Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 master craft stars and stripes
Rubber exhaust splice?

Is there a way or a method of making the rubber exhaust longer? I just need about 1 foot longer than I have for my new exhaust manifolds. Can I use pvc pipe to extend it?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
People have, it doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings though. The temperature rating of PVC is pretty low relative to exhaust gas and engine temp. People have run pvc for years trouble free though. When i ditched my mufflers I bought 3" stainless steel and cut 7" pieces to slide into exhaust hose and get a good surface to clamp on. I just bought 4' of exhaust hose and made splices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

That's what I want to do, cut splice and extend about a foot. Got any pics? I hear you on the pvc, heard lots of people do it but I don't feel good about it either.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

3" stainless exhaust pipe. I used a sawzall to cut 7" pieces. I filed down the rough edges and slid 3.5" into the existing stretch to the exhaust flaps and double hose clamped it, slid my new splice on the other 3.5" and double clamped. The problem with the stupid fiberglass mufflers is you crack them when you over tighten and too loose you pump water into the bilge. I said to hell with that and have 3" exhaust hose from risers to exhaust flanges.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Nice job, how dose it sound straight out the back? I'm just thinking I have to have some of the pipe exposed I wonder if exhaust wrap would work as I need mine a foot longer and that stuff isn't cheap!!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

It seemed to make very little difference in sound. It has also been over a year since I had the boat on the water. I got tired of chasing down the small issues one at a time and tore the boat down for a rebuild.

Exhaust wrap may work but I don't know how effective it is wet. I see it being like a rag, decent heat insulator dry but wet looses all R value. Exhaust hose is not cheap but there are reasons it is used. DNR, USCG etc. would poo bricks if they saw PVC as exhaust tubing. That may or may not matter where you boat, here you stand a good chance for a "safety inspection." I didn't want to drop $20/ ft either but it beats the hell out of worrying about it.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well I'm in canada so I'm not worried about those outfits but the more I think about it I might just buy 5' to make me feel better about it.