Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, S&S, 83
floor voids ideas?

There are a few areas on the fiberglass floor of my '83 S&S that seemed to have raised up. They are somewhat springy. I'm thinking that since the carpet is currently off, I should fill the voids and add a layer of fiberglass to strengthen it. I thought about drilling a couple of holes and pouring in expanding foam. Then I'd trim off the foam overflow and glass over it (but, I'm afraid the expansion of the foam may actually push the voids up even more). I also have an idea to drill and fill with epoxy & let it cure under a heavy weight, but I'm not sure how well it would adhere to the existing factory foam.

any ideas - has anyone addressed this?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
What you are seeing is the floor separating from the stringer system, it has essentially de-laminated from the hull. The only real cure is to cut out the existing area that has separated and either lay more fiberglass and epoxy to create another floor or patch. You could also use plywood and seal it properly with fiberglass and epoxy. I would steer away from just filling the voids with foam or expoxy because you wouldn't have really fixed your problem.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey furevo,

I'm not up on what's under the floor of an S&S. However, I can talk all day on the miracles and how to's and whatif's of epoxy...be careful of filling voids as too much epoxy can create heat...

If it were mine, I'd want to know WHY it raised up and what's under there. Just my opine....

You can add a bit of stiffness by adding glass cloth set in epoxy to the surface, this will lock in moisture build up under the floor (if that's what's happening) and within the plywood itself and COULD increase your problem...

I'd get some opinions/knowledge on what's under there first, then propose a "cure".

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme

Last edited by wesgardner; 04-26-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini
What you are seeing is the floor separating from the stringer system, it has essentially de-laminated from the hull. The only real cure is to cut out the existing area that has separated and either lay more fiberglass and epoxy to create another floor or patch. You could also use plywood and seal it properly with fiberglass and epoxy. I would steer away from just filling the voids with foam or expoxy because you wouldn't have really fixed your problem.
I thought that may be what has happened.
What do you think if I drilled a line of holes in the floor section along the tops of the stringers, injected epoxy and screwed the floor to the stringers with counter sunk stainless steel screws, then glassed over?
I want to fix it, but I don't really want to tear the whole thing apart.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I was wondering if water made its way into that area and then froze over the winter, lifting the floor?
If there is water there, you may want to get it out..... but how?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Hmmmm.... Now I'm really curious. I've got two spots on my S&S that do the same thing. They are symmetric on either side of boat, located roughly in between the motor box and side of the boat, but located just to the rear of the motor box (hopefully that made sense). Where is your floor springy?

Since it was the same on both sides I've never really worried about it. I did discover that I had some water infiltrate the hull and main stringers through some unsealed screw holes. I did my best to drain one year and sealed up the holes and haven't seen any damage yet. That was 3 years ago and the boat sees 0 degree temps in the winter. Until the boat gets a complete restoration I figured I would just take care of it as best I can and keep it running well and looking sharp. Like you, I don't see the point of digging into the structure yet (especially since I don't have a garage).
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
This is a common occurance on these boats as mine did the exact same thing. Floor separated from stringers in or about that area. I had my entire floor cut out and replaced it with plywood and of course fiberglass and expoxy to seal it. If your going to go through the trouble of drilling multiple holes and expoxing, it would seriously be easier to cut out the problems areas and lay a new FLAT floor/patch down and bond it correctly to stringer system. All you need is some sort of cutting wheel/saw set at the correct depth and go at it. Measure your newly created hole and cut out new flooring material and bond away. At least that way you will know how wet it is under there, if at all, and you won't have to worry about it being done right.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

I think every s&s i've ever looked at has a little bit of floor lift on the enclosed sides of the floor including mine.The floor on mine isn't springy yet but i'm sure in time it will be.I would bet some of the guys who bought their boats new and still have them don't have any floor problems.I'm just going to leave mine and enjoy the boat and worry about it some time in the future when it's ready for a complete tear down.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzgerald351
Hmmmm.... Now I'm really curious. I've got two spots on my S&S that do the same thing. They are symmetric on either side of boat, located roughly in between the motor box and side of the boat, but located just to the rear of the motor box (hopefully that made sense). Where is your floor springy?

Since it was the same on both sides I've never really worried about it. I did discover that I had some water infiltrate the hull and main stringers through some unsealed screw holes. I did my best to drain one year and sealed up the holes and haven't seen any damage yet. That was 3 years ago and the boat sees 0 degree temps in the winter. Until the boat gets a complete restoration I figured I would just take care of it as best I can and keep it running well and looking sharp. Like you, I don't see the point of digging into the structure yet (especially since I don't have a garage).
That's one spot where it's springy, the other is on the sides perpendicular to the front of the motor box. This area looks like that's where the foam was injected. There are a couple of 1 1/2 inch (+/-) dia circles on the floor that are probably patched injector holes.

What did you do to drain the inside of the hull? I afraid there may be water trapped in between.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslot82
I was wondering if water made its way into that area and then froze over the winter, lifting the floor?
If there is water there, you may want to get it out..... but how?
I don't think the boat was ever in an area that gets much freezing - pretty mild winters out here. I'm thinking the adhesive just plum broke down (delaminated). But I wonder if there is water inside. How do you get it out?