Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft X-Star, LQ9
Boat runs fine, then bogs / stalls, then runs again.

Newbie question.
I was out in my 2005 MasterCraft XStar today which was otherwise performing well, and I was cruising fairly slow around the lake for about 30 minutes. About 30 minutes in, the engine started to sputter and 'crap out'. The RPM's would go way down, then go back up, then down again.
Finally, it crapped right out and wouldn't go anywhere when I tried to accelerate.
It stalled and I could start it up again, but it would not go anywhere when I tried to accelerate - things would just rattle and stop / stall.
I started to paddle to shore and eventually got towed.
It took about 20 minutes to get back to my dock and when I got there, I could start it up and drive it again.
Any suggestions on what this could be?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
2005 - ever change the fuel pump or fuel filter?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2002
Yep, were thinking the same thing, fuel surge caused by obstruction, good place to start.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 PM
TT Newbie

I have had the fuel pump / filter changed.

I've read on some other posts that the gas tank venting can be an issue and to loosen the gas cap and try again. Has anyone actually had this work? I am going to try to re-create the problem again tomorrow and see if it does.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 Prostar 1997
Or just old gas.

2005 Prostar 197 Orange & White
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 AM
TT Newbie

So, interesting experiment.

My father and I were trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
We were doing more and more research and found this attached statement in an online MasterCraft manual.

It says "Allowing the fuel level in the fuel tank to fall below 1/4 of a tank full may affect the reliability of the fuel pump or result in damage to the fuel pump, which is not covered under warranty.."

So, when I was running the boat, it was showing a little less than 1/2 tank. However, I took the fuel cap off and listened for the fuel pump and it was LOUD and SURGING. So, I added 26 gallons to the tank, and took her back out for a 40 minute ride and didn't have any of the earlier problems.

Couldn't make it stall or anything at any RPM.

I'm going to keep an eye on this and will report back with any more problems!
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Possible 2 things may have resulted from low fuel in the tank.

1. When your tank has more fuel in it the fuel does not go through the filter, but rather dumps into the top of the fuel module and to the pump. If your fuel filter has not been changed in a while, time to change it.
2. When the pump is not submerged in gas it will run hot. Sometimes this will kill the pump or shorten it's life. If you're lucky you can shut the boat off and let the pump cool down enough to get you going again.

I ran my tank under 1/4 once and it shut down. Had to get towed in. Filled the gas tank and ran fine for the rest of the day. The next day I ordered a new fuel pump module and installed it. Never let it go down to 1/4 tank since. I have the same year X-star as you.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:05 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, jerseydave - Hey can you point me in the right direction for the fuel pump module and instructions on how to install? I might order one as well just to preempt any issues.

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Any MC dealer can help you out with that. You'll need a fuel line quick release tool you can buy from and auto parts store. Other than that it's pretty straight forward to replace.

Some guys just buy a new pump from AutoZone, NAPA, etc. Way cheaper than the whole module. You'll still need to get a filter from MC or www.skidim.com.

Search "fuel pump 101" and you'll find the tread.