Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2007, 8.1L
x-45 won't go goofy

I recently purchased a 2007 x-45 and have been wake surfing behind it this summer. I have a weird issue though. I believe the boat has an all stock ballast system, i don't see any extra bags laying around anywhere. But when i have all the ballasts empty and the boat on the lift the boat makes the lift lean a bit towards the port side. Also when i empty the port ballast and fill the starboard ballast to ride goofy the wake doesn't really change. I am guessing something is wrong with the ballast system or somehow more weight has been added to the port side but i don't see anything. When i fill/drain the ballasts they all seem to fill and empty based on the gauges and seeing water come out. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Family Boat '08 X-Star
Not anything functionally wrong with your boat. The boat slightly lists to the port side due to prop rotation. Your starboard side will naturally be a little washier (scientific term) than port anytime you're surfing. To offset this you'll have to weight the starboard side a little heavier than you would port when surfing to clean up your wake.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
TT Newbie

Ok, so with the stock starboard ballast completely full port empty the wake starboard wake is completely washed-out and the port still looks surf able. That's normal until sacing it out?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I wouldn't say prop rotation would make your boat lift lean to the port side when your boat is out of the water. There's gotta be something heavy on that side somewhere.

Can you confirm the port tank is empty after the gauges claim it is?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
^^^ my thought also! any chance your boat isn't sitting on the lift bunks correct? there are many boats at my marina that sit goofy on their lifts. thank goodness mine doesn't!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM
TT Newbie

I've been trying to figure out how to confirm the tank is empty but not sure how. I don't see the tank looking in the back locker is it under the carpet? I saw some info about impellers going out on pumps and was thinking this could be the case.

The boat seems to be sitting properly. I moved it around to a few times pushing it to the left of the slip then the right and lifting but still leans towards port and only in the back of the lift as well, it actually puts the port stern of the lift under water a little bit.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Empty port ballast by its self and after it runs dry stop for a minute and run it empty again to see if it's actually pumping all of it out. Maybe a x45 expert will chime in soon
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2005
Don't know about the list to the left on the lift (try saying that/typing that fast three times).....

Anyhow, my son surfs goofy on the starboard side so I fill that stock ballast tank and kgb and keep the wheel turned about a 1/4 in that direction and it cleans the wake up real nice for him. I'm running a 2005 x45 all stock ballast. We usually have a driver, the surfer and 1 maybe 2 people in the boat during his sessions (not heavy people, about 150 average weight each).

Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X45 SS 2007 Crusader 8.1 HO
When the stock ballast in the back of the boat is completely empty the swim platform in my big block boat is completely aligned with waterline, it actually sits half way in the water. This is a good way for me to always check that the ballast is completely empty. Another way is to remove the front panels in front of the ballast tanks, this way you can see the actual water level in the tanks.
MC X-Star MCX 2005
Tige 20v 2004 black scorpion 6.2
MC ProStar 190 1995 275hp
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM
TT Newbie

wilhelmwake- where exactly is the front panel. Are the tanks under the rear locker floors?