Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
1992 Prostar cracked Gt40 head.

Noticed this when i winterized but refused to believe at the time. I have sourced a 96 explorer head, from autozone, shows to be gt40, any reason i shouldn't use this? Also this is my first ford inboard ive worked on, always been a gm person, i noticed a type of sealant on the exhaust manifold gasket, anyone use this? Due to my budget i'm just going to replace one head, I'm sure i'll be told to do both but the boat has been extremely maintained and i dont think it will be an issue but I'm open to debate. Any and all help is appreciated, love this site, and any links are appreciated, thanks again!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts205 View Post
Noticed this when i winterized but refused to believe at the time. I have sourced a 96 explorer head, from autozone, shows to be gt40, any reason i shouldn't use this? Also this is my first ford inboard ive worked on, always been a gm person, i noticed a type of sealant on the exhaust manifold gasket, anyone use this? Due to my budget i'm just going to replace one head, I'm sure i'll be told to do both but the boat has been extremely maintained and i dont think it will be an issue but I'm open to debate. Any and all help is appreciated, love this site, and any links are appreciated, thanks again!
Does you boat. already have GT 40 heads? If not, you'll have to replace both. Smart money would replace both, because your intake manifold will be off. Did you call an auto machine shop? You might be able to get two, for the price of one at autozone.

Indmar uses RTV for gaskets. Paper style exhaust gaskets, won't last very long. There are marine grade gaskets available, but RTV works. Follow directions, torque the bolts correctly.

2004 red/white/black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts205 View Post
if casting number is the same, then your fine using a replacement head, just ensure the valves haven't been resized and are the same as original.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Since you have time, I would remove the other good head and give it a very close inspection. Then I would replace the valve stem seals, lap the valves to restore sealing, and reinstall with new gasket. Idea here is with one head begin fresh and will have higher compression, it might run a little rough due to power imbalance.

If it was in the middle of summer, I would just replace the one head.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Thanks for the quick response. It does have gt40 heads on it. Autozone seems to be the cheapest i've found so far for around 300$ assuming they are standard gt40s and not gt40p. So i shouldn't use gaskets on exhaust manifold? I see sdim has them, seem to be standard auto type. I could see a possible imbalance if the new head has been shaved more than .010 but i'm unsure if it warrants changing both, just working on limited budget, waiting on replies from firstmatemarine and tristatecylinderhead on quotes, will call some machine shops today to see if i can get a good price on 2 but kinda doubt it, thanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Shaving it gets you more compression.

So does having a better sealing valves.

This where the imbalance comes from. Im not saying you will have a noticable imbalance, just where you might see one, depeending ont he state of things.

Good for you for being able to only replace one head and feeling comfortbale inside that you did a "good enough" job. Me? No. I would refresh the old one. Then I would decide since I have it apart I should atleast port match everything. Grinder is running, everythign is getting dirty....might asweel deshroud the valves. Ive gone this far, might aswell just clean up the porting inside the heads too. Who knows when everything would get back together. Exactly why my other half wont let me touch the engine on this toy.

I already have much of the boat apart becase "while im in here, I might aswell..." and I didnt even touch the engine. Ah well, maybe next season I can remove the top-end and freshen it up hahaha

Its a sickness

Last edited by Roman; 04-24-2015 at 01:36 PM.