document here. With a week at Lake Powell coming up I wasn't going to risk it. I bought a 2044 and threw it in my supply box.

Needless to say Lake Powell is as close to heaven as anywhere on earth to me. Things ran great but I found some consistency to this hiccup. Whenever we would start a pull (wakeboard, surfing, kneeboarding, tube), the engine would feel burdened and was loud like it was lugging along. I had to give it more throttle than expected to get people up. (It was probably good for my 11 year old daughter so I didn't rip her shoulders out.).

After 3-30 seconds, the engine would hit its sweet spot. The lugging would would go quiet and would be replaced by that smooth humming of the V-drive (I think that's where the hum comes from.)

Not a big deal except for the surge in power. If the Perfect Pass was already engaged it had to settle back in. When I made a sweet jump followed by a spectacular spill, it would start all over again whether we stopped the engine or not.

I thought, "we seem to be getting gas at the engine but maybe it's starving for the first few seconds." So while my dear wife made dinner at the campsite, I swapped fuel pumps. (45 minutes thanks to your help.) Funny enough, I pulled out a 2065 and put in the 2044. The PO must have had some experience on TT.

We went out that evening to catch some glass but sadly still behaved the same. (I think the 2044 was a bit better than the 2065, but it was probably just placebo.) I'll keep the 2065 as my "new" backup.

Knowing it's not a fuel pump issue, I'm looking for some help. Plug, injector, newbie to V-drives?

The good news is it did not affect our trip to Powell. We learned to surf and that not all fat sac placements are the same.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Didn't read your post yet, but your user name threw me off for a minute! I thought Cam bought an X30!!
Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Your fuel is probably fine but just to be sure did you put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to check it was around 60psi? My bet is it's with the ignition system. What does your cap, rotor, wires and plugs look like?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
did you put a new fuel filter on? Ethanol will gloss over the element and restrict fuel flow.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-30 5.7L MCX
Sorry about the username. All my close friends and in-laws call me by the first half of my last name. I thought I spelled it wrong when I registered and messed something up when I first saw "Sodar." Is he down there in Tide country with you? I spent a couple years down there and couldn't stand the humidity but LOVED the people! I hope I haven't confused too many.

Again, thanks to TT, I did have a fuel gauge with me and everything ran at ~60 psi at all times except for when cranking when it fluctuated wildly as expected. When I turned the boat off, the PSI dropped from ~60 to ~20 PSI after about 10 minutes with both pumps.

I did not put a new fuel filter on. I'm pretty sure the PO did that last fall when he had it winterized, but for how cheap and easy they are to change, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions about the ignition system. I pulled the plug wires off the cap and everything looked clean and no signs of corrosion or burns. I'll dig further into the system when I have time and will post back what I find.

In the mean time, I'm still open to suggestions on what could cause this inconvenience in performance.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Could it be over-propped?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would also check all fuel pickup - to make sure to make sure no air is getting in. How do the plugs look ?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Did it have the clear corrugated hose from the pump to top of cannister? Some with the older style black ones (non corrugated) have experienced kinking of the line restricting fuel.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:05 AM

Boat: 40th Anniversary X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Didn't read your post yet, but your user name threw me off for a minute! I thought Cam bought an X30!!
Had me scratching my head after the long weekend too.

'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1 (For Sale)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
^^that was my thought also!