Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 190, 2001
Wakesurfing behind a PS190 and not swamping it?

Hey guys-

I could use some practical advice from someone out there that has been using their Prostar 190 to wakesurf behind. My problem is that I have swamped it on two different occasions and I do not want to do it again. My set up has varied but typically I have around 1000 lb fat sac in the rear and a 500 lb on the passenger side w/ the passenger ballast full (180 lbs). I am 6' 2", 220lbs and I ride a CWB 63" Ride wakesurf board.

The obvious answer is to reduce the weight but I want the wake as big as possible since I am a bigger guy. It seems my 2001 PS190 swamps from water coming in the air intakes (?) above the platform, not from coming over the back or sides. I know that careful driving and an extra large capacity bilge pump can really help but is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice-
Scott
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 prostar 190
Hey Scott,

I have just started surfing behind my 94 Prostar 190, Acme 913 prop. Here's what I have. Leave the back seat in and put a 750lb sac between the seat and the engine hood. Put 2 more 250lb sacs on the side you are surfing on. The wake on the left of the boat is better. The rub rail is touching the water.

Take it up to about 10.5 mph, Awesome wake.

Don't do any sharp manovers and especially don't slow down real fast or go in reverse.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Don't forget to post pictures if you sink it!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will try your set up with my PS190 and not exceed 750lbs in the back. I am going to pick up and extra fat sac pump (just in case) and really make sure my driver is paying attention to rollers coming toward the rear of the boat.

I have had some really great wakesurfing behind the PS190 so I will just keep these factors in check and I should be ok.

Ride on-
Scott
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
i love cwb ride.

i would just back off ballast and be carefull. that hull will prob never be the best to surf but as i have said before we do not surf without the rope. we can but my crew tends to do more 180's, 360's and assorted manuevers than just ride in one spot!!
Attached Images

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Shamrock,

Also their boards are pointing away from the boat. Get them pointed towards the middle of the transom or tow rings and better chance of surfing without the rope as the board will be cutting into the wave instead of riding down it. Just an observation.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie's View Post
Shamrock,

Also their boards are pointing away from the boat. Get them pointed towards the middle of the transom or tow rings and better chance of surfing without the rope as the board will be cutting into the wave instead of riding down it. Just an observation.
thanks roonie but we were doing this just to play. knox had his board and i trust him and drylandfish riding together so i pulled them at the same time. thanks for the tips though!!

now if we can just get that surfing section!!!!

2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TT Newbie

Shamrock-

Yeah, I love the CWB Ride as well. Since it has a flatter rocker and bigger surface area I have had some excellent long surf rides with this board. It has such a nice feel to it.

You are right, the PS190 is just not designed for big wakes and wakesurfing but it seems to work pretty good for a "ski" boat. I will just have to be religious with driving techniques and weight capacities so I don't have another dreaded swamp out. It is a huge buzz kill when your boat starts taking in water!

Cheers-
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
MC Addict

lol yeah i can imagine!!

the tsunami is fun too!! it rides the same but is shorter so it is easier to spin!!!

in the pic i posted knox is on a cwb razr. it is made like a surfboard. it is a fun ride too!!

2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 24????
All you need to do to avoid swamping the boat is when your boarder falls cut back on the gas let the wake go past you and turn to the right or left inside the wake and slowly pick up your boarder. You will miss all the rollers and help keep the water smooth.
Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered.
-- Babe Ruth