Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC pro star 197 2005 MCX
leaking rudder

05 pro star 197 took to factory to get a comp rudder to fix play in steering. Factory put in new comp rudder, play is gone but NOW Water comes in under turning load. Called Mastercraft factory and they sent a new sealed bearing busing. The existing one is good, I think the problem is there is supposed to be a top plastic 3inch washer and a lower one under the boat so I am told and after inspection not there.
Any one have experience with this situation on newer rudder assemblies?
I think Mastercraft should post details( sketches or pics) of simple areas like shaft assemblies and rudder assemblies!
I AM AGGRAVATED THAT I TOOK THE TIME TO TAKE THE BOAT TO THE FACTORY AND STILL NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
There are a couple of different rudder assemblies that MasterCraft uses, apparently. Mine was of the simpler variety as detailed in the photos. Two O rings and a nylon bushing on the top of the port. Any time I've ever had water leaking from the rudder, it stops completely with a couple of shots of grease into the rudder port zerk. With that rudder, leakage is prevented by close tolerance shaft-to-port and the grease. The O rings are primarily to keep that grease in. The nylon bushing has no sealing duty.

I don't know about the other rudder port MC uses, which IIUC has a sort of boot fitting on top. Inside the grey boot at the top is a seal held in place with a snap ring. If yours has this type of rudder port and it's leaking under load (a turn), then very possibly that seal is bad. Or, it may be leaking at the base (where the red line is on the photo).

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
TT Regular

Thanks. Took apart the assembly and now understand the situation. The 2 plastic O rings or washers do hold the grease in (as you said) BUT without them the grease is pushed into the boat under load and therfore water starts to pass thru. You can pump grease in but without top and bottom rings to hold it in, goes all over the bilge!!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
There are a couple of different rudder assemblies that MasterCraft uses, apparently. Mine was of the simpler variety as detailed in the photos. Two O rings and a nylon bushing on the top of the port. Any time I've ever had water leaking from the rudder, it stops completely with a couple of shots of grease into the rudder port zerk. With that rudder, leakage is prevented by close tolerance shaft-to-port and the grease. The O rings are primarily to keep that grease in. The nylon bushing has no sealing duty.

I don't know about the other rudder port MC uses, which IIUC has a sort of boot fitting on top. Inside the grey boot at the top is a seal held in place with a snap ring. If yours has this type of rudder port and it's leaking under load (a turn), then very possibly that seal is bad. Or, it may be leaking at the base (where the red line is on the photo).

Very informative BM, this tutorial with pics was great job
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmargol View Post
Thanks. Took apart the assembly and now understand the situation. The 2 plastic O rings or washers do hold the grease in (as you said) BUT without them the grease is pushed into the boat under load and therfore water starts to pass thru. You can pump grease in but without top and bottom rings to hold it in, goes all over the bilge!!!
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO
Most any hardware store like Ace, True Value have drawers in the plumbing section with all kinds if O rings and just buy a couple pairs of different sizes that fit snug on the rudder shaft, making sure they are of the diameter that will fit in the slot in the rudder port. Be sure to apply some grease to the rudder shaft and inside the rudder port in the o ring area to be sure the shaft doesn't tear the o rings when installing the rudder. You want the right size o ring to assure it fills in the slot completely in the port and makes a good seal against the shaft. You'll catch on when you do it.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Most any hardware store like Ace, True Value have drawers in the plumbing section with all kinds if O rings and just buy a couple pairs of different sizes that fit snug on the rudder shaft, making sure they are of the diameter that will fit in the slot in the rudder port. Be sure to apply some grease to the rudder shaft and inside the rudder port in the o ring area to be sure the shaft doesn't tear the o rings when installing the rudder. You want the right size o ring to assure it fills in the slot completely in the port and makes a good seal against the shaft. You'll catch on when you do it.
Those drawers come in handy on my last boat (mercruiser) I had a tiny o-ring go out in the lower unit and the dealer wanted $140 for the entire gasket/ring kit for that drive and wouldn't sell a single o-ring, I didn't need the entire kit with every gasket and ring, I needed 1 tiny o-ring. Went to HD and was out the door with the ring for .23 cents never leaked again

I also use the drawers for stainless nuts & bolts too
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM
TT Regular

To all the replies
Thanks again for all the help, hope to finally fix this weekend.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Those drawers come in handy on my last boat (mercruiser) I had a tiny o-ring go out in the lower unit and the dealer wanted $140 for the entire gasket/ring kit for that drive and wouldn't sell a single o-ring, I didn't need the entire kit with every gasket and ring, I needed 1 tiny o-ring. Went to HD and was out the door with the ring for .23 cents never leaked again

I also use the drawers for stainless nuts & bolts too

My drawers are full of nuts and a bolt!

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
My drawers are full of nuts and a bolt!
Stailess? because there probably rusted and hard to "get off" if not
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Stailess? because there probably rusted and hard to "get off" if not
Did I say I had nuts and a bolt in my drawers? Sorry, I ment bolts, and a few other pieces and spare parts,
Attachment 39479

Attachment 39480

Last edited by TMCNo1; 10-28-2008 at 07:35 AM.