Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x30 2008 6.o
2008 X30 surf setup

Just purchased a 2008 Mastercraft X30 I want to know the surf setup you would recommend for just factory ballasts. So excited
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 2008 X-35
Hey there Ryan,

I asked this early last week on a post for my 2008 X-35 here under the Wakesurfing heading, but didn't get any answers here. However, I did get some responses on the "ballast" area post--so, you might want to try it there too.

It sounds like both of our boats are close in specs, so heres what I have gotten so far and I can share:

*Hard stock tank in the rear full on the side you want to surf
*400 lbs of fat sack/High fly in each side, only fill the side you're going to surf
* We need a Wakeshaper device. Look up his posts here on Teamtalk and his FB page and website (www.wake-shaper.com or Www.facebook.com/wakeshaper). I'm having him build one for my X-35, and it will probably work for your X-30 as well. I didnt have my specific measurements, but we e-mailed back and forth and he's going to figure it out. If you can (my boat is in storage in Lake Tahoe so I can't grab the measurements), here is what he asked me initially and it will help if oyu want one of these, to relay to him:

1. Gap between swim platform and transom
2. Height of swim step bracket
3. Distance from edge of the swim step bracket to corner of boat

Definitely contact him and check out the demo. As it is,the stock ballast on our models will not be enough to surf without a rope. I've had mine 2 seasons now and I'm just seeing these options here on extra ballast and this wakeshaper. My boat is the last year before the Gen 1 surf system came out, so (as for yours), extra mods need to be made to surf. I'm not even sure the 400lb fat sacks will be enough, (some people are saying 800# in each locker), but I don't want all these huge bags taking up all my storage space. Supposedly, this guy Scott that created the Wakeshaper is running only stock ballast on his 2007 X-2 9see the videos), which is smaller than both of our model boats and it works really nicely, extra ballast will just make the wave that much better--longer and steeper. If you can add this thing without the fat sacks, that would be worth the investment in my opinion, and that is what I'm aiming to do.

Definitely contact him though, if enough people ask, all the pre-Gen 1 &Gen 2 MC surf boats will have great surfing waves with not too much cost.

Let me know if you get any good info or what he says, tell him I sent you!

Cheers!

Bobby