Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeX2wake View Post
roonie... i'll trade you a LED install for a ballast install... Mn to Al might be a trip but it looks like some good work you got done there
and after you get done in alabama, you can just slip right on over to tulsa and help me install mine and i can show you the stargazer install.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
and after you get done in alabama, you can just slip right on over to tulsa and help me install mine and i can show you the stargazer install.
hey if the installer is buying the buying the equipment... what color do you want?

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Ok finally got it out on the water to do a water test. System worked great. With the reset timers it will fill the bag full and shut off right before it starts going out the overflow and runs the full 6 minutes. Everything empties just fine. I did not get to fill the bow bag due to operator error. Seems I forgot to plug two holes in the bow bag with the threaded plugs. I missed those holes for some reason. Luckily I found out early when the water started pouring into the bilge. Even dumber on my part when I got home I realized I had the threaded plugs with me in the glove box the whole time.. Oh well I will test it this weekend again.

Here are some pics....

Port bag full or at least as full as the timers will let me which is 90-95% full. Also interesting to note that there is probably a good foot or more on top of those bags for storage still.... at least a couple of life jackets. The metal arm is the integrated MC table that comes as an option.

Starboard bag full which for some reason filled a little more than port until timer shut it off.

With Port and Starboard filled as well as center KGB it put my platform under the water about 3 inches.

Last edited by Roonie's; 08-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
glad to see the back sacs works.

any wake pic.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Now for pics of wake. This is both port and starboard and kgb full as well as an extra 800#'s from two fly high sacs in the rear compartments. This pic is going about 22mph. The pic doesn't do it justice but a really nice big wake.

Here is the surf wake with just port and KGB filled as well as a 400# rear sac at about 11 mph. It still needs to be cleaned up some and I think it will when I get the bow bag filled and play with the speed somwhat. I am very happy with the size already as it is a huge difference from stock!!! Pics don't do it justice or give you size relation.

I wish I had some adult company as it was butter and no one else out except a few fisherman along the shores and I am itching to try the wake on the end of a rope. The only waves are from me.

Last edited by Roonie's; 08-08-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

My helper......

Also I am going to upgrade the prop as I found out it is a little slower getting out of the hole. To be expected with that much weight in the boat as I was running about 2000 #'s today of extra ballast (including stock). It still does it just fine but definately slower as the rear digs in much more and the bow comes up a lot. I am hoping the bow sac will fix some of that. Right at the lower surf speed it is using all its HP that the motor has as I can feel it. Once on plane wakeboard speed no big deal.

Last edited by Roonie's; 08-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 Born on date of 4-28-08
Talking

I did my install today. Front sac kicked my a$$. I cut the overflow of the KGB and split it two ways into the bow sac. Lots of working with two arms/hands in the access hole. It is also hot in Texas at 1 in the afternoon.

As of now I have the two in the rear and the integrated one in the front. Glad to hear about the foot of storage on top of the bags. Can never have too much storage. So no leaks in anything?....well not counting the the unplugged holes

Thanks for your well documented installation I was able to git-r-done. Will have it in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosdad View Post
I did my install today. Front sac kicked my a$$. I cut the overflow of the KGB and split it two ways into the bow sac. Lots of working with two arms/hands in the access hole. It is also hot in Texas at 1 in the afternoon.

As of now I have the two in the rear and the integrated one in the front. Glad to hear about the foot of storage on top of the bags. Can never have too much storage. So no leaks in anything?....well not counting the the unplugged holes

Thanks for your well documented installation I was able to git-r-done. Will have it in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Pictures always help me.... No leaks anywhere except the two unplugged holes. I am going to do another water test today and do some boarding behind it too.

That small access hole was by far the hardest part of the installation. A couple skinned knuckles and a lot of sweat and heating of the tubes/soap I got it done.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 Born on date of 4-28-08
Just to clarify...everytime that the Pergo switch is turned off do the ballasts timers reset to factory or say 4.5 minutes??? In other words do I have to program the pumps everytime since we turn off the switch when we put the boat up for the week.

Got the boat in the water, yesterday. I had reprogrammed the pump timers to about 9 minutes each. That was long enough to fill both rears to overflow. The front one only filled the bag about half way in that time span. I will reprogram that one. Hence my question of "if I turn off the battery switch do I need to reprogram all of them?" That would be a major hassle!!

As far as emptying the bags....we have to be moving to get to the 1500rpm they recommend so the rear bags left a little water in them due to the bow upward angle. The front one emptied completely.

As for the wake...wow we had both rears filled, the stock KGB, and 6 people in the boat. My nephew said that it was like running into a wall. Oh yeah, no leaks....woo hoo
Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
awesome to hear on the installs... what i'm more curious about is... does the wake still have the good smooth long transition and lip or does it become more abrupt and just a wall... i had about 9 bodies in mine over the weekend w/ a few coolers filled with... ice... and i didn't have a drop of ballast in and that thing was HUGE... however i didn't like it much b/c it was too much like my buddy SANTE wake... little transition and wall like ride up to the lip... i know i probably just need to go buy a star but i really am wanting to keep the smooth transition into a rampy wake w/ a firm lip

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett

Tags
fly high, x2 ballast