Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 205 prostar
engine compartment explosion

hello-new here. just purchased 1996 m/c prostar 205 from insurance company; was totaled. had engine compartment explosion. blew open engine cover and scorched back of driver seat, melted complete bilge fan and duct system, melted bilge pump and wiring, and carpet above bilge exhaust fan. tracked down the owner and discussed in length what happened. he said he had just filled up the gas tank; first time it had ever been filled up since he bought it new. always put 5-10 gallons from cans in before. after filling up at gas dock, he turned on bilge fan and walked to ships store with his wife to use restroom. upon returning [10 minutes later]he got in boat and hit ignition switch and boat exploded. blowing open motor cover and caught fire. after jumping in lake from boat; a second explosion blew lower portion of back seat out of boat. gas dock crew blew out fire with extinguisers. i am repairing this boat to keep and want to make sure this does not happen to me. you would assume he did not turn on bilge fan-but he says without doubt he did. as he always did. who knows? i have checked the gas filler and overflow hoses; did not find any problems. he thinks it was related to first time filling tank as having something to do with explosion. i would like to be sure this doesn't happen to me. am replacing everything new. except filler and overflow hoses. any input or thoughts appreciated. thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225VRS
First I hope you got it cheap…as in value of the trailer cheap. I think its suspect that in 19 years the boat was never filled up via a gas pump. But that doesn't really matter. Its going to develop the same fumes whether filled by a gas can or pump. Full or 1/2, 3/4, or whatever else. That boat isn't going to have a huge tank, so not like he's dropping only 10 gallons in a 60 gallon tank.

First place I would suspect would be the fan ducting. That stuff is thin and in older boats gets holes, maybe it had a large hole close to the fan and engine compartment. Second would be to make sure the starter or alternator wasn't replaced at some point with non marine ones. My gut says you have a non marine starter and when he started, the automotive(non sealed) starter arced and it was over. Fumes or not it needs an ignition source.

The second explosive was undoubtably the gas tank itself which is under the rear seat. You have a major project ahead of yourself and parts are getting tougher and tougher to find for these older boats. Unless you have a special place in your heart for a older 205, whats the motivation? Please don't say its to save money. 99% of the people who have taken on something like this will tell you that you would be time and money ahead to buy one ready to run. They are often money pits and rarely do you break even on them. Odd boat to pick as its to new to be a classic and to old to be that popular anymore. Not popular enough to bring one back from the brink. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
If its a project you want to do, go for it. Post some pics along the way.

Sorry I can't help with your question.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Sounds like a liquid leak that dumped fuel into the bilge. No amount of blower venting is going to exhaust those fumes. Given the age of the boat, i would suspect that ethanol blended fuel had token its toll on the rubber and plastic fuel components. I would plan on an entire fuel system rebuild, including the tank and pickup.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Yep...my guess would be broken exhaust hose too...exhaust fan on and just moving the fumes around inside the doghouse...

Exhaust hosing on our 190 we bought was broken in a few sections...surprised this did not happen to the PO.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 PM
TT Newbie

gas tank is still full of fuel-did not blow or burn. already have all parts to fix. spend approx $300.00 including carpet for right side. did not burn rear seat. boat only has 300 hrs. runs and looks like new.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
TT Newbie

the ducting up front coming thru battey compartment area is all to pieces. falling apart. would make sense that the bilge ducting was same.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Lets see some pics of the project! Good luck
Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225VRS
If $300 in parts is gonna fix it how was it a total? Doesn't sound like an explosion at all and not much of a fire if $300 is gonna fix it. So its probably safe to say the ducting was bad and that explains the fumes, but now you need to find the ignition source. Make sure you have a marine starter and alternator.

Its didn't burn up any of the wiring in the boat or anything on the engine?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I can see the total as of the year with the wrong insurance - let's see some pictures..