Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X35 2013
DIY Suckgate angle of the panel/deflector

I want to have a tread dedicated with people experiences with the different angles they have used for their Suckgate.

Most users avoid doing 90 degree and from the pics they appear to be around 80 degrees on average. With an adjustable Suckgate I have been playing with angles between 90 - 60.

Around 90 we get a flatter wave which is great for teaching new riders. Still a good amount of push but not enough to do any tricks requiring speed.

Around 60 we get a steeper/bigger wave with lots of push and we can lengthen out the wave by increasing speed.

I have modified my Suckgate to be adjustable to 50 degrees and we test it out soon.

Your are your experiences?

Also sorry for the large image, I assumed that the discussion board with limit its width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x20
I think a good rule of thumb is the end of the gate should be about 5 inches off the side of the boat so depending on how long your gate is, your angle would change. I tested a few angles on my x2 and thats what I found and I'm not sure but I think the NSS extends around 4 inches and that is plenty of deflection. I'm no engineer though so take that into account.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x20
Height of the gate will also make a difference in the overall volume of water you are deflecting and how far you will need to deflect. I would think large gate area deflects more volume so less angle is needed.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tige 22ve
as said above surface area and angle of the face can make a big difference. Ive done a ton of testing on mine and made an adjustable version. When it rotates having the face extending further away from the hull helps it delay the wake more despite the angle. Well placed cut outs also help wash out the wake a little more which further delays its convergence.

The shallower angle works amazing on nautiques and my friends mastercraft.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sedz; 10-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
I have 205V hull with an 80 degree gate and have not been impressed. In the spring I will try 60 and 45 to see how that is. The 80 degree makes a very good looking wave, but there is a real lack of push. The boat listed provides a lot more push but a much smaller pocket.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tige 22ve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
I have 205V hull with an 80 degree gate and have not been impressed. In the spring I will try 60 and 45 to see how that is. The 80 degree makes a very good looking wave, but there is a real lack of push. The boat listed provides a lot more push but a much smaller pocket.
i think a lot also depends on where on the wave you are surfing and what kind of riding you are looking to do. When I ride i set it up to have the strongest push at the back pocket (right before the curl) so that i can drop in and generate speed to do airs.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedz View Post
i think a lot also depends on where on the wave you are surfing and what kind of riding you are looking to do. When I ride i set it up to have the strongest push at the back pocket (right before the curl) so that i can drop in and generate speed to do airs.
While I agree, and I'm able to do this by playing with how far back/forward I mount it, even the area with the most push, is still pretty soft.