Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-08-2015, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
2001 X-Star Ballast Installation

Got a great deal on some Straight Line 900 lbs Sumo bags, as well as an IBS, and our center bag broke, so we redid our entire ballast system. Started with pulling out the hard tanks, then installing everything. Our X-Star has the old aerator pump system, before they switched to the reversible impellers in 2002.

Rear bag installation. Front is connected to the vent, ran a new hose for that since the original line is a little bit short. Rear is the fill, and rear bottom is the drain pump. Existing 90 elbows worked perfectly. Straight Line 1" NPT to 3/4" Quicklok fittings were used.

Since the fill line also wasn't long enough, we got a 3/4" to 3/4" coupler to extend the line.

Here is the drain pump setup. I'm using a 1" NPT to 3/4" NPT bushing, along with a 3/4" NPT male to 3/4" NPT female elbow. All of those can be picked up at Home Depot. The pump was replaced with the Attwood 800 GPH pump, which already has a short 3/4" connection. For our purposes, high drain flow rates was not a priority. A 3/4" female to 3/4" Quicklok fitting was used on the outlet.

Center sac setup. Used a Straight Line Big Bag 375. It bulges up on the ski locker door slightly, but not much. Had to replace the two top straight connectors with 90s, but the bottom was able to use the straight.

Here is the tee to split the vent line to allow both legs of the IBS to fill and drain. 3/4" tee. Line had to be pushed in from the access hole on the driver side, but it was easy with the floor removed. The hole was large enough to allow reaching inside to grab the hose.

IBS installation. Used the Fly High IBS. The bag takes up all the room under the bow seats.

Cut the vent line so that it can go directly to the sac.

Vent for the IBS was the front port rather than the two rear ports I have seen on some installations. We chose this due to the fact that the front should be higher than the rear two legs and allow more air to get out, and that our boat only has one vent thru-hull. I pushed in tubing from observer seat compartment until it got to the front, there was barely enough room for me to grab the hose and pull it through. Did it this way to keep things cleaner.

And that's it for my ballast installation. All fittings, tubing, couplers, tee, and pumps were bought from Wakemakers. Pro tip when pushing the tubing onto the barbs: have a cup of hot water close by. Dip the end of the tubing in the cup for about half a minute, then push it on the barb. It will make it go from near impossible to push on to being a piece of cake. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I love my 900 Sumo Sacs.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-Star
I have a 01 X-Star as well and I have removed the hard tanks, and need to replace all of the pump cartridges, I see that the drain pumps on mine are Mayfair/Johnson 1000gph. Where are the fill pumps and are the exact same as the drain? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

The fill pumps are located underneath the engine. They are the exact same type as the drain pumps. Two of the pumps are under the port (left) side, and one is under the starboard (right) side.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV
How much ballast did the stock setup have? How much now?

Nice work!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog12a View Post
I have a 01 X-Star as well and I have removed the hard tanks, and need to replace all of the pump cartridges, I see that the drain pumps on mine are Mayfair/Johnson 1000gph. Where are the fill pumps and are the exact same as the drain? Any help would be appreciated.
They should be at the stern as they have holes drilled in the back of the transom and the pumps mount though these holes and have a small screen on the suction. Later models went to jabs do ballast puppies with through hull going underneath bottom of the boat.

Cartridge (motor & impeller) is removable on yours without having to pull the entire pump.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
How much ballast did the stock setup have? How much now?

Nice work!
Stock setup was about 250 in each rear tank and about 300 in the middle. I'm just estimating, I would say we can fill up about 600-700 in each rear tank and about 800-900 combined in front.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MasterCraft Maristar 210
Nice work. With this quality of install, you might want to consider replacing your worm drive clamps with pinch clamps. It will give your work an even more professional look. Even better, they don't have the sharp "tail" sticking out like a worm drive clamp so no snagged life jackets (or for that matter, snagged hands).

You might hear pinch clamps called Oetiker clamps because Oetiker was the first company to make them. Oetiker brand pinch clamp pliers (the red ones on the photo below) are around $100. But I bought a pair at Home Depot for $10 (the blue ones in the photo below) and they work fine. I think they're Ideal brand.

Once you own a pair of pliers, the clamps are cheap -- around a buck or two each at a hose supply store or Amazon.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x10 2001 5.7 ltr vortec ltr
Can you buy The fittings that connect to the fly high bags from Home Depot or do you need to buy them from wake makers?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft x10 2001 5.7 ltr vortec ltr
Fittings

Do I need the quick connect fittings from wake makers or can I find fittings that will work at Home Depot for the pro x bags