Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-24-2005, 04:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 94 prostar 190
01 prostar 190 running like crud

Hello everyone. I'am new to the site and after having an 86 prostar several years ago, and owning a Brendella and a Malibu in between I have came back to Mastercraft. I have a 2001 prostar 190 with the 330 hp northstar motor in it, 180 hours.. I have had the boat about a month and use it weekly at a private ski lake nearby.. This morning it started missing and sputtering and even a couple of pops. It got progressively worse as the morning went on till we couldn't even ski behind it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?? I stopped for fuel on the way home and put in some fuel system conditioner and some gas dryer. I'm going to change the plugs and look for the fuel filter,,does anyone know where the filter is or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?????? thank you
Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Welcome to the board, sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Oh, by the way there are many people that are familiar w/ the MC boats on this site. They surely will be able to get you back on the water.

JimN, here is another one for ya
Old 04-24-2005, 04:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappskier
Hello everyone. I'am new to the site and after having an 86 prostar several years ago, and owning a Brendella and a Malibu in between I have came back to Mastercraft. I have a 2001 prostar 190 with the 330 hp northstar motor in it, 180 hours.. I have had the boat about a month and use it weekly at a private ski lake nearby.. This morning it started missing and sputtering and even a couple of pops. It got progressively worse as the morning went on till we couldn't even ski behind it. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?? I stopped for fuel on the way home and put in some fuel system conditioner and some gas dryer. I'm going to change the plugs and look for the fuel filter,,does anyone know where the filter is or have any other ideas as to what could be wrong?????? thank you

Welcome to the site and welcome back to MC!!

Sounds to me like you are on the right track with the fuel filter approach. Not sure where it is on your boat but I am sure someone on here will.
Welcome aboard!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
Along with the regular fuel filter, you should have a water seperator between the tank and engine. If you can locate it, I'd suggest opening the valve on the bottom to check/drain water that might be present. Sorry I can't be more specific.....my boat is a bit older and I'm sure location of the filters will be different on your boat.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 94 prostar 190
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys, but I have looked all over and cant find any filters or a seperator, I'm sure they are there somewhere ?? Could they be in the tank??
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
I don't think the newer boat have the H2O sep filters like the old ones.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome.

I believe they got rid of the spin-on fuel/water seperators in the mid 90s (approx 1995). Don't forget to clean the flame arrestor, too.

Which year was it that the kill switch had serious issues. I don't know if that would causes sputtering, or if it would just die and not restart. Just thinking outloud.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappskier
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys, but I have looked all over and cant find any filters or a seperator, I'm sure they are there somewhere ?? Could they be in the tank??
Welcome
there are some mechanics on here that will help you
I had that same setup and the filter is in the tank. I don't remember any problems as you describe so I cannot help you there.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
A buddy of mine had this happen to his boat. Ended up being (of all things) a cracked spark plug. I about fell over when the dealership finally figured it out.Remember - check the simple things first.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.