Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2008, MCX engine
Need help finding tow vehicle

I need to replace my 2004 Toyota Sequoia as the lease is ending. I am very satisfied with the truck in general but the inside of the rear door and hatch is all rusted and I claim that it is due to poor design of the back window seals but Toyota refused to pay for it. All of this to say that I will not buy another Toyota.

I have 4 children so we are always 6 in the truck plus luggage and 2 coolers. I am considering the Yukon XL and the Expedition EL (Max in Canada). I find the seating in the 3rd row of the Yukon very low on the floor.

My other choices for a smaller truck would be the Honda Pilot or the Buick Enclave which have reasonable trunks when you fold the 2/3 of the 3rd row. My worry is the towing capacity of those vehicles. I bought a new X2 2008 and my dealer tells me that it weights with trailer and gas and gear close to 5,000 pounds.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thank you,
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
that is kind of weird about the rusting. i owned a 01 and 05 sequoia and never had that issue.

i bought a 07 tahoe when they first came out. a much better improvement over the previous body style of the tahoe, but not a whole lot of leg room in the 2nd and 3rd row.

that being said when the 08 sequoia came out i went and test drove one. all i can really say is wow. tons of room, lexus like ride and plenty of power to pull the boat.

i know have 7K miles on it and it has been great.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
When in doubt, going with a bigger vehicle is generally better, as you never want the item you are pulling to control the vehicle pulling it. If you are not towing much at all, then you can probably get away with a smaller vehicle, where the towing capacity is closer to the weight you are looking to pull, but if you plan any trips, you will appreciate the better control and stopping ability that typically comes with a larger vehicle like a Yukon.
Personally, I tow with a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel and love it.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft X-9 MCX
I've got an '05 X9 that I tow with an '07 Suburban. I love it...tows with ease, even on steep, slippery ramps, and has a ton of room. I've got 3 kids and a dog, and never have a problem with kids, dog, luggage, etc.

We've also used it as the "designated driver" vehicle with friends when we go out for a night on the town. 4 couples, so we have had 3 people in the 3rd row. We put the smallest one's back there, and they don't complain about it.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Go big or go home... you'll never notice the boat behind this bad boy!
Attached Images

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashydubber View Post
Go big or go home...!
this coming from a guy who has a 40th-star... you realize you ARE THAT KID

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Maristar 210 330 hp reverse black/white
We pull our 2002 Maristar 210 with a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. The 2008 replaced a 2001 GMC Yukon XL. The Suburban is almost identical to the Yukon XL - main difference is the front end (headlights and grill). The Suburban pulls the boat with ease. A couple of features I like on the Suburban is the back up camera, which makes hooking up the trailer very easy, and the third row seat now is 50/50 so you can fold down half of the third row seat if you want. My kids like the fact that the second row seats can be folded up by the push of a button. My five year old spent twenty minutes in the truck pushing the button to make the seats fold down and then pulling them back up and doing it all over again. This feature makes access to the third seat really easy for the kids. We didn't look at the Ford because we have had such good luck with the Suburbans/Yukons in the past.

Good luck on your search.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
my yukon xl works great!!!!!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I love my 3/4 Yukon XL, too! I have the 8.1L so it pulls like a Mack Truck.....in exchange for a little fuel

If gas is a concern, I think the 1/2 suburban (Yukon XL) is a great choice.

GM has really refined these trucks. If money is nothing to you, get the Yukon XL Denali. It has the larger 6.2L engine and a 6 speed. The standard suburbans have teh 5.3L and 4 speed only. The Denali is also all-wheel-drive.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
bhowell

The big SUV's are really cheap now, could not have picked a better time to buy one. For your needs, the Expedition or Yukon should work great. We ship a bunch of vehicles over to Canada, feel free to contact me bhowell@howellford.com if I can help.

Bill