Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Conanmc8

1992 engine and tranny problems

So I just purchased a 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with the 351. The hull is in immaculate shape and motor is clean. On the trailer, the motor was sound and seemed like she was ready to roll. Took her out for the first time yesterday and started noticing it was a little off while going. After letting the motor warm up, I went to get down on it and the boat would start to go, but then would rev really high and seemed like the prop wasn't grabbing and pushing us. If I eased into it, it would eventually speed up but then when I would accelerate to get it up on plane, it was as if you kicked it in neutral and rev'd it up. I go to turn around and now the boat isn't turning the prop at all. We're floating and the boat is in gear, and we're going nowhere. I cut the boat off to get up and check it, there's tranny fluid in the bottom of the hull under the motor. And when I tried to crank it to put it in neutral to make sure the motor seemed to be fine, it just clicks. I have power to the accessories but I figure it may be the starter but I'm not sure. But now I have a boat that won't crank, wouldn't go, and no has tranny fluid. Does anyone know what could have caused it?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
motor was ran on trailer? was there water attached? I bet a trans hose blew out at the fitting.. and most likely have corrosion somewhere.. what's the battery voltage?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanmc8 View Post
And when I tried to crank it to put it in neutral to make sure the motor seemed to be fine, it just clicks. I have power to the accessories but I figure it may be the starter but I'm not sure. But now I have a boat that won't crank, wouldn't go, and no has tranny fluid. Does anyone know what could have caused it?
I am not exactly sure what you are doing here, but if it isn't in neutral, the circuit won't let you crank the starter.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
Trans issue. Symptoms, point to low/no fluid.

Do obvious 1st.

Is trans fluid, on top side of tranny? Check fittings. Also, fill cap. Fill cap, has a plunger and T handle. Be sure plunger is fully push in. THEN, turn the T handle, till finger tight. The tranny operates under pressure. If loose, tranny won't get to full pressure. If tranny fluid is on under side. You probably have a bad seal.

The directional valve (forward/neutral/reverse), is operated via a cable. Must be in neutral, to start engine. (There is a plug, on top of tranny, with two wires, coming out of it. When in neutral, the wires are connected, completing the circuit to starter.)

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
Trans issue. Symptoms, point to low/no fluid.

Do obvious 1st.

Is trans fluid, on top side of tranny? Check fittings. Also, fill cap. Fill cap, has a plunger and T handle. Be sure plunger is fully push in. THEN, turn the T handle, till finger tight. The tranny operates under pressure. If loose, tranny won't get to full pressure. If tranny fluid is on under side. You probably have a bad seal.

The directional valve (forward/neutral/reverse), is operated via a cable. Must be in neutral, to start engine. (There is a plug, on top of tranny, with two wires, coming out of it. When in neutral, the wires are connected, completing the circuit to starter.)
This, and you've either got an input or output seal leaking or the leak could be from a transmission line. You just buy the boat? I'm assuming no water test?

Cranking issue, like others said, it needs to be in neutral. Maybe wiggle throttle arm a little, also make sure safety lanyard is in place. Maybe knocked it loose during the mix up?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 190 1990 351w
I just bought a prostar 190 and had similar issues and have done extensive research about my transmission including rebuilding it and it still blew out the front pump seal but I just found out that the the trans gear selector valve is also the pressure regulator valve for this trans and if it is stuck then the trans line pressure will peg out and blow the front pump seal. I have two 10-17-006 transmissions and both valves were stuck and couldn't get either one out so I have one ordered they are $196.00 from boaters plus. If the boat sat up do very long I'd be willing to bet that the valve is stuck and causing your problems.