Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 86 prostar
86 Mastercraft fuel pump replacement questions.

I have an 86 Mastercraft with a ford 351w.

The fuel pump I have has a small canister filter on the bottom.
It looks like this.

Would a fuel pump that looks like this function as a replacement?

Came off a 1991 Tristar 220 with a 351W Ford engine

How do I go about removing and installing a replacement?

The carburetor is a Holly 4160 marine #803191

Thanks for such a great site!!

Last edited by srsvermont; 10-04-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Prostar
I cant answer you question about the fuel pump, but wanted to add to check your fuel pressure after you get it setup. The last 3 pumps I have bought for various different vehicles have been pushing over 8 psi, causing the carb to flood during idle & at shutdown. I have had to add a pressure regulator to every setup I have.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1995, 5.7L Indmar
They are both 351W so it should fit. The small canister is for separating out water from the fuel and the screw on the bottom is so you can drain it. The main concern I have is that the pump actuating arm on the original looks like it has a much sharper bend in it than the replacement. How do they compare when you hold them next to each other?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsvermont View Post
I have an 86 Mastercraft with a ford 351w.

The fuel pump I have has a small canister filter on the bottom.
It looks like this.

Would a fuel pump that looks like this function as a replacement?

Came off a 1991 Tristar 220 with a 351W Ford engine

How do I go about removing and installing a replacement?

The carburetor is a Holly 4160 marine #803191

Thanks for such a great site!!
I think this is correct but please double check my math. Your 86 is a PCM top end. The outlet port for the fuel line (steel configured to fit) will be different on the pump from the Maristar (Indmar top end). They are located a few degrees off so the fuel line will not line up. There is a replacement fuel line that will work to adapt the Indmar configuration to the PCM application. However that original pumps looks close to the Indmar pump (hard to tell from that angle of one picture). I may be wrong about your specific scenario but the information about PCM VS Indmar is correct.

I will say this, take it or leave it; When removing and reinstalling the carb and the fuel line, set the line in place connected from the pump first. Then set the carb down onto the fuel line connection. Do not set the carb on the baseplate first then try and fit the line. You risk springing the line which may not seem too bad until you go to thread the couplings together. Cross-thread city, then a leak. Been all down that road several times before I learned. Don't be tempted with short cuts and do not use white plumber's tape. Do it right..... or not..

Unbolt the pump from the block and reinstall the new one. It is straight forward with a few taps to set the pump lever in the block. Real easy. Do not use a gasket sealant.

As the other poster pointed out; make sure the lever is the same configuration as well. If they are different, your performance may vary or suffer.

From the looks of the new one you want to jury rig, I'd be inclined to find the correct application. Try ==> Discount Inboard Marine <== .

Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-06-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 86 prostar
Thanks everyone for all of the help

The 1986 351w is Indmar, sorry I forgot to include that important piece of information

I won't be able to compare the two pumps levers for a couple weeks.

When it comes time to install would the flexible gas line from Discount Inboard Marine http://www.skidim.com/FLEXIBLE-FUEL-...tinfo/DIMRPFL/ work if there are any problems matching things up?

Last edited by srsvermont; 10-07-2016 at 09:30 PM.